PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Nobis Media 35,700 plan CD

Ken Shoemaker
02-12-2006, 6:34 PM
I have been looking this CD. It claims to have 35,700 plans and oher useful things for the woodoworker (in my case read; woodbutcher). Anyway, I'm looking for a ringing endorsement from Creekers before I pull the trigger.

Any input would be welcomed... Thankx for your time... Ken

Mark Rios
02-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Is there any other name or manufacturer?

Ken Shoemaker
02-13-2006, 6:08 PM
http://www.woodnobis.com/ This is the site... Thanks for looking

Brian Hale
02-13-2006, 7:06 PM
$14 bucks? What the heck, give it try!

Brian :)

Lee DeRaud
02-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Ok, mine showed up in the mail today.

The good news is, it was cheap. The bad news is, the meat of the thing consists of two PDF files, totalling about 1500 pages. At least there are bookmarks for each plan, forming a primitive table-of-contents...good thing too, as the plans are in no discernable order. There's also a third PDF file consisting entirely of web links to yet more plans.

There's probably a bunch of good stuff in there, but I gotta tell ya, getting at it is not going to be quick or convenient. And a lot of the actual plans are printed in medium blue, which is readable but not great on either the screen or my monochrome laser printer.

(If you buy this thing, the first thing you'll want to do is either turn off your speakers or create shortcuts directly to the PDF files: their actual "application" is a dialog box with buttons to launch the PDFs...and a stunningly annoying "chainsaw" sound effect on startup.)

Michael Ballent
02-22-2006, 2:06 AM
Well thanks for taking one for the team ;)

Ok, mine showed up in the mail today.

The good news is, it was cheap. The bad news is, the meat of the thing consists of two PDF files, totalling about 1500 pages. At least there are bookmarks for each plan, forming a primitive table-of-contents...good thing too, as the plans are in no discernable order. There's also a third PDF file consisting entirely of web links to yet more plans.

There's probably a bunch of good stuff in there, but I gotta tell ya, getting at it is not going to be quick or convenient. And a lot of the actual plans are printed in medium blue, which is readable but not great on either the screen or my monochrome laser printer.

(If you buy this thing, the first thing you'll want to do is either turn off your speakers or create shortcuts directly to the PDF files: their actual "application" is a dialog box with buttons to launch the PDFs...and a stunningly annoying "chainsaw" sound effect on startup.)

Matt Warfield
02-22-2006, 5:06 AM
the meat of the thing consists of two PDF files, totalling about 1500 pages.

Sounds like a minimal attempt at copy protection to keep the honest people aggravated over its usability. Not too easy to email a 300+MB pdf file with any great success.

Lee DeRaud
02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a minimal attempt at copy protection to keep the honest people aggravated over its usability. Not too easy to email a 300+MB pdf file with any great success.Yeah, it's not like anybody has a CD burner and a $0.02 blank CD-R.:rolleyes:

Michael Ballent
02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, it's not like anybody has a CD burner and a $0.02 blank CD-R.:rolleyes:

or pkzip and an ftp site ;)

Brian Parker
02-22-2006, 1:43 PM
Eh who wants a 300 meg plan sent to them when they are only interested in one or two plans, this way he can send his favorite plans out to all of his SMC buddies and not crash their mail server hehe.

Lou Morrissette
02-22-2006, 2:27 PM
I just got mine today and I agree it's not the easiest thing to get around in. What's with that chainsaw thing, anyway.
I'll give it a few days of browsing before I make final judgement.

Lou

nic obie
02-22-2006, 2:49 PM
or pkzip and an ftp site ;)

Or Gmail. Almost 3G of storage now. And free too!

Brian Parker
02-22-2006, 2:57 PM
Humm I guess I gotta clean out the old g-mail Nic, I'm at 32% of the quota ;)

Ken Shoemaker
02-22-2006, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the input guyz.... Sounds a little cumbersome. Too bad we couldn't start a "clearing house" for plans... maybe come copywrite infingements...??? :rolleyes:

I