PDA

View Full Version : My first few hours on a lathe or............

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
I still have all my fingers, toes, no knots on my head and I've learned a few things!

My first feeble spindle lesson on Saturday was, for the most part, a success! Using my patented diving board bench to mount my lathe, I managed to take square stock (2x2) and make round stock with long sweeping curves, etc. In doing so, I mangaged to use each of the tools I was so generously provided. It was a good lesson and with photo documentation got the "wolves" off my back for now!:D

Sunday, evening I managed to get into the shop for a couple of hours. I attempted to make a handle for one of the lathe tools. Both attempts were okay. The first attempt was going fine until I tried using the the 3/4 skew which was rapidly getting dull! You know what happened it caught and tore a large gouge out of the wood! I, also ran into a problem, getting the thing cut off. The 2nd attempt went better except that I had to learn 2 things.......1) the center I'm using in the tailstock makes it difficult to turn down to a small enough size with out hitting the center and........when turning sometimes more is less desireable.........a small turned line is more desireable on a handle than practicing your use of the 1/4" gouge or 3/8" skew to make an ring that is more turning and therefore more fun!

Lessons........sometimes:

Long sweeping curves are more desireable on handles

Using a skew can be fun and a good way to smooth things but it must be sharp!

All in all I spent 4 hours this weekend using the new lathe and tools. I can't wait to get back to it but I surely can't wait until that grinder arrives.

Work permitting (I've got an installation going on) I want to build a stand for the grinder this coming weekend.

I want to clean up the sawdust in the new shop and get back into completing it so I can spend more time turning in a well lighted shop!

Then build a permanent bench for the lathe!

Turning really is a kick!:)

Mike Ramsey
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Turning really is a kick!:)

That made me smile for the first time this morning...:)
Glad you had fun Ken!

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Congratulations!
I have no knowledge to offer so I will give suport, lol.

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Folks - please note that he did not say something like - "I hate the skew!"

Don't know what kinda exotic fumes you're sniffing out there Ken, but for a new turner to say "using a skew can be fun" I'm thinking you better send me some!

Happy for you. Best advice I can offer right now is to try to find time each day - even if it's just 30 minutes - to fire up The Bomb.

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 1:08 PM
Hi Ken,

Glad you have had the opportunity to experience and enjoy the the intoxicating and stimulating effects that only a select few, that work with wood, will ever know. Just not the same, as if one is watching and grabs a hand full of chips, takes a good snort, to see if it will work for them.

Hope you have many a fun day with your new found high. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 1:10 PM
Folks - please note that he did not say something like - "I hate the skew!"

Hate the skew??? Heck no! Makes for a great scraper and helps get that angle on the bottom of a bowl recess for the chuck to go into!:D

Ken, we're all really happy you're having a good time with the lathe! Andy was right in figuring you would and the rest of us just haplessly followed along, hoping that he was indeed right, for once! :eek: :D :cool:

Tyler Howell
02-13-2006, 1:11 PM
Finish that Shop!!!!!:mad:
More Pictures!!!!:mad:
Have fun:D

Sparky Paessler
02-13-2006, 1:19 PM
Now there no turning back, your on your way down the slippery slope.

Don Baer
02-13-2006, 2:02 PM
Another one bits the (saw)dust...:D

John Hart
02-13-2006, 2:09 PM
Glad you had fun learning Ken!

Funny...I had fun learning this weekend too!! I happen to like my skew.:o But I like it even better when it's sharp!!

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2006, 2:37 PM
Finish that Shop!!!!!:mad:
More Pictures!!!!:mad:
Have fun:D

Hey Tyler,

Ken's gotta new spinny thang....that shop will be a long while before it gets done now.!!!!:p :rolleyes: :D