PDA

View Full Version : Building an oak cabinet with sliding glass doors -Completion

Frank Pellow
02-12-2006, 11:03 PM
The threads: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27964

and: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29501

described and showed how my friend Terry West and I built an oak cabinet for a problematic area in his home. When last seen in mid January, the cabinet had one coat of dye on most parts and was leaving my place in the back of Terry’s van.

Terry held a party on Friday night and one of the features at the party was the new cabinet and we both received a lot of nice compliments. After Terry took it home, he applied another coat of water based dye, two coats of Lee Valley clear shellac, two coats of Old Masters (natural) gel stain, and three coats of Deft Clear Wood Finish (semi-gloss). I was amazed at just how good it looked. :) :) The cabinet is certainly the best furniture that I have ever been involved in making.

I will display three final pictures of the cabinet (with the numbering carrying on from the first two threads).

(43) A view from the front:

(44) A view showing the cabinet’s top

(45) A view showing the cabinet in position in a room that is little more than a wide hall.

Steve Stube
02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Very nice Frank, thanks for the "as finished" pictures.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 8:56 AM
Looks great, Frank!

Mike Zozakiewicz
02-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Beautiful cabinet Frank! Thanks for sharing, both the finished product and the original threads.

Mike

Peter Pedisich
02-13-2006, 9:57 AM
Real nice, Frank. I like the color a lot.

Pete

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Very nice workmanship Frank.

Frank Pellow
02-14-2006, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the compliments Steve, Jim, Mike, Peter, and Jim. Also thanks to Ron Fritz for your compliment near the end of the previous thread.

tod evans
02-14-2006, 8:00 AM
lookin` good frank......02 tod

Tyler Howell
02-14-2006, 8:02 AM
That turned out great Frank.
Thanks for sharing.

David Fried
02-14-2006, 8:21 AM
Frank,

Looks really nice! I remember the earlier posts and I hardly recognize this piece! What a difference the doors the make - before it looked like shelves and now it looks like a cabinet!! The color change from finishing is really something. Again, it came out great!

Dave Fried

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 9:25 AM
Frank, the cabinet came out great. I'm not a fan of the finish chosen, but it's not in my house either.

The step by step in construction was excellent. I think you are the "grand poobah" of such instructional threads. I feel I learn something each time you post such a thread. Thanks.

Karl

Frank Pellow
02-15-2006, 4:29 AM
Thanks for the compliments Tod, Tyler, David, and Karl.

Frank Pellow
02-15-2006, 4:39 AM
I'm not a fan of the finish chosen, but it's not in my house either.

It's also not the finish I would have chosen for my home. But, it looks great in Terry and Peggy's house.

The step by step in construction was excellent. I think you are the "grand poobah" of such instructional threads. I feel I learn something each time you post such a thread. Thanks.

That's quite a role for me Karl, I hope that I have lived up to it and that I can continue to do so.

There are a couple of benefits to me when posting step-by-step details of a project that is not yet finished. One is that I often receive good advice from folks here at Saw Mill Creek that I can then incorporate into the project. The other is that, because I know folks are watching, I commit myself to finishing the project in a timely fashion and to finishing it as well as I possibly can.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-15-2006, 5:36 AM
Frank, that is VERY nicely done, and, don't take this the wrong way, but it does NOT look "new" it looks like it has been there, sitting in Terry's house, for some time.

VERY Nice!! :D