PDA

View Full Version : New shop under way have dumb qestions

John Davidson
02-12-2006, 1:40 PM
I started on a shop a few weeks ago. I started by having a contractor do the foundation and pad. I asked him to be sure to install anchors for the walls when he poured the slab which he did. However, he used some type of straps that I am not familar with. I assumed he would put in J bolts. Anyone ever used this type of anchor. I think that I will need to drill holes in the bottom plate and have the anchors running up thru the holes? Then nailed down along the top of the plate? Can someone help me out with this?

Also I have not decide on how to heat and cool the shop. Has anyone tried the mini ductless AC/Heat pump units. Looking at pros and cons. I do have gas but that only gets me half way there and with the price of gas, things that I have been reading indicates the price to be about the same per BTU.:confused:

Ray Bersch
02-12-2006, 2:44 PM
John, these straps are not unusual today. Some masons spread them a little before the slab is poured, others install them straight up with no spread. In either case, just spread the straps so that the sill plate (bottom 2x4) straddles the open strap - use a hammer to flatten them against the concrete a bit - then form them to the sill plate, ie wrap them around the 2x4. Nail into the sides and top of each strap.

Straps are easier to use than J bolts because you do NOT have to drill holes for them. Perhaps J bolts are stronger than straps - or perhaps not - but the straps will hold anyting you will want for your shop provided they are embedded properly in the concrete . You are not trying to anchor a ten story building, just a one story shop (or a two story home - same thing.)

If you are looking for hurricane wind protection then consider staps from roof to wall and wall to foundation in addition to the sill straps. Simpson makes lots of good stuff for these applications.

And don't forget to post some pictures for us.

Ray

Rob Will
02-12-2006, 2:59 PM
What about a sill sealer under the plate? I suppose one could add a few wedge anchors through the plate, hurricane straps on the studs, and rafter ties to help hold the roof down. SC has some weather concerns and this is cheap insurance (?).

Rob

Chris Fite
02-12-2006, 4:15 PM
I don't have air conditioning in my shop because of the large fan that cools well and the shop's location in the shade. I used hydronic radiant heating in the floor. It is the bomb. Heating the floor and equipment direct and the air indirect makes for a comfortable shop that does not have a draft when the door is opened in the cold weather.

I built the shop myself.

If you want, give me a call and come take a look.

Michael Disorbo
02-12-2006, 4:19 PM
Howdy,

When I bulit my shop 4 years ago, i used a floating slab design. instead of putting the lower wall plate directly on the slab, I had two coarse of block laid. Then I placed 8 feet walls on top of the block. This gave me 9' 8" wall which has come in handy for all sorts of things such as storage, The cost of the 2 coarse of block is very small but well worth it. I can also hose down the floor if needed and don't have to worry about the walls, which are sheetrocked and insulated. This is something you may want to consider, I think its a big plus!!!

Michael