PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Jig

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 6:23 PM
Well I made a jig which may seem like no big deal but I had fun day in the shop. Turned one good bowl, 2 others I tried to turn but the wood was no good, one bowl I turned, turned into a funnel so decided to make a bowl holding jig. Turned out pretty good. I made the one side with the opening for the bottom of the bowl one each 4", 6" and 8". I don't think I will need anymore than that.

George Conklin
02-12-2006, 6:48 PM
Those jigs are great, Bernie. Seeing that on Bills video was alone worth the price of the video for me. .

George

Bob Noles
02-12-2006, 7:23 PM
Great job on the jigs Bernie...... Bill will be proud of ya :D :p

I need to make mine when I get to the bowl phase :rolleyes:

Harry Pye
02-12-2006, 7:26 PM
Bernie,

What did you use for that white cushioning material? I often use the Oneway Mini-Jumbo jaws to finish the bottom of the bowl. But I'm just finishing a natural edge bowl and it won't fit properly in either the Mini-Jumbo jaws or the ring chuck like you made. But, it should be OK with the system that Bill actually used on his video. (A lump of wood on a face plate covered with some sort of cushioning material that presses into the inside of the bowl while the tailstock holds the other end.) I've been using foam rubber but it isn't really satisfactory.

Harry

Bill Stevener
02-12-2006, 7:29 PM
Hi Bernie, a nice looking donut clamp. FWIW the plywood generally has voids in areas, knots and at times plugs, (some call them other things) that will tend to make the jig quite a bit out of balance. The bolts will add to this also.

One can static balance the jig by placing it on the lathe and letting it free spin. The drive belt should be removed in order to achieve a free running spindle. Like balancing a tire for a car.

Weights can then be applied to ether face of the jig where needed and secured with epoxy and a screw added for safety measures.

You will find the jig will run like it was never there.

But you may already know this,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 7:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I will do that. I am awaiting a face plate which will be dedicated to that jig.

Harry, I went to Wal-Mart to the pot and pan section. It is shelf liner non-stick and has about a 1/8" of foam in-between the two vinyl plys. I just glued it on. The donut one I glued it on one side then cut the center in a star shape. Put glue on the inner ring of the wood and on each star piece. I then pulled it around tight and held it with a tack till the glue dryed. Worked pretty good.

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 8:20 PM
Looks good Bernie, now that I know what it is for and how it works :) Keep up the good work!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Way to go Bernie. Good job.

Ernie