PDA

View Full Version : Neener.....................Neener!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2006, 9:25 PM
My wife called me in for supper. I made a very....very makeshift table for the mini..........guess what I'm doing?...............having a lot of fun. SWMBO is coming out to take some pictures.............I'll post them later!:D :D :D :D :D

Travis Stinson
02-11-2006, 9:34 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Go ahead and kiss her goodnight Ken, we'll see you in the morning!:)

Steve Ash
02-11-2006, 9:36 PM
That's really cool Ken, glad you are having a ball. Will be looking forward to the upcoming pics.

John Hart
02-11-2006, 9:40 PM
Hot Dog!!!! It isn't Chariot Wheels is it? :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2006, 10:41 PM
That great Ken. Fun isn't it? Can't wait for the pictures.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Okay folks.........it's not a bowl.......it's a spindle of sorts.........species unknown........green it isn't....it was in my old shop and I haven't put any wood in there in a decade........it started out as a 2x2........I thought .....if you're going to get smacked in the chops rounding off something.....you might as well get it over with..........Mike Ramsey had sent me a couple of Raffan videos that I'd watched.........I took one of his practice sessions.....added my own twist.........so here it is.........my first ever wood turning.......don't hesitate to tell me what you think..........I'll ignore you and be out there in the morning practicing anyway!:p :D .........I was just trying to learn to use each of the tools I received this week and wanted to do a variety of forms........Just for the record I had never seen anyone work a wood lathe other than those videos.........you folks have a rookie on your hands!

Included is photographic evidence that I was using the lathe and a picture of the makeshift bench I rigged to turn this.

Jim Dunn
02-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Ken I'm impressed as all getout!! Good job:)

Barry Stratton
02-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Great job Ken!! That would make an excellent salmon bonker! Congrats on the new addiction......

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Excellent job Ken. My wife calls that a "attitude adjustment tool." Ken that is awesome right out of the chute. I think I tried 8 or 9 sqaure 2 x 2's to get used to what each tool will do. Keep praticing and you'll have it down soon. Congrats Ken.

Keith Christopher
02-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Way to go Ken !!!!! this is how it begins...Your confinements to the flat plane of being are over, Reminds me of a song by the Steve miller band...

I heat up, I can't cool down
You got me spinnin'
'Round and 'round
'Round and 'round and 'round it goes
Where it stops nobody knows...

good to see you spinning some wood...

Mark Cothren
02-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Ken, that is fantabulous!!!! And that lathe bench is first-class....:D

Keep it coming, man... keep it coming!!!!

THANKS for the pictures!

Travis Stinson
02-11-2006, 11:19 PM
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D
So Ken, that sting wasn't so bad, was it?;)

Carole Valentine
02-11-2006, 11:24 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:)
Just love to see someone making those first shavings (sawdust in this case?)

Me thinks you got some really dry stuff there Ken...tough to turn, but darned if you didn't do a bang-up job of it! Now go grab a green limb off a tree and watch those 4' ribbons come curling off there. That's the final step to total addiction.:) This has been more fun than a barrel of monkeys -watchin' you get thrown into the spinny thing. :D

Andy Hoyt
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick

Good Morning Lewiston! A new day has dawned!

Yahoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Indeed it has Andy.....Indeed it has my friend!:) :) :)

Cecil Arnold
02-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Hang in there Ken, you're gaining on it.

Jim Ketron
02-11-2006, 11:45 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Now Thats a start Ken!
keep that lathe turning!

Corey Hallagan
02-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Way to go Ken! That is really great!!

Corey

Glenn Clabo
02-12-2006, 6:22 AM
Way to go Ken! I guess I better get my butt in gear today.

John Hart
02-12-2006, 6:50 AM
Ken...This is a great Day!!!!! And you're already published!!:D

Bob Noles
02-12-2006, 6:52 AM
Looking good Ken...... Keep it spinning :p

Karl Laustrup
02-12-2006, 7:22 AM

May I expect my autographed copy to be forthcoming Ken? ;) :cool:

Glad to see all that flat WW'ing experience didn't go to waste. :D Why, that lathe bench is remarkable in its simplicity of design and function.

Congrats on your first turning. :D Is it a "Salmon Bonker"? :D Whatever it is you had best sign it, date it and save it. It will help you stay humble later on when your turnings are showing up in magazines.

Karl

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2006, 7:25 AM
Woooooooooo-Hooooooooooo!!!!!!

The world as you knew it has just changed for the rest of your life Ken!!!!!:D
Congrats Buddy.....and let me know when the box arrives. I believe I had it insured. Excellent turning Ken!!!!! Keep going!!!!!

Ernie Nyvall
02-12-2006, 7:49 AM
ALRIGHT KEN !!!

Way to go.

Ernie

tod evans
02-12-2006, 8:24 AM
so ken whadda you think? kinda fun eh? ...02 tod

Mark Singer
02-12-2006, 8:33 AM
Ken,
Excellent! Everything is turning before you....I know the feeling:confused: ....Nice work...make something clean and modern.....when you get tired of ogee'ing...just for me ...:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
02-12-2006, 9:55 AM
Way to go Ken! I only had video's to guide me also, Then I found SMC!
Keep on truckin & if you run out of wood just let us know :) .

John H, very, very cool! Is this the first publication? :) . Very fitting that
the winner of the Tick Tock lottery made the cover!!

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Beautiful job, Ken!! You're on a roll!!
---

John Hart...wow! That's a really slick magazine! Eclectic table of contents, however...

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 10:11 AM
That is great John, too funny!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Now that's funny.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 10:36 AM
LOL, John that is way to cool. Ken do we all get autographed copies???:D

George Conklin
02-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Isn't it a good feeliing to take a break from the chores of building your shop to do your first turning?

Now you've done it. You've fallen into the trap we have set for you. You will never finish the shop because all of your time will be spent turning and posting and of course buying more turning stuff. Bwwaaaahahahahaha!

Say good bye to life as you have known it.:D

George

PS. Good looking spindle:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 3:18 PM
John........I thought you'd want to know. My wife wants to print that "magazine front page" out, frame it and she says it will be posted on the wall above my lathe's permanent residence in my new shop! Now she's decorating my new shop?:( :eek:

Great work John!

Andy Hoyt
02-12-2006, 3:24 PM
Uh Oh! Next thing you know -- there'll be curtains!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 3:26 PM

I'll change the locks first!:D

Tyler Howell
02-12-2006, 3:30 PM
So Put that spinny toy down and get the rest of that shop done.
!!!! Let's get some real work done.:D
Congrats Ken. Now put the spinny toy down:mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2006, 3:35 PM
Tyler...........don't come down to the dungeon and mess with us! You are next! There's no sense in resisting! You can't win! Stare into the vortex........relax........it won't hurt........relax.........this won't hurt..........

How am I doing fellow turners?

John Hart
02-12-2006, 4:50 PM
John........I thought you'd want to know. My wife wants to print that "magazine front page" out.....

You might want to tell her that she needs to print 1500 more, so you can autograph them and send them out to your fans!:D

Jim Dunn
02-12-2006, 5:35 PM
I see doilies on the turning table too. Probably coasters as well??

Travis Stinson
02-12-2006, 7:21 PM
Tyler...........don't come down to the dungeon and mess with us! You are next! There's no sense in resisting! You can't win! Stare into the vortex........relax........it won't hurt........relax.........this won't hurt..........

How am I doing fellow turners?
I'd like to nominate Ken to be in charge of our recruiting department.:D

Vaughn McMillan
02-12-2006, 8:47 PM
I could make him a heck of a deal on some used green carpet. ;)

Nice salmon bonker Ken, especially right out of the gates. Turning is one of those things that can be easier than you'd think, and one of the hardest things there is to do, both at the same time. :D

- Vaughn

David Fried
02-12-2006, 9:29 PM
Alright Ken. Great turning!! I recall Mr. Singer, in the design forum, defining a table as a plane held up off the floor. Looks like you nailed it!!

Great magazine cover John!

I'll forgive Jim for slacking off, what with two little girls and Barbie getting back with Ken ;) So here it is.
(Jim is still the master at this.)

Dave Fried

Earl Eyre
02-13-2006, 1:22 AM
I'm impressed by your first turning. But I'm even more impressed by your bench. I'd love to see you put a big hunk of wood on that lathe, turn it up to about 2500 and watch the bench, the lathe, the ladders and everything else go airborn! LOL LOL

Glad you gave it a try! Keep the pics coming.

Earl

Pat Jeddy
02-13-2006, 1:33 AM
Your swmbo takes great photos!! You really look like you know what you're doing there! No wonder you're a coverboy already!!!

It's fun, isn't it?:rolleyes: