PDA

View Full Version : First Spinny Thang

Glenn Clabo
02-12-2006, 2:42 PM
It's up and running and here's the first thing spun off my birthday present.:eek: :o :D

Ok...so it's not art...but it's the first thing spun so it's got personal meaning. It's also...hopefully if it don't explode when I go to use it...a handle for an old screwdriver my Pop gave me when I was a kid.

Don't know if you can see it with the reduced pix...but all the kings men couldn't sand the tool marks out of it so I left it as is. Figure it'll give the paws gripping power. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 2:44 PM
Excellent first spinny thing Glenn! Your a mile ahead of me now!

Andy Hoyt
02-12-2006, 2:46 PM
Well all right Mr. Clabo! Looks mighty fine from up here. And I was able to zoom right in on those alleged sanding marks. Gripping power it is.

Ken - That's only possible when one mounts the lathe on something other than a diving board!

George Conklin
02-12-2006, 2:51 PM
Looks good, Glenn. What kind of wood is that?

George

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 2:56 PM
Very nice Glenn, I am sure you will get lot's of use out of it!
Corey

Glenn Clabo
02-12-2006, 3:06 PM
It's Cocobolo George...and thanks.

Bill Stevener
02-12-2006, 3:09 PM
Glenn, that's a mighty fine first turning. In time with some use you may find yourself scuffing it up a bit more with some sandpaper for a better grip. Should work just fine for a screwdriver handle.
As for a small photo, WHOW when I hit the enlarge feature that pops up in the photo, I had to back away from the monitor. Had to use the scroll to go from end to end, looked about 6' long. Something turned from the whole trunk of the tree.

Good show Glenn, hoping to see more of your work,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Glenn Clabo
02-12-2006, 3:10 PM
Ken...no way am I a mile ahead...just crazy enough to stand in front of a rapidly spinning chuck of wood and throw sharp tools at it. I really...really have no clue what I'm doing.
I was trying to figure out how I could set up my lathe like you...but I don't have two ladders so I had to build a bench.:D

Mark Cothren
02-12-2006, 3:14 PM
Nice work, Glenn! Look forward to seeing it when you get it all done!

Thanks for the picture!

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 3:46 PM
Beautiful, Glenn! You're off to a great start.

John Hart
02-12-2006, 4:44 PM
Way to Go Glenn! Sheesh...You first project is going to be an heirloom. Very nice.:)

Bob Noles
02-12-2006, 4:49 PM
Glenn,

As a member of the "first" turner's club myself, I am fully qualified to say that's a nice one :cool: Good job and a great piece of wood for the project. I like the way you patterned the handle and it should work nicely.

Jim Dunn
02-12-2006, 5:37 PM
What no bottle cap as the first turning. Me thinks you've been practising turning on your table saw again.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 5:52 PM
Looks good Glenn. Off to a good start. Keep at it.