PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2006, 9:56 AM
Good Morning,

Another weekend has come and gone. Very cool here this weekend so some time was spent feeding the woodstove in the house. Man, do we ever LOVE that new woodstove.!!!! The house is warm and we are warm in the winter for the 1st time in 6 years.

Spent sometime in the shop this weekend, mostly getting the Robland X-31 ready for it's new owner. I never realized just how many parts that come with that thing!!!!!:eek:

Cleaned up the shop some this weekend and I hauled out just over 450 gallons of lathe curlies that I've collected over the last several months.

Church on Sunday as usual and spent some time with the family last night watching all the winter olympics.....

Back to work today and dreading it already.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Guy Germaine
02-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I spent the weekend getting my new Shop Fox DC set up. Had to make a trip back up to the WW show on Saturday and Sunday for some fittings, hose, etc. Also made a dust port that hangs off the back of my router extension. Works like a champ! :D

Glenn Clabo
02-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Had a great birthday dinner with DrLOML at our favorite special place. Got the DVR XP lathe up and running and turned my first spinny thing. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31132 Watched the Olympics (the HD pictures are simply awesome!), the wind blow and the snow fall from the comfort of home in front of the wood stove. Doesn't get much better than that.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Worked late Friday night. Spent Saturday morning just relaxing. Saturday afternoon I cleaned up the logistical mess that the LOML wanted cleaned up. Saturday eveing I rigged a bench and used the Bomb for the first time. Sunday, SWMBO wanted us to work in the yard but temperatures weren't condusive.........so she said go to the shop..........as I approached the door.........BTW........let's do our taxes....:( I finally got to the shop for a couple of hours later that evening. Learned some things about turning. It was a nice quiet weekend! The next 3 weeks are going to be busy!

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I chronicled my weekend in my shop rehab thread, so won't dkuplicate here. Dennis, I'm with you. At work for 2 1/2 hours already this am, and I'm not enjoying it!! :eek: Jim

Christian Aufreiter
02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Actually, my weekend project had been accomplished some weekends ago but I couldn't take pics until yesterday. Apart from spending several hours sharpening my plane blades and chisels I built a new home for my belt sander. It was a pretty time consuming process to make the plywood base fit the Systainer.

Thanks for looking,

Christian

Matt Meiser
02-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Worked on a new walnut hall table. Got the top veneered, the 2" wide edge glued on, and all the base pieces cut to size and shape. Tonight I'm hoping to get it assembled the rest of the way.

Larry Crim
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Finished these projects bed and tv tray then cleaned the shop. Glad found out I actually had a floor under the chips.
Larry

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31152

Bob Nazro
02-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Well we had lots of snow on Sunday so I was stuck in the shop for most of the day. I'm finishing up a set of 12 drawers for the long bench in the shop. I also modified one of my roll around benches for use as a sheet cut off table for my new EZ Smart Guide system, posted in another thread. Then it was out to the tractor and plowing snow to get to the barn and out to the street. We had about 12" with alot of wind. Glad it was dry powder.

Larry Fox
02-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Finised up a large face-frame on Friday night. Sat worked on a smaller frame but will need to redo some of that due to what I suspect is a bad board. Sunday - SNOW removal. We Philly suburbanites are NOT setup to deal with the 12+" of snow that dumped on us on Sat night.

Art Mulder
02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Good Morning,
So what did YOU do this weekend?

Morning, Dennis,

-SWMBO took the youngest off to her folks for the weekend, so I was solo-parenting the other three. Went fairly well.

- moved the kids furniture from one bedroom to another on Friday night. Next step will be pulling baseboard out of the vacant bdr, painting, ripping up carpet, laying laminate flooring. That might take a few weekends!

- Saturday morning had to make a quick run to work to deal with a crashed server. Argh. But then it was off to the tool store where I confirmed that Bayonet style blades for my Porter Cable jigsaw seem to be going the way of the dodo. Fortunately he found some for me at a close-by repair deptot.

- After that the four of us dropped by the local London Woodworking Show and wandered around for a few hours. Got to spend a few minutes with fellow creeker Dave Eisen, and chatted about his plans for his big Ash Table: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30743 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30743&highlight=ash)
The kids enjoyed wandering around. Not a huge show, but still good. I visited the Delta/PC booth and won a golf shirt. Now I can walk around with a Delta/PC log on my chest -- now, who actually won? Or I could give it to my brother, we'll see.

- Yesterday morning took the kids to church and taught sunday school -- grade one kids can be a challenge to keep on topic!

In the afternoon I got to spend some time cleaning up the shop, and loaded some new 18% Tungsten HSS blades onto my Delta X5 jointer (new in December). Took a bit to figure that out, but the results are great. Got rid of the lengthwise ridges. (the stock blades must not be that great, or the SYP that I ran through it to test it must have had some grit or pin-knots in it that knicked the stock blades pretty thoroughly.)

In between the house updating over the next few weeks I've got a dollhouse bookcase in the planning stage for my 5-yr-old. Should keep me out of trouble.

And later this week I'm off to Michigan for a short trip. I'm looking forward to checking out the Grand Rapids Woodcraft. Hopefully they've got the same deal on Bessey clamps that the Austin store does, as I read about in another thread. But I won't hold my breath.

...art

Bill Simmeth
02-13-2006, 10:46 AM
As I hoped, on Saturday I was able to finish gutting the last room on the Victorian I am restoring before the snow really started to pile up. Spent Sunday morning shoveling and plowing 13" of the white stuff. Pales in comparison to some of the totals up North, but hey, they live up North! Thirteen inches is a pile for us Southern boys.

Spent Sunday afternoon, evening and part of last night back at the Victorian (which now houses our offices). Some yahoo in an SUV thought his ride could handle anything and proceeded to take down the utility pole across the street that provides our underground service drops. He took our power, 10 phone lines and internet T1 line along with it! :mad: But, my hat's off to Virginia Power and Verizon. I was concerned that since our building was the only location affected it would take a while for repairs. With a only a little coaxing, crews had a new pole installed and service restored by 10PM. Not bad!

Bryan Somers
02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Got the new shelves for the laundry room built and up. Finally got to try out the new router, giving the shelves a decrotive edge (the LOML liked that). Felt like crap so didnt get them painted.

Maurice Metzger
02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Got two sets of dovetail pins sawn. Didn't cut any of the mortises I planned on.

Steve Ash
02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
No shop time, but it was a wood related weekend just the same. Saturday I visited the shop teacher at Durand Public schools ( I used to coach him in baseball when he was in his early teens) and got a tour of the shop and the projects his students are making.

Sunday went to church with a old college friend and then looked at his stash of walnut lumber... I tried to buy some of it from him and he is giving it some thought.

Keel McDonald
02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I finished my second rush seat project and began the third. I've got 6 to do in all. I must admit, it is more of a job than I anticipated. Hope you enjoy the pics. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Mike Cutler
02-13-2006, 12:31 PM
It was a pretty good weekend.

I had my birthday on saturday and spent some big$$$$ at the local Woodcraft in RI. Gloats to follow.
Spent sunday during the "raging Historical Storm", in the shop taking my old tablesaw apart to make some needed room.;) :D

Don Baer
02-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Spent part of saturday painting the inside of my Garage. The cabinets that I built 17 years ago were begining to look a bit tatered and since we are getting ready to sell this place LOML suggested that I give the whole garage a once over. Went to church Sunday morning, more painting in the afternoon and watched the Budwiser shootout from Datona.

John Viola
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Went to NH with the wife and kids to visit wife's college friends on Saturday, then got snowed in on Sunday and did my taxes and played with my daughters. Sunday PM spent an hour and a half removing 20" of snow from driveway and walkway. No shop time because the minivan was in the garage.

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 1:04 PM
Worked Fri. evening. Sat. morning, got the oil changed on my car and then it was off to the big city with my daughter. Had lunch at Micky D's, ran a few errands and took a little bite out of the Marcus Theater gift card we received for Christmas. Sat. evening, got talked into sitting down for yet another movie, at home this time. Sunday finally got a few productive things done. Fixed a multi-panel picture frame the LOML broke some time ago, hung up a simple display I threw together for my daughter, picked up the shop a bit and actually tried turning the lathe on for a while. (Shoulda' turned it "off" sooner than I did!:mad: ) Hope you all have a great week! :) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 1:06 PM
I'm blaming everyone to the south and west of me for my inability to begin the project I said i would. Spent Saturday cleaning shop and getting prepped for project. Then spent Sunday waiting to deal with all the snow those south and west folks got. Ya didn't leave any for me to deal with except about 3". Sheesh.

Okay. Project is now underway.

John Hart
02-13-2006, 1:08 PM
Spent nearly the whole weekend working on my Next IT Contest entry. Loads of fun...still not sure if it's going to work out yet or not. Finished a bowl from a piece of Hickory that Andy Hoyt sent me....Played Monopoly with the girls...
Quiet weekend.:)

Mark Rios
02-13-2006, 1:11 PM
There was a weekend?

Tyler Howell
02-13-2006, 1:20 PM
Some shop time and lots of family time this weekend.
Mom is not very happy with her new living arrangement so I've been doing a lot of back and forth with her.
Youngest and I worked on remuttling and then went to the Ballet. :D

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 1:22 PM
Youngest and I worked on remuttling and then went to the Ballet. :D

Oh no!!!:eek: Please, please don't tell us a pink tu-tu is part or your wardrobe, too!!!:eek: :D :cool:

tod evans
02-13-2006, 1:24 PM
worked on some antiques for a customer, worked on a roof-bow for a 41 chevy for another customer and spent several hours on the wifes 39 installing a new motor....02 tod

David Duke
02-13-2006, 1:29 PM
Went back an check my post in Karl's "Weekend Doing" post and pretty much did what I had planned. Wet to the Houston WW Club meeting for the first time and met lots of nice folks, found out about a "splinter" group that meets not to far from me (actually about the same distance but nowhere near the traffic) and hope to make this gathering next week. Got the hardware for my clock project and almost finished the woodworking part on that hope to begin finishing by the end of the week.

The best part of my weekend however was what I think turned into a pretty good gloat as posted here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31074

Mike Zozakiewicz
02-13-2006, 1:40 PM
Had a full weekend! Visited my daughter and her boyfriend in Green Bay on Fri/Sat; They go to school there. Sunday went to the Home Improvement show in Milwaukee, we are replacing some of the vinyl floors in our house this spring and wanted to review the options. Looks like it will be ceramic tile.

As I am new to fine woodworking I am working my way through different type of joinery. I used keyed miters for the jewelry boxes I did at Christmas and now I build a box joint sled and cut the joints to make 4 recipe boxes out of cedar on Sunday morning. I did these on the table saw, but I think next time I would do it on the router table. Oh ya, I bought the Hitachi M12V for $129 from Amazon too!

Have a good week everyone!

Lee DeRaud
02-13-2006, 1:43 PM
I'm blaming everyone to the south and west of me for my inability to begin the project I said i would. Spent Saturday cleaning shop and getting prepped for project. Then spent Sunday waiting to deal with all the snow those south and west folks got. Ya didn't leave any for me to deal with except about 3". Sheesh.Don't blame that on me: I'm about as far south and west of you as I can get without moving to Australia...and we were in the 80's both days.

Anyhow, started a new box, something a bit different for me...got the sides cut and glued up. Pics to follow when/if I can get my head around what I'm going to do for the top and bottom, something I normally do first.

Bruce Page
02-13-2006, 1:45 PM
I spent another weekend on Kodiak Island</ST1:p….:( I tried to drive the 45 miles in to town on Sunday but the roads were too icy for this desert dweller.
On the bright side, I’m flying off the island on Thursday and then catching the red-eye home. :) :D :) :D :)

Jim Hager
02-13-2006, 2:26 PM
I got half a day off on Friday for the snow. We dismissed at school at 10:30 so I headed home for a little early start on the weekend of work in the shop. I put out 34 raised panel doors by Saturday night and then started on a set of maple cabinet components. Two 96x27 ends with 6 panels each, 3 base cabinet ends, 1 upper cabinet end and one set of panels for the end of a bookshelf. I found out too late last night that this all could have been done with mdf as the lady of the house has decided to paint the cabinets. He was sick because I already have them cut out with solid maple. I have got to get these out this week sometime. Any of you guys need a partime job. I have a 3 day weekend coming up next weekend as we get off from school for president's day. I'm gonna try to put a finish on the set of kitchen cabinets that I have going.

tod evans
02-13-2006, 2:33 PM
I got half a day off on Friday for the snow. We dismissed at school at 10:30 so I headed home for a little early start on the weekend of work in the shop. I put out 34 raised panel doors by Saturday night and then started on a set of maple cabinet components. Two 96x27 ends with 6 panels each, 3 base cabinet ends, 1 upper cabinet end and one set of panels for the end of a bookshelf. I found out too late last night that this all could have been done with mdf as the lady of the house has decided to paint the cabinets. He was sick because I already have them cut out with solid maple. I have got to get these out this week sometime. Any of you guys need a partime job. I have a 3 day weekend coming up next weekend as we get off from school for president's day. I'm gonna try to put a finish on the set of kitchen cabinets that I have going.

jim, if you wanna make a roadtrip i`ll shoot `em for ya...02 tod

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2006, 2:33 PM

You're WAY too busy for me Jim. I don't see how you do it!!!! One day, Mark and I will come up for a visit, but with you being so busy most of the time, we'll have to work a "schedule" to see when we can come up and visit. :rolleyes:

Jim Hager
02-13-2006, 2:37 PM
jim, if you wanna make a roadtrip i`ll shoot `em for ya...02 tod

I can have em shot before I could get the trailer loaded. the kitchen has 11 base units and 7 upper units. Not sure my trailer would haul the all anyway.

Jim Hager
02-13-2006, 2:39 PM
You're WAY too busy for me Jim. I don't see how you do it!!!! One day, Mark and I will come up for a visit, but with you being so busy most of the time, we'll have to work a "schedule" to see when we can come up and visit. :rolleyes:

Come on up anytime you get ready, just wear your working clothes. We'll take a break at lunch and go to subway and have a visit. I'm too busy to suit myself. I can't turn away the business as I plan to be doing this full time within just over a year from now. I'm afraid if I turn the business down it won't come back when I need it to.

tod evans
02-13-2006, 2:41 PM
I can have em shot before I could get the trailer loaded. the kitchen has 11 base units and 7 upper units. Not sure my trailer would haul the all anyway.

how much compressor you got?

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2006, 2:46 PM
Come on up anytime you get ready, just wear your working clothes. We'll take a break at lunch and go to subway and have a visit. I'm too busy to suit myself. I can't turn away the business as I plan to be doing this full time within just over a year from now. I'm afraid if I turn the business down it won't come back when I need it to.

Sounds like "fun".!!!! Ok then, I won't wear my "nice" bib overalls, I'll wear my "working" bib's when we come to visit so I can do some "hands-on" stuff. :D

Chris Dodge
02-13-2006, 2:51 PM
I delivered a walnut bathroom cabinet to a client in Hollywood on Saturday. I was very concerned about this delivery because the customer is extremely picky. The walnut had to have just the right colors in it (not all dark walnut color) and there could be no knots, the grain structure had to be just so and the finish had to be mirror smooth. She was paying for all of this so that wasn't a problem. I was just fearful that she would look at it, say it was nice, and then want me to go back and change something.

I knocked on her door, she opened, and screamed...but it was a good scream. She kept saying over and over that it was absolutely perfect. So now she has given me four more furniture projects: a kitchen table, two end tables and some bookshelves.

Not a bad weekend!

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures because I was sure I was going to have to make some changes to the cabinet. She said she would take pictures of the finished bathroom when all is completed and send me a copy. I'll post them then.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 2:52 PM
I got a few things done this weekend on "my list". Saturday, after Dr. SWMBO got back from the supermarket, I took some time to get the hitch receiver on the Highlander (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31071) before the snows started. Later in the day, I spent some time cleaning up the upstairs of the shop building in preparation for moving a lot of my wood and turning stock storage up there. Since we are planning an addition to the house, the upstairs of the shop is no longer being considered for finished space...so I might as well use it more fully. Besides...it was a total mess. My photo booth will also reside up there full-time. Sunday, after spending some time clearing a bit more than a foot of snow from the driveway (some quality time on the Kubota...), I headed out to the 'borg for some shelving supplies and then installed them so I can start thinking about moving said turning stock one of these days. I also completed a handle (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31160) for the P&N scraper I picked up during the recent Woodcraft one-day sale.

Saturday, eldest daughter had her first "away from home" experience with a visit to a friend's house for three hours. It was nice as she got the chance to enjoy the company of her friend and we got the opportunity to spend time with the younger without the older present. At just over two months as part of a functioning family, it was a little early for such things, but we felt there were some benefits that outweighed the risks. (These things are hard for folks not familiar with adoption and attachment to understand...so you'll just have to trust that there are things very different from bio kids in this respect early in the relationship) It did go well all around and we will likely have her friend over here, perhaps next weekend, for a few hours and see how that goes.

Vaughn McMillan
02-13-2006, 2:56 PM
Pretty much got all the Weekend Doin's list done or in progress. Got LOML's trellis finished and installed, milled the wood and started the initial glue-ups for a pool cue case I'm starting, and started the panels I need to lower a recently-installed doggie door. Also did other house chores like snaking a drain and washing the dogs.

As Lee mentioned, it was another horrible SoCal winter weekend weather-wise. Low to mid 80's Saturday and Sunday at the house. I'm sure all you folks on the East Coast feel real sorry for us out here. ;)

- Vaughn

Chip Olson
02-13-2006, 2:56 PM
Saturday I attached the legs to the fold-down outfeed table, then put a first coat of finish on the bottom (it's 3/4" BB). Determined that using a paint pad to apply water-base was a complete lose, but that's why I tried it on a surface that won't be seen. Also determined that using my table saw as a finishing table is a really stupid idea, but at least the stuff cleans up easily. I'd picked up a sheet of 1/2" BB to make a panel sled, so I cut that to size and used the offcut to cut the blank for the sleeve board I'm fixing for a seamstress friend (replacing the broken piece of particleboard it was made with).

Sunday I did a lot of shoveling, but also put a second coat on the outfeed table (with a foam brush this time), completed the sleeve board and made a couple of ZCIs. I'd been careless enough to crank the saw over to 45&deg; with the 90&deg; ZCI in place, which wasn't so good for it. (Blade was unharmed, but I had to unbend the tongue of the blade guard/splitter.) Learned the hard way (again) that wearing a dust mask when routing and sanding MDF is a <i>really</i> good idea.

Next I'll reinstall the outfeed table, level it (I got some adjustable feet for this purpose) and rout the miter-guage channels. Then I'll build the panel sled. <i>Then</i> I'll finally be able to start cutting the panels for the kitchen cabinets. In my line of work (software engineering), we call this "yak shaving".

Jim Hager
02-13-2006, 4:46 PM
how much compressor you got?

I use a croix turbine and a turbine air HVLP gun. I can spray all day without taking a break.:D

Jim Hager
02-13-2006, 4:47 PM
Sounds like "fun".!!!! Ok then, I won't wear my "nice" bib overalls, I'll wear my "working" bib's when we come to visit so I can do some "hands-on" stuff. :D

I'll even put on my bibs when you come so we will look like brothers or something like that. I look forward to the meeting:)

tod evans
02-13-2006, 5:27 PM
I use a croix turbine and a turbine air HVLP gun. I can spray all day without taking a break.:D

if`n ya need hep i wuz gonna load up the buckboard and a couple of paint guns and offer a hand? that`s why-come i asked.....02 tod

Bob Noles
02-13-2006, 6:09 PM
Hi Dennis and all....

My weekend did an about face from the way I had it planned. I did not even get near the shop the entire 48 hours. Spent most of Saturday playing taxi for my son who had his car in the shop for a scheduled 60,000 maintenance. That turned into quite a mess by days end when the shop locked his key inside the car and he lives 20 miles from the shop where the extra key is kept :( Not good to say the least, but at least we did get to go pick up his new side kick (puppy) during the course of the day.

After church on Sunday I had planned to do a little shop cleaning and organizing, but that all got changed when a BIL showed up for an unexpected visit. :rolleyes:

Oh well... there is always next weekend :)

No wait..... I forgot that is the weekend we are going to the Smokey mountains for an R&R reunion with the "extended family". :eek:

Okay then... there is always the weekend after that :D :D

Karl Laustrup
02-13-2006, 6:37 PM
Well, my weekend went. A trip to Madtown [didn't see Spring & his daughter though] to pick up a new plasma TV.

The rest of the weekend just flew by trying to get it together and working so we could watch the Olympics. Was able to get an HD picture for the Olympics and WOW. Can hardly wait to see some of the Discovery Channel shows in HD.

Glad the week has started. Now the guys can get back to building a house.

Karl

Fred Voorhees
02-13-2006, 7:13 PM
Not a whole heck of a lot of shop time this past weekend. Spent some of Saturday framing out an enclosure that will hide the pvc conduit that supplies the electricity out to the garage/woodshop that was installed years ago and is now inside of the closet in the bar room. It has been quite visible inside the closet since building the room. I'm using some left over oak and birch beadboard from various projects to close it in. I have been wanting to finish the closet for some time now and I got around to finishing the cieling of the closet with Armstrong acoustical tile while I was laid off a few weeks ago and mounted the pool cue rack inside on one wall and when this enclosure is completed, I can finish up the trim job and install some shelving to complete the inside of the closet and be done with it. Sunday was pretty much dedicated to cleaning up after the massive snowstorm that we suffered through overnight Saturday and into Sunday. Hours spent clearing the driveway with my trusty Simplicity snowblower. Really was too much snow for the machine and I had to go over everything twice to really do some sort of credable job.

john mclane
02-13-2006, 8:00 PM
Took a planer class at the local woodcraft. Taught by a member of the Society of American Period Furniture makers, Mickey Callahan. To a novice like me it was great. He showed the difference between the old Stanley and the new ones, how to check alignments and contact points and correct them, flattening the sole, sharpening and just general tuning. He brought an old one in that had not been refurbished and went through some of the steps he would take. Now I need to practice.

Spent the rest of the weekend shoveling or laying out the base of a workbench I'm working on.

Don't forget Valentine's Day tomorrow