PDA

View Full Version : Speed-cope

richard poitras
02-12-2006, 9:17 PM
does any body have one of these and or are they any good or does any by know any thing about them?

www.speedcope.com (http://www.speedcope.com/)

Bill Lewis
02-13-2006, 6:54 AM
Looks interesting, but the price seems pretty high for what it is. I bought the Collins coping foot (http://http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?page=collins_coping_foot.htm) several years ago (about $30), and though it is better than a coping saw, I'm still not that impressed. About the best power coping tool I saw on "This Old House", it cut copes like a key machine. It was fast, easy and accurate, but you'd have to do quite a few to make the set-up worth while, let alone the cost of that machine.
I just did some baseboard trim this past weekend, and I would have liked to have a better coping solution. A couple of places I just did inside miters instead, it was easier, and for where it is, it won't matter. I just can't cope with coping! :eek:

Chris Barton
02-13-2006, 8:03 AM
I have seen it demo-ed on TV and it is clearly a compromise measure but, much faster than using a coping saw. Just make certain you use a high quality saw like a Bosch or DeWalt with the thinest finish blade you can get. I will be building a house in the next couple of years and plan to do all the finsih carpentry and one of these will likely be my coping solution...

Brian Parker
02-13-2006, 8:30 AM
I was browsing through the rockler catalog a while back online and they have something very similar. I'm not going to post the link but the rockler # is 27397, they call them EasyCoper for Crown Molding and are charging $35 for the pair.

I've thought about this and it would proabibly work good for when I cope in baseboards and other mouldings that dont have alot of peaks and valleys. I think that I'll stick to the old hand coping for all of that crown work, as the old saying goes slow and steady gets it done. Besides when hanging crown I like to take my time since its a more complex process than just mitering.

Bill Lewis
02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Brian,
The Rocker jig set would only work with crown, it won't work with baseboard.

tod evans
02-13-2006, 2:22 PM
if you`re doing production this is the stuff!
http://www.wdr-sales.com/copemaster.html
but if you`re only doing a house or two i`d just use a coping saw...02 tod

Brian Parker
02-13-2006, 2:28 PM
Wow that looks like one heck of a toy right there. I'll save my 2295 and buy alot of other tools and buy alot of really sweet items, heck one could start a small shop with that kind of loot.

tod evans
02-13-2006, 2:31 PM
Wow that looks like one heck of a toy right there. I'll save my 2295 and buy alot of other tools and buy alot of really sweet items, heck one could start a small shop with that kind of loot.

that`s for guys who make their living trimming. it`ll pay for itself in short order if you`re doing 5-10 track homes per week....02 tod

John Kain
02-13-2006, 2:37 PM
I've done inside joints both ways (inside miter cut vs. square/coping). My thought has always been: if the crown is to be painted, go ahead and just do a inside miter cut because you can correct small mistakes easily with filler and paint over them. No harm, no foul. Now if the crown is going to be stained or otherwise not painted, I prefer doing the square/coping technique because you can slowly take away more wood from the coped end, eventually getting a perfect fit. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, neither is so difficult as to justify another purchase. Unless you are doing a room per day..............and in that case, I'd use the one previously mentioned that was shown on "This old house" about 2 years back.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-13-2006, 3:32 PM
that`s for guys who make their living trimming. it`ll pay for itself in short order if you`re doing 5-10 track homes per week....02 tod

Tod, its been my experience that track house rarely have crown and when they do, its mitered and caulked. Lots of caulk!

Steven Wilson
02-13-2006, 4:00 PM
My favorite tool store has been carrying it for years so I imagine that a number of installers in my area have one.

Walt Pater
02-13-2006, 6:46 PM
if you`re only doing a house or two i`d just use a coping saw...02 tod

What Tod said.

richard poitras
02-13-2006, 8:06 PM
Chris you said you saw it on tv was it on a infa-merical or a wood working show?

Steve you are talking about the speed-cope not the COPEMASTER for $2000.00 right, because I have never seen one in any of the contractor stores around my area. Have you ever asked the guys at the store that sells them if they are any good? or if they have ever gotten any feed back from the guys that have bought them

Bill Lewis
02-14-2006, 6:43 AM
if you`re doing production this is the stuff!http://www.wdr-sales.com/copemaster.html
This looks like the unit I saw on TOH. I never bothered to look it up because I just knew it would be very expensive, and I was right! The funny thing about this tool is that you must make a perfect coped cut before you can use it for "production". Kind of a catch 22, though you can probably use the tool to do it "freehand" to make the guide piece.