PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary

Ken Salisbury
07-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Today is the 50th anniversary of a happy day in my life. The Korean War Armistice went into effect -- You had to be there to understand

Ken Garlock
07-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I was only about 10 - 11 years old when the "policing action" took place. I do remember the reports on TV. Just think what S. Korea would be like today if we hadn't intervened.

Jason Roehl
07-27-2003, 1:10 PM
Today is the 50th anniversary of a happy day in my life. The Korean War Armistice went into effect -- You had to be there to understand

On behalf of all of us here (I hope), MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE! We can't all know the horrors of war, but we can honor those who do and who did and died. Hats off.

Joe Tonich
07-27-2003, 1:41 PM
Dad was there. Never really mentioned it until not long before he died. Can't tell him but can to all here who served, Thanks!

Joe

Jim Hillis
07-27-2003, 4:14 PM

Ken, I remember it well I was a K-14 when it was agreed on I think we were restricted to base for a while. Then I left for the states in late August of that year. The day we got back to California a North Korean pilot landed a Mig at K-14 and collected $100,000.00 that he didn't know was offered for a Mig. I understand that no one on the base knew he was landing until he was on the ground.
Jim Hillis

Ron Jones near Indy
07-27-2003, 5:57 PM
to you and all vets for your service.

Lee Schierer
07-27-2003, 7:45 PM
Glad you were there and made it back okay. SMC wouldn't be the same without you. I was four at the time, so I don't think I had a great interest in world events at the time. Those who served remember it well I'm sure.

Glenn Clabo
07-27-2003, 9:05 PM
Sir...I salute you!

Dan Bussiere
07-28-2003, 8:30 AM
Ken,
As a retired Air Force Veteran, I salute you,and others for your service. I spent a total of 5 years on remote tours in Korea in my career. As tough as it is there now, life is good compared to the hardships you had to endure. For me, it's not a forgotten war.
Dan

Carl Eyman
06-07-2004, 8:40 PM
As a veteran of WWII with 4 yrs active duty and combat service, I stayed in the reserve when my active duty was terminated. "Might as well; if we get in another war congress will call up the reserve and institute the draft, right?" Wrong, Mr. Truman did it all by his lonesome. So I was called back into service in the summer of 1950. The house I'd bought was under rent control. I couldn't get enough in rent to pay the mortgage and taxes while I was on active duty. But still I was ready to give it a try. Then I found out what my assignment was going to be. - A platoon commander at a replacement training center. Any recent ROTC graduate could do a better job of that than I. My employer wanted to apply for a delay in reporting;i.e.,a deferment. I had objected up until I found out how the Chief of Engineers thought I could best serve my country. I let my employer request the delay, it was granted, and I never reported.

I've had very mixed feelings about that decision ever since.

Bruce Page
06-07-2004, 9:07 PM
Thanks Ken, and all that served in Korea.

Carl, thanks for bringing this back to life - I missed it the first time around.