PDA

View Full Version : Bowl progress

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 8:12 AM
I still can't decide if this is going to be a bowl or a vassssssse. But I turned the outside and it kinda looks more like an urn? I turned the blank around after generally roughing the outside. I then drilled a hole and started hollowing it out. I had bought a Robert S. hollowing tool and it is sweeet. So easy for the novice to use as evidence my hollowing adventure. I tried to use a bowl gouge I had bought, but the learning curve is longer than my attention span.:eek:

Going to finish roughing it out tonight the soak in DNA. It's got a little punky spot so I'm going to use the epoxy/DNA method for the first time.

Sparky Paessler
02-13-2006, 8:50 AM
Hey Jim that lathe looks familure. I started turning on one just like that! Good little lathe.

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 9:23 AM
That's a bowl Jimbo. You can tell by how effortlessly it will hold a full two pints of Chocolate Mint Chip

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Jim, I see you broke that one ( like in bronco ). Looks like it's coming along just fine, cant wait to see it finished.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-13-2006, 1:03 PM
Now Jim...I'm having some difficulty. How is it that you turned that bowl (if you decide it's a bowl) and there is no evidence on your lathe whatsoever or anywhere in the shop that you ever turned anything. Not one scrap, no little tiny bits of anything.....anywhere. Please 'splain this.

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 1:29 PM
John, I also had some question in regards to everything looking so spiffy.

Additionally, Jim's earlier comments regarding "dirty". So I ventured off to take a look at his Pubic Profile, with a genuine interest in his Occupation.

This fully, explains, with any doubt, any questions one may have. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-13-2006, 1:34 PM
LOL:D Ok ok....

Jim,
I'm not going to harass you any more. You want things clean...I'm ok with that.:)

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 1:40 PM
I take it back - that is not a bowl.

It's - umm - a chamber pot.

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 2:52 PM
Actually the clean part is just me:o I admitt it "I am a clean freak". But with good reason. When I was a machinist, in another life, clean was a necessaty. If it was dirty it wouldn't be round/square/flat/parallel what ever the customer wanted. So when I went to wood working I attacked it like I was taught in my apprenticeship for metal.

Now in my current profession it's necessary to keep your hands washed but that is as far as it goes. I've many a time stripped and put my clothes right in the trash can.:eek::eek: The wife wasn't to happy with me standing on the patio with my drawers on either:cool:

Course if I keep it clean, the shop that is, then the wife is a happy camper too:rolleyes::D:D. Makes life so much easier:p

Keith Burns
02-13-2006, 3:52 PM
Great start on that Bowl.:) I'm glad to see another clean freak:D To me it's an indication of talent and intelligence:D . You see, I too clean my work area after each turning or project.

John Hart
02-13-2006, 4:25 PM
You see, I too clean my work area after each turning or project.

I know this about you Keith. And let me say that it makes me feel just awful when I post pictures of my shop knowing that you are just freaking out. :o

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 4:31 PM
Well Keith I gotta admit, I may be a little cleaner than you suspect. See, I clean up the floor each time I turn off the lathe:o:o:o:o (how many of these little faces can you put at one time). I just take the dust collector hose and suck em up off the floor. I like to know what I'm standing on.:rolleyes:

John Hart
02-13-2006, 4:36 PM
I like to know what I'm standing on.:rolleyes:

Now see...It's just a matter of perspective. I do know what I'm standing on. Maple...walnut...buckeye....cocobolo....myrtle. Every now and then, I'll fluff it alittle so my tootsies are comfy.:)

Travis Stinson
02-13-2006, 7:34 PM
Great start on that Bowl.:) I'm glad to see another clean freak:D To me it's an indication of talent and intelligence:D . You see, I too clean my work area after each turning or project.
Uh-oh!:eek:
I'd better start cleaning NOW!:o

Jim Ketron
02-13-2006, 8:40 PM
LOL Travis!
Looks like your off to a good start Jim cant wait to see it finished!

Ernie Nyvall
02-13-2006, 9:31 PM
Uhoh, I clean the chips up when it would start being more comfortable to hold the chisels between my knees.:eek:

That's a nice start Jim, but if you put Chocolate mint chip in it, you are certainly heading down the wrong path. Rocky Road with extra roasted almonds is the only thing that should go in there.:D

ernie

Jim Dunn
02-14-2006, 7:16 AM
Well the "chamber pot" (per Andy) went into the DNA bath last night. It was already starting to go out of round in less than 24 hrs. I went ahead and removed a little more material, just in the bottom, before I took it off the lathe.
I've got 2 questions:

1: Can I still do the DNA/epoxie method after the DNA soak?
2: Should I, when I get ready to finish it, re-turn the tennon so it's some what round again? (I'm thinking the tennon will be out of round as the rest of the pot is out already.)

These are newbie questions so be easy on an old man.

John Hart
02-14-2006, 7:31 AM
1: Can I still do the DNA/epoxie method after the DNA soak?
2: Should I, when I get ready to finish it, re-turn the tennon so it's some what round again? (I'm thinking the tennon will be out of round as the rest of the pot is out already.)

I'll try to answer....ya'll feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

1. You would definitely want to do the epoxy after the DNA soak. The DNA bath will dry the wood and give you better bonding with the epoxy. I would think that green wet wood would not bond well.
2. As long as there's plenty of wall available...round is better. Nothing gets me more tired than trying to sand a lopsided piece spinning at 100 miles an hour!:eek:

Tom Sontag
02-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Lookin' good Jim. I am going to vote for bowl too.

Man, when you clean, you don't leave ANY evidence!

Jim Dunn
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks Tom. I've been eyeing the next piece as well but it's got a knot in it and I'm not sure zackly how to cut it as yet.

Mike Ramsey
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
It's alright to have shavings on the floor! Actually you can never
have to much on there as you never know when the odd stray
cat might wonder in & will need a place to go..:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Jim that is going to be a good looking bowl. Can't wait to see it finished. By the way I am with you on the clean part. In my job now clean is the order of the day. You don't leave until your area at the end of a day is clean. After 30 years it is kinda hard to break a habit. It has just followed me home. I clean up every time I turn off the lathe.

Jim Dunn
02-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Way to go Bernie. I thought I was the only one who did that. Glad we don't work in the same room we'd have the vacumn and dust buster going all day and not get anything done:)

Corey Hallagan
02-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Excellent Jim!! Coming along great! Oh, and I am with you guys. I don't go in the shop unless I can add 30 minutes to the available time for clean up. Shop is just to small. Of course I am the guy that cleans most of the house anyway, while the wife does alot of running. When I was a kid we made our beds and helped with the household chores before we ever got breakfeast. Definitely hard to break old habits.

Corey

Barry Stratton
02-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Great start on that bowl. And you clean types - ya'll are WELCOME to visit my Alaska 1/2 garage shop anytime!!!!