PDA

View Full Version : I'm set up now!!

Keith Webster
02-11-2006, 8:54 PM
I just WiFied my house today so now I can take my laptop to the shop. It might get a little dusty but hey......will be worth it to get needed info from you guys. Also use my laptop in my truck for my company and now I can just leave the laptop in the truck.,....when i pull up to the house...i can just transfer any folders up to my desktop....and there you go...nice huh!! Whats also nice is that Corpu Christi, Texas is one of only 3 cities world wide that have city wide free Wifi.....now at my house i will use my cable connection....but while out and about doing my job....well I can hook up with the city wifi..cool!. The main thing I will use while on the road will google map and any info about home repair. If any of you have any questions about what all i did to get this up just let me know.

keith

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 9:36 PM
No questions, but make sure you have setup security on your wireless access point so "others" can't piggy back on your connection or monitor your activities. Under no circumstances should you be using the default settings out of the box...including administration password, network name/SSID, etc. Even hiding your network name/SSID is a good idea these days!

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-12-2006, 7:46 AM
Which leads me to a question...

Does it do any good to disable the LAN connection to your PC when the cabling is still in place and the 'network' is active? I've made a habit of enabling/disabling, but I'm still curious...and I think I could get nine different answers from my network wo-corkers.

KC

Frank Guerin
02-12-2006, 9:48 AM
I can't offer any suggestions. I'm lucky to to have enough knowledge just to post this. Just wanted to say hello neighbor. I work in Corpus but live over in Ingleside. Maybe we have run into each other.

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Does it do any good to disable the LAN connection to your PC when the cabling is still in place and the 'network' is active? I've made a habit of enabling/disabling, but I'm still curious...and I think I could get nine different answers from my network wo-corkers.

"Any good" in respect to what?

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-12-2006, 10:35 AM
What? I thought it was a simple question. :o

Any good in that if you're disabled software wise but still PHYSICALLY connected via cabling, are you just as vulnerable as you are you are when you're enabled and online? When I disable the LAN connection via the desktop shortcut, am I isolated from the baddies despite still being 'plugged in', so to speak?

BTW, your question sounded like a good 'network guy' comeback. :D

KC

Chris Fite
02-12-2006, 3:54 PM
Be sure you have the current updates installed and firewall enabled. If you are using Windows XP, it will reject attempts to connect to your computer from unauthorized computers.

I have been entertained by seeing whose computers are open to the world as I travel around. Don't let it be yours.

Brian Hale
02-12-2006, 4:30 PM
My neighbor has a wireless net going and she is a work at home accountant for a fairly large firm. I can access every drive on their network, including 2 printers, no security at all. :eek: Good thing i'm not the malicious type.....

And yes, i've told them about it a couple times but it doesn't seem to matter ..... :confused:

Brian :)