PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed....finishing question

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 1:41 PM
I haven't ordered finishing supplies yet as I didn't think I'd be keeping anything until I get a little more practiced at this thing. However, I need a new handle for one of my tools. Could I use some wood finishing paste wax and apply it on the lathe using a soft cotton rag? NOTE.....I won't rap the rag around my hand...instead I'll hold it with thumb and forefingers of both hands. If so, I may try turning a handle this afternoon..........

Weather was supposed to have been sunny and warm.....SWMBO said we were going to do yard work this afternoon. Cold front moved in......temps in the 30s.......now she says no yardwork.........I left the furnace on in the shop last night.........I think I might make a go at turning a handle.....daggone weather!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Andy Hoyt
02-12-2006, 1:52 PM
Ken - I've made a number of my own turning handles and have never put any finish on them whatsoever. I've just sanded to 80 grit and called it done.

80 grit provides for added traction and the oils in my hands do the rest.

I like this so much that I've also sanded the finish off of most of my store bought stuff.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 1:54 PM
Thanks Andy! I'll head out to the shop shortly. I've got some scrap 3/4" copper pipe from a former bathroom remodel that should make a great ferrule. What do you think?

John Hart
02-12-2006, 2:06 PM
Already making tools? Wow Ken...you don't waste any time! The copper pipe will work great....And I agree with Andy. My best handles are the ones I didn't put any finish on.

tod evans
02-12-2006, 2:11 PM
spokes ken, not handles:)

John Hart
02-12-2006, 2:20 PM
spokes ken, not handles:)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jim Dunn
02-12-2006, 2:34 PM
Here horsey, horsey, horsey.

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 3:44 PM
I just put shellac on my tool handles, Ken...wiped on while the piece is still mounted on the lathe and buffed out once it "sets" a bit. In fact...I'm working on a tool handle right now for the P&N square scraper I picked up from Woodcraft during the recent one-day sale and that's what will happen to it when I get finished turning it in an hour or so.

I also use copper pipe for my ferrule. Quick, easy and cheap since it's scrap that is in "the bucket" from previous plumbing jobs.

Gary Max
02-12-2006, 3:59 PM
Ken I use plain old Johnsons Paste wax. It's only a couple of bucks for a can and goes a LONG way.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 7:08 PM
Ken I just put a little Johnson paste wax on mine while the lathe was running. Heated it up and soaked right in. Ken you might want to mount a papertowel hanger where ever you lathe will be. You'll be using a lot of those. I only use papertowels to apply anything while the lathe is turning.

Bob Noles
02-12-2006, 7:16 PM
Ken,

For any tool handle I like blo or tung oil topped off with paste wax. Like Bernie mentioned.... stay with paper towels over rags for safety purposes.