PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge??????

Harold Piper
02-12-2006, 11:28 PM
How much do you charge in your area to hang paint grade crown moulding chair rail, and base boards?? I have been doing this for free and I'm going broke real fast.

Thanks,

Harold

Dick Parr
02-13-2006, 2:21 AM
Sorry I can't help ya with your question Harold, but I would like to welcome you to the Creek.

I'm sure someone will have the information you need, there are a lot of great people here that like to help if they can.

Again-Welcome.:)

Chris Giles
02-13-2006, 5:53 AM
I'd charge about $20.00/ft for all three together. Crown alone maybe $10.00/ft. I only occasionally do this as an adjunct to my cabinet installs, so I am on the high side. If you make a living at it, you might price more aggressively.

Walt Pater
02-13-2006, 6:15 AM
Welcome to the creek, Harold. A recent thread addressed this- if you use the search feature, type in "personal," you'll find a lively exchange on rates charged by some creekers. It's been my experience that crown rates run from materials + $2.00/ LF, to materials + $bazillion/foot, plus a per joint charge that runs fron $10-$50/ joint, inside/outside/scarf.
Charging for your services won't keep you from going broke. I'm a bit of an expert on this.:)
And don't discount ceiling height when you price a job. Having to work on scaffolding slows you down, quick.
Again, Welcome.

tod evans
02-13-2006, 12:44 PM
welcome harold! i`ve installed crown that wholesales at 145.00$ft. and crown that retails at .45ft and the answer is it all depends..sorry not much help without more info........02 tod

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2006, 12:52 PM
How much do you charge in your area to hang paint grade crown moulding chair rail, and base boards?? I have been doing this for free and I'm going broke real fast.

Thanks,

Harold

Harold,

Welcome to SMC.

1. You can't always work for Free. Solution? Start charging for your work.
2. Any molding work is charged either by the job (not recommended) or by the foot.
3. The price per foot depends on the type of molding, how high you have to climb to hang it and your general geographical locaiton.

A trim dude in New York may get $40 per foot, where a trim dude in Arkansas may get $10 per foot. By the time to take into account the cost of living at both of those places? You can probably see that they are clearing about the same money if it were scaled. All this is just an example. There's really lot's of variances in trim carpentry work.

Tom Jones III
02-13-2006, 2:00 PM
I know that my neighbors near Houston TX had a dining room done for $450 total. The room is a rectangle I'm guessing 18' x 10' with super cheap 3.25" crown, painted. No outside corners, 9' ceilings, about as easy an install job as there is.

Harold Piper
02-13-2006, 3:24 PM
Dennis, it looks like we live pretty close to each other. I live in East End, just south of Little Rock. Maybe we cab get together and make some saw dust sometime.

Harold