PDA

View Full Version : Project: Scraper Handle

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 9:40 PM
About a week ago, I picked up a P&N square scraper during Woodcrafts one-day sale. P&N tools come without handles, so I took a little bit of time this weekend to fabricate one for the new tool. This is an ash handle...I had a nice scrap billet lying about perfect for the job. Total work time was about 40 minutes, including finishing.

Pics:

The billet was drilled prior to mounting on the lathe. I put a cone on the revolving center to, umm...center the turning on said hole. Once rounded off, I turned down the nose to fit a ferrule made from coper pipe
I was getting a little whipping as I pared the handle down, so I put the OneWay spindle steady on the lathe to stabilizing things. I've never gotten around to ordering a new block to fit the ways of the Stubby, so I just used a couple small c-clamps to keep it secure on the bed
After power sanding, I wiped on some blond shellac, let it set for awhile and then buffed it out with a soft towel to finish things off. I then parted the handle off, whacked a nice brass rounded tack in the end and then assembled the scraper to the handle
The finished product
Another view of the same

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 10:14 PM
That's awesome. Nice little photo tutorial for a newbie like me. Nice work Jim!

Corey

Bill Stevener
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice looking handle Jim, that should do the job.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
That is a nice looking handle Jim. That should do the job for ya.

Ernie Nyvall
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Nice work Jim.

I gotta get around to doing some of that myself. Thanks for the details.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
02-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Cool! It must have been tool-handle-making weekend.:D
I made this hollowing tool for smaller stuff with a Walnut handle Sat.

Bob Noles
02-13-2006, 6:18 AM
Great job Jim.... That is a project I am needing to tackle and your post is a timely inspiration.

Thanks for sharing

Jim Ketron
02-13-2006, 6:56 AM
Nice Job Jim looks like it came straight from the showroom!

Travis, thats a pretty cool tool you made cant wait to see how it works for you!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-13-2006, 7:17 AM
Hey that is neat Jim, I like the idea of using the copper pipe for the ferrule. I have some 1/4 sawn Ash here that would be perfect for that!

Travis, very cool.....ah....hmmm

What is the do-hicky sticking out to the side? is that some sort of reference so you can understand where the tool is inside the HF?

Got to get that lathe!! :D

John Hart
02-13-2006, 7:25 AM
Very handsome tool Jim! Looks perfect.

Jim
Mike
Travis
Sheesh!
I guess I better stop making ugly sticks to run with this crowd.:o

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 7:39 AM
Real nice tool handle Jim. So how do you like those P&N tools. Did this one have the square tang. How did you secure it in the handle? Epoxy?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2006, 9:12 AM
Excellent timing Jim! Well documented for those of us trying to learn the techniques! As stated before.....looks like it just came out of the showroom!

Glenn Clabo
02-13-2006, 9:20 AM
Jim...
Nice! Thanks for the lesson.
In the real old days when things were manufactured with pride...my first boss carpenter used to say when something looked good "Just like store bought!"

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 9:26 AM
Nice effort Jim.

It's probably just me and my own preferences, but it does look a bit on the short side. I like nice looooooooong handles.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 9:36 AM
It's probably just me and my own preferences, but it does look a bit on the short side.
It's slightly longer than the "factory" handles on my other scrapers and long enough to brace under my arm if necessary. I don't use scrapers very much. My primary tools are the three Ellsworth gouges and they have considerably longer handles.

------
Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I though that a step-oriented post might be useful to some folks who are new to turning.