PDA

View Full Version : Locking Casters Question

richard poitras
02-12-2006, 8:58 PM
Looking for the best place to by 3'' or so locking casters I need the wheel and the swivel to lock , does any body know the cheapest place to get them? Thank you

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 9:25 PM
Good casters and "cheap" are two mutually exclusive things. I like the double locking casters from Lee Valley. And have them on both my router table and our kitchen island. (which is also mobile)

Perry Holbrook
02-12-2006, 9:28 PM
McMaster -Carr has a very good selection. However, "cheap" may not be the best description.
Perry

John Seiffer
02-12-2006, 9:45 PM
I got these from Hartville Tool
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11883
They're great. I've had some from Grizzly and Harbor Freight as well. These are much sturdier and lock better and not very much $$

Allen Bookout
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I just ordered four more 3" double locking casters from Grizzly. I have sixteen of them (4" ones) on other tool stands and seem to work very well. Have had no problems. One set is on a very heavy metal stand with an old Buffalo drill press that weights a ton and no problem there either.

Here are the ones that I just ordered. The price is right compaired to any other place that I could find.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H0683

Here is the page to start looking at the casters if you want to look around:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=caster&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

If I had seen John Seiffer's post before I ordered I would have tried four of them just for compairson. I cannot figure how to cancel my order on line. If possible I may call in the morning and cancel and try the Hartville Tool ones. I do notice that the load rating is higher for the Hartville ones than the Grizzlys so they must be of a more sturdy design.

I do have four 3" ones from Home Depot but It seemed to me that they were too expensive (about $12 or $13 as well as I remember). They do seem to be very good casters though.

Bill Fields
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
John:

I'm in agreement with all the foregoing. I mail-order buy a lot of casters from HF, and I usually order 5 if I need 4, due to out-of-roundness, etc.

Otherwise they work OK, and are sometimes 80% cheaper than Borg prices.

I have about 10 tables and large tools on casters--everything I own--due to trying to work in a 3-car garage that has to be used as a 2-car garage sometimes.

THE ONE ADVICE I WOULD GIVE YOU IS TO USE THE LARGEST SIZE YOU POSSIBLY CAN--THEY ROLL MUCH EASIER. Most of mine are 5 or 6" diameter.

BILL FIELDS

Allen Bookout
02-12-2006, 11:27 PM
You know what Bill, I think that you are right about the size. I had not though about it but I have noticed that my bandsaw is much harder to move around than the other tools and it has the four 3" wheels on it and is not any heavier than any of the others. I orderd the new 3" ones for my drill press because I did not want to raise it any more than I had to but from now on I am going with the largest wheels possible, within reason. Allen

Thomas Canfield
02-13-2006, 1:13 AM
You might also look at Caster City at castercity.com as a source for the casters. They have a big selection of different sizes and locking devices. I found the double locking casters to be heavy duty and better built than the ones at Highland Hardware but the ones at Highland Hardware are a good buy for the money in the 3" size for a lighter duty application.

richard poitras
02-13-2006, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the feed back I wiil look at the differant sites and figure out witch will work best for my needs.