PDA

View Full Version : Frame Cupping

Darren Vass
02-13-2006, 6:58 AM
Hello Gentlemen:

This is my first post. I live in Northeast Wisconsin in the Fox Valley. Would like to get to know some members in the area to share ideas and to learn from them. I am not new to woodworking, but had primarily started doing household jobs like crown moulding installs, and then loudspeaker building and a cabinet for the hifi system. As time went on, it just seems like a natural progression to build a dedicated woodworking shop. This is what I'm currently doing. (I promise I'll get to the thread question;just wanted to introduce myself). I currently have a low end crafstman 10 inch tablesaw (the kind for $175). I bought it when I did not think I would do much more than rectangular speaker boxes (wish I could sell it and get a decent saw now). I recently got a 14 inch Jet deluxe bandsaw with the riser and mobile base. Am currently building my router table for a Jessem top and fence and am working on dust collection (shop is in my basement that is partially finished).

OK, I bought this mirror from Hobby Lobby: Nicely profiled 36 by 24 frame about 4 inches wide (I know, I should have built one). I'm not sure if it's paint or some sort of paper glued on to the front of the frame for the rust type color. The backside looks like MDF or particle board; it's plain. The whole frame, I've noticed, is cupped with the corners toward the front, with the greater bow along the longer sides. I was wondering whether anyone could offer a suggestion as to how I can flatten it. The gap at the middle of the long edge measures about 1/4 inch on both sides and about 1/8 along the shorter side.

I was wondering whether veneering the back of the frame with some oak edging veneer I have makes sense? Is there a particular glue I could use that might cause enough shrinkage so as to pull the frame flat?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

BTW, this is truly a great forum. I have never seen people so cordial and helpful. Makes me think that I chose the right hobby and forum.

Darren

Matt Warfield
02-13-2006, 7:25 AM
Hi Darren and welcome to the Creek!!

Not sure I know of a reliable way to straighten the frame out. I'd most likely try to rout a groove and epoxy a length of aluminum angle into each side. Or maybe, I'd just replace the frame.:D

Marcus Ward
02-13-2006, 7:38 AM
It's probably bowing because there's something laminated on the front. Rear is allowed to absorb moisture, which causes it to grow, making it cup towards the front. You might try taking it back to hobby lobby, or laminating some veneer on the back edge after carefully drying it out (try sticking it in a closet with a dehumidifier).