PDA

View Full Version : A reminder

Keith Christopher
02-11-2006, 8:08 PM
To all of those without a Fire extinguisher in their shop let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. I was routing the 1/4" channel for the book rest on this curly anigre top pictured here (assembled in a dry fit):

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/shtender/shtender4.jpg

Well my 1/4" spiral up cut bit was getting a little hot on the 3rd pass, so I stopped and let it rest. When I looked in the channel. I had GLOWING embers in the dado ! I usually keep a bucket of water handy for wiping off excess glue or what have you as the sink is in a small bathroom off my shop main area. Well I put a little water in the dado quickly If I hadn't noticed the red glow coming from the groove well who knows what could have happened. I've never had this happen before. Don't know if anigre has a low smolder point, but I will tell you, I looked across the room at the extinguisher on the wall and decided, I'm adding another extinguisher to my shop ASAP.

For more information contact your local fire department. Here is a link with some information: http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/index.html

Keith

Steve Ash
02-11-2006, 8:13 PM
Point well taken, I don't have a fire extinguisher in my shop as of now....but I will by next week. I really should be smarter than this considering my dad lost his shop due to a fire in 1973 and lost most of his dad's woodworking tools in that fire. The few he salvaged he passed on to me.
I'm glad you caught it before it became a problem, and Thanks for the reminder.

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 8:37 PM
I have two in the shop...one by the "Front Door" and one by the door to the garage on the other side. Both are in easy reach should they be needed. They are inexpensive in the scheme of things...thanks for the reminder!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2006, 9:18 PM
And when you put those fire extinguishers in...put them near the exit....

Bob Noles
02-11-2006, 9:21 PM
Keith,

Great reminder and it is also good to check them frequently to be sure they stay fully charged. I keep 2 close at hand in my shop.

Jim O'Dell
02-11-2006, 9:30 PM
Very timely thread. I was thinking while at work today, that I needed to get one for the shop. Now I'll make it 2, one at the door to the back yard, and one by the swing out doors to the driveway. Jim.

Doug Ketellapper
02-12-2006, 1:01 AM
When I bought my current house and was arranging homeowners insurance, my agent said "you have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, YES?". She went on to say that having both kicked in a discount. Needless to say I said I had both and happened to be at Costco the next day they had some for a very reasonable price. I've got one by the door to my basement shop and one in the kitchen. Great reminder!

lou sansone
02-12-2006, 8:18 AM
1 real big one by the exit door

lou

tod evans
02-12-2006, 9:04 AM
8 in the shop 1 in the showroom......02 tod

David Fried
02-12-2006, 9:11 AM
I have one in the shop, by the door, but none at home! Hmmmm...

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, never thought of a board catching on fire that way. Have never had it happen. Thanks for the reminder.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I have three of those big boys in my shop. One by each exit and one in the middle.

My brothers shop burned to the ground a few years back. If he had a fire extinguisher the fire marshall said he probably could have saved it. By the time he called 911 and got a garden hose out and hooked up it was to late.

Gregg Mason
02-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I've got 2 in the shop. And several stratigically placed thoughout the house. Kitchen, Bedrooms, hall. Could it have been the sap or oils in the wood ?

Bill Ryall
02-12-2006, 1:52 PM
4. 1 by each of the doors, one mounted right next to my bench, and one on my welding cart.

I learned the hard way at my old shop. Fortunately, I had one and managed to put the fire out before I lost anything of value except my pride.

Bill R.

Keith Christopher
02-12-2006, 2:34 PM
I've got 2 in the shop. And several stratigically placed thoughout the house. Kitchen, Bedrooms, hall. Could it have been the sap or oils in the wood ?

Greg,

I'm note sure. I was taking light passes and on the third pass I noticed a heat buildup so I stopped the router, removed it from the wood. When I noticed this red glow coming from the dado. I looked in it was about as big as a pencil eraser and growing. Never worked with Anigre before so I don't know. This is a first for me in the shop.

Keith

Richard Wolf
02-12-2006, 2:48 PM
Not to steal the tread, but I now carry one to work at the job sites.
Here's my story; I was installing a railing in a unfinished house, I was by myself. This was the third day so my saw was covered with sawdust as well as the floor around the saw. I screwed two pieces of oak together. I then needed to trim one of the pieces. I just nicked the screw. I saw the spark but it didn't seem to go far. I went upstairs to install the parts. Looked down and my saw was aflame. I ran down to brush the sawdust off the saw, of course that made things worse. Now the sawdust on the floor was catching. I had a movers quilt with me to cover it up, but it could have been ugly.
I now carry a fire ex. to the job.

Richard

Bart Leetch
02-12-2006, 4:23 PM
Fire extinguishers

I was advised by the people that service our fire extinguishers here at the apartment complexes not to ever purchase cheap plastic valved extinguishers because they will fail to hold pressure & about the time you need them they won't work. The person that told me this explained that as plastic breaks down it shrinks & he showed me some older plastic valved extinguishers that had leaked down & we examined them along side metal valved extinguishers & you could clearly see why they had leaked down.

Roger Los
02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
My newly restored motorcycle caught fire (a BSA, need I say more?) and a cheap extinguisher I kept saved it. Mind, the extinguisher was on the other side of a locked door...dur.

As mentioned above, costco has a very good deal on extinguishers, a two pack for $20 or some such. We have one in the kitchen and one in the carport. When my shop is completed, one by every door plus sprinklers will hopefully keep the flames at bay.