PDA

View Full Version : Got curves?

Dewayne Baker
02-12-2006, 1:53 AM
I am fairly new here and thought I'd show a couple of projects I made soon after I discovered the art of creating curves. I have been woodworking for about 7 years and am still searching for my own style, so mean while I tend to mimic what I see and like.
I added a band saw and oscillating spindle sander to my tool collection a few years ago and have been making curves ever since.
This plate display was my first serious band saw project. I got a little carried away here.

The display is made from cherry and I used a red mahogany gel stain with a spray poly top coat. It hangs using 4 key hole slots in the 1/2" ply back. This was also my first table saw cove molding, very exciting project for me at the time.

This next one is a shot glass display I made for my wife. She would have settled for a square box design but she insisted it have a grid.
I insisted it had curves. :) I was intrigued and inspired by watching David marks do a bent lamination and just had to incorporate a bent lam in this project. Both the top and bottom of the case are bent lamination's of solid cherry.
Woods used are cherry and bloodwood. Fumed with ammonia and three coats of an oil and poly finish. Concealed hinges and hand crafted pull.

31684 31686

I fiddled around with different ways of making the grid and grew discouraged wit non flat bottom dadoes and even tried dowels. That was a nightmare. I ended making the grid using sliding dovetails and assembled it in small sections working from the inside out.

So you see I'm hooked on curves. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 2:01 AM
Dewayne....first...........Welcome to the Creek! Secondly..........I like what you've shown and I think your developing your own style and developing new skills in the process!

tod evans
02-12-2006, 8:30 AM
dewayne, welcome to the fun side of woodbutcherie! the turners think they have all the fun....the major part of my income is made by making wood curve....enjoy, it only gets more challanging as you go......02 tod

David Duke
02-12-2006, 8:32 AM
First off welcom to the Creek Dewayne, lots of good folks here and tons of information. On you trouble with dados are you using a wobble blade? I fought curved bottoms for years before I finally broke down and got a quality stacked set (Freud SD608), amazing what a difference it makes!!

Mark Singer
02-12-2006, 8:34 AM
Welcome ...nice work!