PDA

View Full Version : how about this lathe?

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 9:21 AM
OOOK, hubby and I are looking to buy a lathe, but as I know nothing about them I need your help:p We have 4 kidos so if possiable we need to find a good deal on one, does this have everything it is suposed to?
31771 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Woodworking-Lathe-Carpentry-wood-tools-lathes_W0QQitemZ7589284524QQcategoryZ66940QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

31772 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Cast-Iron-Pulley-Driven-Mini-Wood-Lathe_W0QQitemZ6035736106QQcategoryZ42282QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

heres anouther one

31774 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-HOBBY-WOODWORKING-LATHE-NEW-w-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ7588427396QQcategoryZ61574QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem)

I am still looking on ebay so I will probably add a few links in a bit.
Huggs
Val

Jim Ketron
02-13-2006, 9:25 AM
A lot depends on what you want to make.
The lathe you show would be good for only small turnings and pens.
the last one has no motor so you would need to buy one and a pulley that matches the pulley on the lathe
Give us a little more info on what projects you want to make?

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 9:37 AM
crochet hooks. Of course over time we want to make bigger, nicer things, but for now till we get some practice, we jsut need one for crochet hooks. I will add that we will in the future buy a better lathe, we intend to have 2, in case I want to use it while hubby is on it, so this purchase will be for the "extra" per say, a better one will follow.
Thanks for the help
Huggs
Val

Bob Noles
02-13-2006, 9:51 AM
Valerie,

If you want a lot of value for the least amount of money, you may want to look up the PSI TurnCrafter Pro on Amazon. $169 with free shipping and can handle the jobs you are wanting to do very well. This is the lathe I have and recommend it highly as a good starter lathe.

Chris Barton
02-13-2006, 9:58 AM
Val,

If a mini lathe is what you want to start with (and it is a good choice), I would second Bob's suggestion to aim at a higher quality machine with more capabilities. I have never heard anyone say they wished their lathe would do less so, start with the very best you can afford in this range and there are many including, Jet, PSI, Rikon, etc...

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey Val,

OK, while I do realize the financial impact, I must agree with Bob & Chris. Except for the iron bed one, which needs a motor, the rest, I'm afraid, you would be disappointed with. A lathe needs a little mass to it, even if you're just doing small spindle-type items. My greatest "fear" if you were to purchase one of those real low-line units is, you would be greatly disappointed and be forever disgruntled with the world of turning. That would be a real shame and one which may have been caused by poor equipment. If you can't do it now, wait a bit and save up for the PSI or similar. In the long-run, you'll be happier and the rest of us here would probably get to see a bunch more of your & your hubby's work for some time to come! :D Just MHO... :) :cool:

Bill Grumbine
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Valerie

I started out with a cheesy Chinese lathe and it cut five years off my turning career. I knew nothing about turning, and had a catch that broke the lathe, bent the tool into a hairpin, threw the wood across the shop, and scared me so bad that I didn't touch it for five more years! :eek:

I do not know much about the PSI lathe, but I would recommend that you set your sights at least that high. Otherwise, you are going to be lamenting money wasted. Those other lathes look capable of turning small spindle projects, but you are going to discover slop and poor adjustment capability that will cause you no end of frustration. I can say for sure that a Jet mini would be an excellent choice for price and quality, and if you ever decide to get rid of it, it will have a much higher resale value.

My current machines are very expensive, at the top of the lathe food chain, but I did not start there. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, but starting one step from the bottom with a decent mini will make life a lot happier for everyone in your family.

Good luck with it!

Bill

John Hart
02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I can speak to the Central Machinery one in the last picture. I bought that one about 2 years ago, even though I had a full-sized machine. I thought it would be good for chesspieces and pens...besides...it was $10 at a Harbor Freight sale. :) But, it just plain scares me. The headstock and tailstock are just too moveable after being tightened down and the parts are kinda not very good neither....not to mention it only has one speed....Fast.:eek:

It sits in a cabinet and will never be used.

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys, yall sound just like my hubby!lol He gets agrevated cause I always shop for the best deal, sometimes it works out, sometimes it dosent. My father in law just called and said that he would go in half with us on a lathe. He used to turn pens and wants to get back into it. Its not that we are totally broke, when we first married we had NOTHING and now that he has a good job, I have a hard time letting go of cash, know what I mean. So my FIL says that to get a good lathe that will last, as well as the stuff that goes with it, we need to put in about 150 or so apiece. Hes a smart man, so I usually take his advice. I told him about the ones yall sugested, he agrees, lol.

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Valerie

I started out with a cheesy Chinese lathe ......

......but starting one step from the bottom with a decent mini will make life a lot happier for everyone in your family.

Good luck with it!

Bill

Hey Bill, I take some offense to your using "cheesy" and "Chinese" when referring to a certain junky product!!!:mad: :D (Hey, us Cheeseheads are a sensitive bunch, you know!:) )

Val, Mr. Grumbine is one of the premier turners 'round these parts. He's well versed in the techniques, accessories and major equipment, which surrounds turning. When he speaks, we listen! (Well, except for the "cheesy" comment!:rolleyes: ):) :cool:

Ron Ainge
02-13-2006, 1:04 PM
Valerie

I have three lathes and use all of them for different reasons. I have two large Delta lathes and one Jet Mini. I love all three lathes but I find my self going back to the Jet when I have something smaller to turn. I bought the VS model for just over $300 at a sale. If you can get one of them I think that you will be very happy with it. It sounds like you have a great father in law that would be able to give you and your husband some start up lessons. Best of luck to the three of you.

Bill Grumbine
02-13-2006, 8:48 PM
Hey Bill, I take some offense to your using "cheesy" and "Chinese" when referring to a certain junky product!!!:mad: :D (Hey, us Cheeseheads are a sensitive bunch, you know!:) )

John, you'll just have to come to LaCrosse in April to throw some cheeseballs at me! :p

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
02-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Val, you may want to look into the local chapter of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners). People are always upgrading lathes and some get rid of their smaller ones. I think before a member would sell you a cheesy lathe, they would tell you it was cheesy, but you might come away with a good little lathe at a good price.

Ernie

Cody Colston
02-13-2006, 9:18 PM
Val,

I completely agree with Bill's recommendation. In fact, I'm sorta proud that I gave the same advice to someone on another forum just a few days ago.

Also, when it comes to lathes and turning, if Bill tells you a chicken dips snuff, you can look under it's wing for the box. :D

Corey Hallagan
02-13-2006, 9:39 PM
I have the PSI proturner lathe. It is a very good lathe for the money. It was rated the best Value by one of the magazines for whatever that is worth.

Corey

David Fried
02-13-2006, 9:41 PM
Val, you may want to look into the local chapter of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) ... you might come away with a good little lathe at a good price.

Ernie

Val,

I'll second Ernie's suggestion. I just got my first newsletter from our local AAW chapter and there are two lathes for sale. One is cast iron, with bench and tools for 175!

Dave Fried

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 10:02 PM
John, you'll just have to come to LaCrosse in April to throw some cheeseballs at me! :p

Bill

Sent you PM!!!:D :cool:

Randy Meijer
02-14-2006, 5:27 AM
Check out the Wilton. Supposedly they can be had for about 100 bucks and the folks who have them say they are a good value for ther money.

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 6:02 AM

Bill

Bill, did I miss something somewhere? Wouldn't be the first time. :o

You're going to be in LaCrosse in April? When? Where? It's only about 80-90 miles. I'd really like to try and get up there to see you.

Karl

Jim Dunn
02-14-2006, 5:23 PM
Val, my opinion of lathes is the same as about all of the above, however. I had a chance to "jump" on a Sears 53yr old lathe for $100.00 and did it. Now I have 3 times that much in tools and chucks and such. It's a never ending pit.:eek: Much like having a boat, cept you don't need water for a lathe:) Try to keep in mind that tools don't stay sharp very long=grinder. You may want to turn a bowl or small box=chuck. The list goes on and on.

Let FIL accessorize you lathe as pen turning is kinda specilized=spend his money. Have a great Xmas next year and give each of the kids a gift card to the local turning shop;)

Good luck in your search.

Jim

valerie williams
02-15-2006, 9:12 AM
Thanks guys! Hopefully in about 18 hours I will be the proud winner of a JET 708329 Mini Pen Lathe- NEW with WARRANTY

hehe, wish me luck!

Rich Stewart
02-15-2006, 9:21 AM
Post pics of the new addition. Make sure to have some tools ready and a couple pieces of wood. Really sucks to have to look at a lathe and then have to wait till the rest of the stuff comes in. Good luck. You going to have some fun now.

valerie williams
02-15-2006, 9:30 AM
Post pics of the new addition. Make sure to have some tools ready and a couple pieces of wood. Really sucks to have to look at a lathe and then have to wait till the rest of the stuff comes in. Good luck. You going to have some fun now.

oh, um, what tools? wood I can get, wood I have, but tools? oopsie.

and corey, if I dont win this auction, we are going for the PSI.

Cam Grabast
02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I have the PSI proturner lathe. It is a very good lathe for the money. It was rated the best Value by one of the magazines for whatever that is worth.

Corey

I own this lathe also. I bought it as a backup, but after using it - it's the one I use 99% of the time. Excellent value - and so far it's been super dependable.

Randy Meijer
02-15-2006, 2:17 PM
Thanks guys! Hopefully in about 18 hours I will be the proud winner of a JET 708329 Mini Pen Lathe- NEW with WARRANTY

hehe, wish me luck!

I know you are excited and I am sorry to burst your bubble; but if this is the lathe I am thinking of, please don't buy it unless it goes for about $25 or until you have talked to someone about it. It is very limited in what it will do and you will likely be dissatisfied. It has not been a popular item and JET has discontinued it so getting repair/replacement parts will be difficult or impossible. BTW, your description is confusimg. JET makes a Pen Lathe and a Mini lathe; but not a Mini Pen lathe. I suspect you are bidding on the Pen Lathe which is the one that has been discontinued. I've had one of those lathe and they are not a good choice for most people!!! It is really tiny, weighs only 12 lbs. and under powered

For what these lathes normally sell for on eBay, you can add about $25 to $50 and get a much better machine!!! Randy

Don Baer
02-15-2006, 2:23 PM
Val;
I looked up the lathe and Randy is correct. I don't think this is what you need to get. Here is a pic of the model you are refering to.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000C6DYL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

John Miliunas
02-15-2006, 2:31 PM
Val, I already PM'd you regarding the Pen Lathe. I went out and found the review done by our own esteemed Ken Salisbury. This man has made more pens and similar small items than many of us combined and he knows what he speaks of! Check out his review here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4822

IMHO, keep searching or go for the PSI, Rikon Mini or the real Jet Mini! :) :cool:

valerie williams
02-15-2006, 2:53 PM
I know you guys are right, So now I am sitting here hopeing I am out bid, lol. Thats never happened before!

Randy Meijer
02-15-2006, 3:16 PM
Quick....retract your bid. You can still do it with more than 12 hours left. That lathe only sold for $149 when new at the store. Check this out; but first RETRACT YOUR BID. Don't take a chance that someone will out bid you. It is a very high price already!!!

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclpro.html (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclpro.html)

Don Baer
02-15-2006, 3:18 PM
Randy beat me to it...Retract your bid... NOW before it's too late.

Randy Meijer
02-15-2006, 3:21 PM
Gee, Don. You didn't need to scream at her. A firm yell would have done the job.:D :D

Bill Grumbine
02-15-2006, 3:23 PM
Bill, did I miss something somewhere? Wouldn't be the first time. :o

You're going to be in LaCrosse in April? When? Where? It's only about 80-90 miles. I'd really like to try and get up there to see you.

Karl

Hi Karl

I don't think you missed anything, because I haven't said a lot about it yet, but I am supposed to demonstrate for the AAW club in LaCrosse the weekend after Easter. I am in the process of trying to set up another demo for another club (no one in mind yet) or set up some lessons for anyone interested while I am out there.

Bill

valerie williams
02-15-2006, 3:26 PM
ok guys, point taken! LOL.
I didnt know you could do that, I will go try to figure it out now,
Huggs
Val