PDA

View Full Version : Lost Posts - Enhancement Suggestion

Lee DeRaud
02-12-2006, 2:06 PM
I've "lost" posts occasionally during high-traffic periods, due to the following phenomenon:
1. I click on 'New Posts', the results of which may consist of two or three pages.
2. I scan that list, possibly opening threads.
3. When I'm done, I click on 'Mark Forums Read', so that 'New Posts' will work correctly the next time.

What happens is, posts that arrive between steps 1 and 3 get "lost" in the sense that they never appear on the 'New Posts' screen. I've had it happen occasionally even when I click on 'New Posts' again between steps 2 and 3: Murphy's Law guarantees that the latency will be long enough to let posts hit that window, especially if they involve a thread I'm following.:p

Since I don't have the code in front of me, I have no idea how big a deal this is, but is it possible to have the 'New Posts' screen remember what the latest post was when it was generated and only mark posts as read up to that point, instead of what it thinks is "current"?

Andy Hoyt
02-18-2006, 4:35 PM
Lee - That bugs me too. I've learned to avoid this dilemma by refreshing the New Posts page after I've read what I to read, quickly scan the new listing and then hit the "mark forum read" button.