PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Hauler...first steps...

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 2:58 PM
As some know, I gave up my beloved Tundra in the interest of "family comfort and space" once the girls became part of our lives. It's not a horrible sacrifice as the Highlander Hybrid Limited is oh-so comfortable and drives like a dream. But...it's time to start making for proper lumber hauling and that means a utility trailer. Today, I put the hitch receiver on and will have the electrical done in a few days once I have a wiring harness part that Toyota conveniently didn't include with the vehicle this time, despite it being 'towing ready'. Installation of the Hidden Hitch was very easy and only took about a half hour total...and much of that was just taking my time to avoid bopping myself in the head with some heavy steel.

I've already identified a 5'x10' tilt bed trailer from Load Rite that I really like and it should serve well for transporting materials for my woodworking, home improvement and landscaping. It's also rated for enough weight that I could, in a pinch, put the Kubota on it with the loader (but not the backhoe). I really can't justify a bigger trailer for hauling the tractor fully decked out nor do I believe I have a need to do so. More on the trailer later, when I make a final decision. In the mean time, here's the installed hitch receiver ready to go.

tod evans
02-11-2006, 3:47 PM
jim, if you`re planning on loading your trailer please seriously look at trailer brakes. when i had mine built i had them installed on both axels just `cause i`m known to push things on occasion:) .02 tod

Dennis Peacock
02-11-2006, 5:39 PM
Congrats Jim.!!! I use a 5' by 12' trailer for my "truck". I'd like to have a fullsized truck one day...again.....but I need to wait until I get some kids out of the nest first. As Tod mentioned....trailer brakes would be nice as when mines loaded, you can feel it pushing you on down the road. :D

Ray Bersch
02-11-2006, 7:18 PM
Great lookin rear end you got there Jim - good luck with it. Our Volvo XC is scheduled for replacement soon and the Highlander seems like the best bet for us, too. But my new car shopping takes on a life of its own so I can never tell what will eventually fit between my Leatherneck plates. However, if your girls are like my grandkids, whatever you do get the "all season" floor mats, that's a must option for me!

Hope all is well.
Ray

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 8:55 PM
Sorry Ray...no rubber mats for me! The regular ones are easy to clean. And...fortunately, the leather is also easy to clean, far easier than the soft stuff in Dr. SWMBO's Prius. I looked at the Volvos, but the CR stats on quality and maintenance are always so bleak...and so with the fuel economy, too. I'm averaging about 26 mpg in this colder weather with thy Highlander Hybrid which is darn nice for a mid-sized SUV with power to all four wheels when you need it. (Rear drive is electric only, interestingly enough) It's rated to tow 3500 lbs, and my trailer setup will be only rated for about 2000 lbs max. No problem. And towing will be a rare activity, anyway.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2006, 9:48 PM
Jim, before you get that trailer, make sure you look around for a local trailer builder. My trailer is from a local guy who builds trailers that will last forever. The 5x8 trailer is my second trailer built by him. I sold the first, a car hauler, for more than I paid for it new and then bought the utility trailer used. The guy I bought it from turned around and bought a larger utility trailer from him. There are a couple places like this in my area.

Norman Hitt
02-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Hey, Jim, just remember that when using a "Hybrid" Tow Vehicle, one should Only Haul "Exotic" wood.:rolleyes: Annnnnnnd.........at the price /bd ft for that Exotic Wood, it should automatically keep the "Load Weight" and the trailer well within the Tow Limits of the Vehicle.;) :D

Jim Becker
02-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey, Jim, just remember that when using a "Hybrid" Tow Vehicle, one should Only Haul "Exotic" wood. Annnnnnnd.........at the price /bd ft for that Exotic Wood, it should automatically keep the "Load Weight" and the trailer well within the Tow Limits of the Vehicle.

Well...will you settle for figured cherry? I don't work in exotics other than occasional turnings...although I am considering something more unique for a dining table similar to one that Todd Burch built awhile back.
-----

Jim, before you get that trailer, make sure you look around for a local trailer builder. My trailer is from a local guy who builds trailers that will last forever.

All of the trailers I've been considering are build locally. The one problem I've run into is that it's easy to get a 5'x8' in a tilt format, but 5'x10' is what I want. Load Rite (Fairless Hills PA) has what I want at about the same price as the others. It's also fully galvanized, rather than just painted. I want the tilt capability so if I just happen to buy a very heavy piece of machinery at some point... :) ..., it will be easy to unload into the shop, if you know what I mean... ;)

I have been keeping my eye open for something used, but most of what I've seen have been too big/heavy for my needs, over priced or in very bad condition. I can buy new for less than the most recent used trailer I came across...

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Looks good Jim!

Corey

Matt Meiser
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I have been keeping my eye open for something used, but most of what I've seen have been too big/heavy for my needs, over priced or in very bad condition. I can buy new for less than the most recent used trailer I came across...

That's usually true around here. If you find a good deal, you basically have to be ready to act on the spot. Like I said, I was able to sell my car hauler for more than new.

Rob Will
02-12-2006, 3:22 PM
jim, if you`re planning on loading your trailer please seriously look at trailer brakes. when i had mine built i had them installed on both axels just `cause i`m known to push things on occasion:) .02 tod

I agree. Here's a brake controller on my pickup that I really like. It has a digital readout that indicates generally how much voltage I am sending to the brakes. For example when you are empty, it might be set on "3" when you are loaded you might set it on "6". Really heavy loads might be a "10".

Rob

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Jim, think you made a good choice on your new "wheels". Like your PSU license plate..How did you do that?

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 2:48 PM
How did you do that?

I'm assuming you mean the lack of a number...Photoshop. No need to plaster my license plate number all over the Internet, not that someone couldn't find it anyway. I've been a life-member of the alumni association since right after graduation and got the plate shortly after they started offering them quite a few years ago.

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2006, 4:50 PM
I'm assuming you mean the lack of a number...Photoshop. No need to plaster my license plate number all over the Internet, not that someone couldn't find it anyway. I've been a life-member of the alumni association since right after graduation and got the plate shortly after they started offering them quite a few years ago.

Agree on hiding lic #. Too much info out there as it is.I figured you did that with photo editing software. I was more interested in the PennState Alum License. I've been an alumni member (on and off) for most years since graduation paying annual dues. One bad decision I made was to not be a life member which I now regret. The plates are probably available through the Alum magazine. I'll look for it. Thanks, Jim

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 5:56 PM
Hey Jim.

I know that this would be a stretch for you distance wise; but this is where I got my trailer up here. It's 5' x 8' tilt bed. Brand new was $700 out the driveway. Good guys and they'll build anything.

http://www.on-the-road.net/

Ray Bersch
02-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Jim has got to up there anyway to pick up a few Lie-Nielsen planes and saws - just in case the power goes out in his well equipped, but electron powered, shop