PDA

View Full Version : Neander Classes

Mark Stutz
02-12-2006, 5:21 PM
I was able to get a little time off for the WW Show this weekend. Had a chance to get together with some fellow Creekers for breakfasthttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31079 It is alwasy fun to get together with fellow woodworkers.

I spent a fair amount of time at the LN booth, and again learned alot watching Deneb. Lee Valley was there as well, for the first time since I can remember. Most of my time, however was spent in the two clases I took with Graham Blackburn. He had one on general woodworking with hand tools, and another on planes. He is an absolute fountain of knowledge, and very entertaining and engaging. The time just flew by. Although these were not hands-on classes, I still was able to learn a lot and pick up several tips. I learned quite a bit about shooting boards and bench hooks. His demonstration on tuning card scrapers was very good. I have read everything I could find, but I learn best visually and seeing it done is worth a thousand words.

Although probably nothing new to most of you, he made one simply statement that made lots of sense but was never obvious to me before!:o :eek:

"Working with hand tools does not mean working free hand." This was his intro to shooting boards, bench hooks for sawing, etc. I really think this is why most are afraid to start using hand tools, and at least to me was very enlightening.

I also bought a couple of his books. They will be very nice additions to the library.:cool:

Jerry Palmer
02-14-2006, 9:27 AM
I have an older copy of Blackburn's book, Traditional Woodworking Handtools, which is one of my favorite references.

Wendell Wilkerson
02-14-2006, 2:37 PM
Which of Graham's books did you buy? I've been eyeing the last two volume of his three volume set. I am glad to hear you enjoyed his class/lecture. He came to Dallas two years ago and offered a similar class at the wood show. I didn't take it because it wasn't hands on and I've been kicking myself every since.

Wendell

Mark Stutz
02-14-2006, 4:23 PM
Wendell,
I got the first and third volumes. The second is at the printer and I will be ordering it from the website. I've only had a little to briefly look thru them, but I know they will be useful. He basically refers to them as the "user manual" that got lost with all the original boxes!:D

Mark