PDA

View Full Version : The Carter Bandsaw Guy Said...

George Summers
02-20-2003, 5:07 PM
I went to the WW Tradeshow in Greensboro NC today and heard something very interesting at the Carter booth. At the time he was speiling the guide that goes behind the blade in the upper guide assembly. You replace the sideways bearing with this guide which has a groove in it that the blade rides in (sorta like my jigsaw has). Well anyway, to set up the guide, you push it forward (and the blade) til the blade deflects about 1/8" and tighten it. You also, and here is where I wonder, loosen and back off ALL lower guide mechinisms (all those below the table) using only the upper side and rear guides. Have I been using my saw all wrong by using lower guides, are all the manufacturers manuals wrong when they tell you how to set the lower guides? He made cutting and backing out of circular kerfs look real easy. Any experience by anyone using this guide?

I also was by the Bridgewood booth and they were comparing the PM cabinet saw with the Bridgewood. Had the tops off both and the entire trunnion assembly on the BW looked twice as massive as the PM. Really was impressed with the demonstration. Might have to look at a BW if I ever trade up to a cabinet saw.

George

John Miliunas
03-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Hey George. You mentioned the comparison between Bridgewood and PM. Do you remember/know if that was the heavier duty, left tilt Bridgewood or their lower line, right tilt unit? I'd like to keep it in mind if/when I make that jump, as well.

George Summers
03-10-2003, 8:26 AM
It was their 10" left-tilt. If I remember correctly, the top frame on the BW was machined iron vs formed sheet metal on the PM, the BW table was a 4-point mount vs a 3-point mount on the PM and the trunnion with supports was twice as massive as the PM

Don't know if the BW people have the same deal as Griz, where they will tell you of a close by owner that you can go see the machine at, but you might ask them.

George

John Miliunas
03-10-2003, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the info, George! Wow. Really does seem like a more stout unit and at a substantial savings. Yes, it would be interesting to get some "hands-on" or some direct owner feedback on the unit. Regardless, this info will definitely be stored for future reference.