PDA

View Full Version : How do clean stained glass windows?

Joe Unni
02-12-2006, 8:46 AM
Hey all,

I'm just ready to begin a project that involves a stained glass window (see
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31108).

I'm curious on what cleaners I can or can't use. I'm concerned about how the cleaners will affect the lead. Will regular Windex be ok? Something else?

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks,
-joe

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Most stained glass windows do not get cleaned in a traditional sense, because there can be severe chemical damage to not only the lead
but the glass itself. Just dusting is enough in most cases. If you are concerned with fingerprints from your installation then the best thing to do is starting at the top of the window and working down, simply wipe gently with a wet (water) sponge. Dry with paper towels, avoid hard rubbing.

Stubborn dirt deposits can be cleaned with mild soap liek dishwashing liquid diluted with water but no ammonia or cleanser. We use a patina chemical on the lead to turn it to the shade we want and then polish the glass and lead with a special stained glass polish use much like a liquid car wax. It's available at the local stained glass supply, hopefully there's one near you. Considering the value of a stained glass panel that size you could even ask them to clean it for you, most of them also do restoration.

Mike Williams
02-12-2006, 3:12 PM
Joe,

Joe Pelonio has the right answer. Stay away from Windex or any similar product. The major US stained glass supply houses (Delphi, Warner-Crivellaro) offer a product called Clarity Finishing Compound. It's a liquid, 100% carnauba wax that works very well. You can see it on WC's website at http://www.warner-criv.com/product.aspx?id=4315-12

You can apply it with a small soft rag, or even with a nylon bristle brush to get better cleaning action. Then just buff off well with a clean soft rag. For the best results, try to get all the sharp interior corners, etc. cleaned out well so the wax doesn't dry and turn white.

Joe Unni
02-12-2006, 4:49 PM
Joe/Mike,

Thanks so much for the info. I just ordered two 12 oz bottles.

The window in question was "discovered" in a church basement after tens of years. There is a fair amount of dirt and grime on the glass.

Again, thanks so much - it will make this project "shine" ;)

-joe