PDA

View Full Version : Too Hot-AC for casement window?

Tony Sade
07-27-2003, 6:24 PM
It was 90 outside, 100 in my shop today and I don't think I can take much more. The only option I have for installing an AC is to put it in an Andersen vertical casement window. Are AC units made for this kind of set up? Anyone have any recommendations? TIA, Tony

Steve Clardy
07-27-2003, 6:56 PM
But if all else fails and nothing will fit, build a stand from ground to ac, then build a scoupe from ac to window. Maybe that'll cool you down.
If this weather in Missouri stays the way it is, [everythings burning up] I may have to make a midnight run down to Peacocks nice cool shop and prop his doors open so that south wind will blow some of his cool shop air up here. Ha.
I would ac my shop, but I do not have all the insulation up yet in the roof. It must be 130 or so up there. Fans just blow hot air. Steve

Mike Evertsen
07-27-2003, 7:23 PM
It was 90 outside, 100 in my shop today and I don't think I can take much more. The only option I have for installing an AC is to put it in an Andersen vertical casement window. Are AC units made for this kind of set up? Anyone have any recommendations? TIA, Tony

They do make ac units for those windows but not as cheap as standard ac units if you can take out both sides of the slider cover hole with plywood and insulate with foam board cut hole for ac unit I done that it worked great

Don Wurscher
07-27-2003, 7:46 PM
They make a split A/C, and the only holes in the walls are for the refrig lines, might be what you can use, don't know the cost.

Jason Roehl
07-27-2003, 8:13 PM
Can't say that I've ever seen it, but you may be able to do it. I do believe that units are made that are a little taller than wide, and then you may have to put in some sort of panel to fill the opening. I'm sure the window panel would have to be removed on an Andersen (I've painted WAY too many of those, I know them too well).

Ken Garlock
07-27-2003, 8:54 PM
Hi Tony. If you do a search on Google for "casement window air conditoner" you will get a long list of information on units which will work for you. But, be prepared to spend around $400+ for one.

Gosh, I remember spending $149 for one back in 1970....