PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify what this is?

Matt Warfield
02-12-2006, 11:09 AM
I recently picked up a tool at a local auction and it had a handfull of these items in the case. Does anyone know what they may be and their application?

Thanks,

Matt

Allen Grimes
02-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Ok the one on top is definately a pencil. It can be used for writing and drawing. I have no idea what the other things are though.

tod evans
02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
matt, those are miter splines, driven into casing on doors. today they`re shot by a gun senco makes, those where hand driven .....02 tod

Matt Warfield
02-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks Tod, and Allen. I knew as soon as I posted that the comment on the pencil was coming. :rolleyes: Doubt that I'll ever have a need for these so unless someone wants them for the price of shipping, they're going in the trash.

Matt

David Fried
02-12-2006, 11:21 AM
What is the price of shipping a pencil?:D :D

Dave Fried

Allen Grimes
02-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry Matt,

I couldnt help myself.

tod evans
02-12-2006, 11:23 AM
matt, throw `em in your junk drawer/bucket ect. they may prove handy? .02 tod

Tyler Howell
02-12-2006, 11:24 AM
LMAOROTF. Just when I needed a laugh SMC guys come through thanks.

Matt Warfield
02-12-2006, 11:54 AM
No trouble Allen. I'll be over it before I figure out the price to ship the pencil.:D

Bob Wingard
02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I believe the proper term for those is/was "CLAMP NAILS". I remember seeing them in clock kits made by Emperor Clock Co. back in the late 70's. They were driven into mating kerfs cut by a very thin blade.

Perry Holbrook
02-12-2006, 5:09 PM
In the furniture plant I worked in right out of school, those were called "wedge" nails. We used them in almost all mitered joints.

Perry

Jim Hager
02-12-2006, 5:50 PM
Here in town at the Pinnacle Art and Frame factory they call them Kerf Nails and are used for fastening together picture frames with a kerf cut into the mitre face. They are slightly wedge shapped and as they are driven in they will pull the pieces of the mitre together tightly.

Gary McKown
02-12-2006, 7:53 PM
Hey, I have some of those nails and the thin-kerf blade to make the slots. I remember umpty years ago seeing a guy put together an Emperor clock and thinking...Boy, that is a great fastening device - no clamps or screws needed! Can't remember where I got the stuff, maybe the old Leichtung? I think I may have used the system twice but, 100 or so clamps and a no-metal attitude later, it sits among the doweling jigs and other relics of days gone by. No, I don't need any more of the nails!

BTW, the really thin saw blade proved to be useful (once!) for installing fret wire, and a couple times to back-cut a board to be bent.