PDA

View Full Version : Tools For Sale Site

Larry James
02-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Neanderthals may be aware of this site, but if not, you may want to check it out.

I’m not a frequent user or collector of Neanderthal type tools, but I did buy a plane from the site listed below.

Very unusual terms of sale. At the time I ordered the terms were -

“My terms are based on the notion that old tool folks are good folks. So with a definite order, signaled by a mailing address, I'll ship tools right out, expecting payment only after the tools have arrived and are found to be "as described" or better.”

Terms like that must be very unique for the net.

Tools for sale list at
http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm
Brace collection at
http://www.sydnassloot.com/brace.htm

Larry

David Fried
02-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Looks like an interesting site.

This description did make sense but gave me the shivers!

"The Decatur Coffin Co. of Decatur, Illinois is fairly famous in old tool circles for producing an early patent spiral screw driver which works only in the clockwise mode. Folk wisdom has it that this tool was made for driving screws in coffin lids, and would not be available for taking them out. "

Dave Fried

Alan DuBoff
02-12-2006, 2:24 PM
For used tools, Brass City is a great place, and WaltQ is very honest and prices his stuff fairly. Definitely worth checking out also.

http://pages.cthome.net/bcrgraphics/toolindex.html

Dave Anderson NH
02-12-2006, 3:31 PM
Larry, you are refering to Sandy's Tools. Sandy is a retired professor from UMass Dartmouth and is as upstanding and honest guy as you will find anywhere. Mr. Moss (Sandy) is well known on the Old Tools List and throughout the tool collecting world. His prices are reasonable for user stuff and I have never heard of anyone not being satisfied with his stuff.

As for the terms of sale, that is standard and is often refered to as "Old Tools Terms". Almost all members of the list sell to each othere under these terms and over the years the folks who were unhappy can be counted on the fingers of one hand with some left over.

Bruce Branson
02-12-2006, 5:38 PM
I purchased a 1949 Stanley brace from him. It was just as he described. Great to do business with.

Tony Sade
02-12-2006, 9:37 PM
I dropped some moderately serious change with Sandy on a batch of Stanley 750s. Very nice to deal with. As they often say on that auction site: "Highly recommended!"

Larry James
02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for posting the comments guys. Sandy’s “ honor system” way of doing business is refreshing after considering all the take your money and run schemes on the the net.

Now I feel obligated to buy something else from Sandy. Feel good tool buying logic I learned on SMC!

I have my Dad’s old Stanley #4, and another #4 from Sandy - any suggestions for the next step up for the occasional plane user?

Larry

Dave Anderson NH
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
If you are only an occasional hand tool user Larry, I would go for a low angle block plane as my next purchase. After that a rebate (rabbet) plane and maybe a #7 or #8 jointer would be useful to you. Just be careful, hand tool use starts as an occasional thing, but eventually becomes all consuming. Danger, Slippery Slope Ahead.

Joe Rogers
02-13-2006, 8:46 PM
and can only add that a knuckle joint block plane is VERY comfortable in the hand. Sandy will probably have several to choose from.JR

Larry James
02-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Dave and Joe, thanks for the feed back. I’ll check Sandy’s site, and I’ll try to avoid the slippery slope.

Sorry for the delay in responding - working on a laundry room remodel for my wife and was under the gun to have minimum appliance downtime.

Bryan Rocker
02-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Now if I could just find a replacement blade for my Millers Falls 1455B block plane.....The blade is way to short. I tried a Stanely blade but the short of significant grinding a drilling it won't fit.

Mark Stutz
02-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Larry,
Please be careful!:D ;) This slope is steep and very slippery. I fear that even by posting in this forum you may have alredy slipped:eek: ;) The good news is that is a really fun ride!:D

Mark

John Kain
04-15-2006, 9:11 PM
A little bump for all Neanders out here.

I dig both the guys at these sites listed. They are always a great source of potential old, solid planes and hand tools.

Jeff Horton
04-16-2006, 9:45 AM
For used tools, Brass City is a great place, and WaltQ is very honest and prices his stuff fairly. Definitely worth checking out also.

http://pages.cthome.net/bcrgraphics/toolindex.html

I have to second that one Walt. One stand up guy and knows his old tools! I have bought a couple of things from him and would not hesitate to use him again.

His father has been very sick for months now and Walt quit taking any orders for a few weeks but he back now.