PDA

View Full Version : Bed Finally Done

Jim Young
07-27-2003, 3:12 PM
Here is the bed that's taken me almost two years to complete. Things like launching a new vehicle, moving (read as "new shop needed to be built") and broken leg, have really taken thier toll on this project.

The design came from Woodsmith with some tweaks. My friend wanted the wood to be maple and have a natural look. I used hard maple and finished it with one coat of blo and one coat of wipe on satin poly.

Jim Young
07-27-2003, 3:15 PM
Here are details of the mortices and slats. The support slats seemed kind of loose in the Woodsmith design so I added a tab to keep them in place.

Phil Phelps
07-27-2003, 3:27 PM
....really nice.

Jim Young
07-27-2003, 3:31 PM
Here is an up close shot of the caps.

One more thing to note, the head board is heavy as he$$. It was a struggle for me to get it into the truck.

As a surprise to my friend, I got the key to his house from his gilrfriend and set up the bed while they were out at a party. My 7 year old daughter wrote him a note saying that she hopes he enjoys his new bed and I left him a bottle of my home made red wine.

Carl Eyman
07-27-2003, 3:38 PM
Great work. I remember that in Woodsmith. There may have been others built, but none more beautifully done. The maple makes it really outstanding. Carl

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-27-2003, 3:48 PM
Jim, that is WAY nice! Great job, and I LOVE the maple and natural finish............couldn't have been any better! Kinda like the bottle of Wine you left with your friend...................perfection cannot be rushed.......definitely worth the wait. VERY nice work. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, I enjoyed looking! :D

Marc Broussard
07-27-2003, 4:05 PM
Jim, that bed is a class act. Maple was a great choice and the finish dosen't detract from the natural beauty of the wood. Clean lines, solid construction, and homemade wine makes for a wonderful gift. Marc

Jason Roehl
07-27-2003, 4:10 PM
I'm with the others...great looking bed. Just one small problem...you didn't post a taste of the wine! :D

David Rose
07-27-2003, 4:27 PM
What a nice surprise! All the way to the final "act".

David

Doug Jones
07-27-2003, 5:27 PM
Jim, Very nice and I agree, the natural maple look is great.

Terry Hatfield
07-27-2003, 5:42 PM
Jim,

Great Job!!!!! I really like the natural maple and your workmanship is fantastic.

Terry

Lynn Sonier
07-27-2003, 6:31 PM
Jim:
Dandy!!!
Hope the broken leg was on the bed and not you.

Steve Clardy
07-27-2003, 7:01 PM
Sometimes the most long awaited projects are the nicest!!
Steve

Jim Young
07-27-2003, 7:08 PM
Jim:
Dandy!!!
Hope the broken leg was on the bed and not you.

Lynn, The leg was mine. I broke it in the middle of a raquetball match in December. I hate getting old and feeble, it just doesn't suit my lifestyle.
:D

Bob Lasley
07-27-2003, 7:21 PM
Very, very nice Jim. I'm sure your friend was quite pleased, anyone would be.

Bob

Mike Evertsen
07-27-2003, 7:33 PM
great looking bed
the more I see and use other hardwoods (alder,cherry,soft maple,walnut) the less I using pine and oak,,,
two years not bad it took me three years to build my parents entertainment center,,,,,

Todd Burch
07-27-2003, 8:49 PM
I don't know about your friend, but with a new hand made delivered GORGEOUS bed, a bottle of wine, and a GIRLFRIEND... heh heh heh heh heh... who knows what might happen.
Todd.

Jim Becker
07-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Very nice execution of a great project!

Dan Bussiere
07-28-2003, 8:19 AM
Great Job!
The bed is beautiful and the workmanship should make you proud. I am also impressed with the great spirit you displayed by setting it up for them as a surprise. Woodworkers are special folks!
Dan

Byron Trantham
07-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Jim, I could always use another friend like you. :D

The guy must have been ecstatic. Let him try and buy something like that.

Heavy, you say the bed is heavy? Well, I can think of a couple good reasons for that to be an advantage! :p

Rusty Hughes, Indy
07-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Excellent work, Jim.

Very well done.