PDA

View Full Version : Longworth or Compression?

Andy Howard
02-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I dont have any way to finish the bottoms of my pieces, so I figured I would make either a Longworth, or a Compression (Doughnut) chuck. I have a talon chuck, and thought about purchasing the jumbo(cole) jaws, but they are quite expensive and changing jaws on your chuck all the time is a pain in the butt.

So, if you were going to build a chuck to finish off the bottom of your pieces, which would it be?

Thanks
Andy

Dick Parr
02-13-2006, 2:14 AM
Andy I have made a couple sets of compression chucks so far. Ever since making the first set for my 12" lathe I have never used my cole jaws. I guess if there was one thing that I really regret buying, it would be the cole jaws and I did not get my monies worth before I built the Comp chuck.

I also built a set for my new DVR when I got it. Use a dedicated faceplate if you do make one.

Since making the 16" set, I now have a vacuum chuck system and that is the only way to go for reversing bowls and platters.

The reason I made the compression chuck is because it looked easier to make then the Longworth chuck.:rolleyes:

There seem to be a lot of people out there that use cole jaws, but wish I had saved my money and bought a different set of jaws instead.

Good luck on what every you decide to make.;)

John Hart
02-13-2006, 7:12 AM
A while back, Jim Becker posted a procedure for using a mouse pad to turn the bottom...then Glenn Hodges did a pictorial how he did it the same way. I've been using this method ever since. Just spoke to Corey about this the other day so I thought I'd search it up. Getting things centered requires some attention, but not bad. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20558

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 7:44 AM
Andy I made the longworth just to see if I could.;) I did.:D:D Haven't used it as yet. I'll post a pic of it in operation when I quit turning bottle caps.:)

Mike Ramsey
02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Andy, I have made both the Longworth and 3 different sized
compression chucks & I can say I use the compression
chucks all the time & like them better. I will finish my
home made vacuum chuck one of these days!

Joe Judge
02-13-2006, 7:15 PM
I have a talon, also -- and I've been thinking that it'd be possible to make some jumbo jaws. Have you considered that?

--joe

Pat Salter
02-13-2006, 8:16 PM
You could also try a "jam" chuck. it's basically a scrap piece mounted on a face plate or in your chuck and turned so that the bowl/hollow-form/whatever fits into a pocket/mortise or over a tenon. the tailstock is brought up to hold it in place. you then would finish off your bottom (all right, all you old farts get your mind out of the gutter!) as close to the tailstock as possible. I usually end up with just a nub maybe an 1/8th of an inch. then chisel that off, sand it and done.

if you are working on a natrual edge you can then turn a piece on your faceplate/chuck long enough to reach into the bottom/inside, cover that with cloth or whatever, put your bowl over that, bring up your tailstock and proceed as above.

Geez, I really need to get my son to give me his digital camera :rolleyes:

I tried the compression type but this seems to be an easier way. I also think the cole jaws are too expensive....until this "hobby" starts to pay for things like that:D