PDA

View Full Version : free wood

craig carlson
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
O.K. I get a call from a friend last night, he says: you want some wood?, sure I say I'll come up tommorrow and take a look.
This is what hes' got. Some old growth redwood down in a creek bed. The tree is about 500 years old and been down for about 50. The figure in the burls are quite nice, one of which is not shown. The stump looks to have tight growth rings, oh about the time that Columbus was farting around in the Carribean.
Down side is the rocks that are in the root system, for the Alaskan mill, so we will need to pressure wash the roots, (a water pump will be needed to pump water out of the creek to supply the pressure washer and the fact that the wood is in a creek bed so heavy equiptment will be needed but that is not that big of a deal (says my redneck friend).
So the big question on this is (if the guys don't want to many $ for the mill). How do you think the log should be cut? Radial cut, plain sawn, quarter sawn, or crown sawn. I figure on rough cutting it to 12 X 6 and the burl slabs to 3" thick. The largest burl is approx 8 X 4 X 4 and the smallest is about 8 X 2 x 3 and that's feet not inches.

Craig

Dick Parr
02-13-2006, 2:31 AM
Wow Craig, that is some really nice looking wood. Sure wish I lived closer then 2500 miles:( I would help ya with the costs of sawing that big boy up.

Good luck and have fun with the wood. Show us what you make out of it when the time comes.

If you have any extra burl left over please let me know.:D

Good luck.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 8:52 AM
Looks like an awesome opportunity, Crag!

Sparky Paessler
02-13-2006, 9:10 AM
What a find!! You should get some great wood out of that.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-13-2006, 9:49 AM
Looks good, any way you slice it, that will yield some NICE wood for sure!

Rocks eat chainsaw chain, don't ask me how I know.... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Sure wish I lived closer then 2500 miles:( I would help ya with the costs of sawing that big boy up.

Just curious, what cost is involved in cutting wood?
Thats really nice, I think, I have no idea what a person would do with that(newbie) but I bet whatever ir is, it will be great!:p

John Miliunas
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey, I'll bet Jeff Singleton could chuck up the bulk of that bad boy on his "new" pattern lathe!!!:D :D :D :cool: