PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Stanley #45?

Brian Hale
02-11-2006, 1:51 PM
Just got back from Antique Row in Cockeysville and i noticed an old #45 rabbit plane for sale at $225. Looked to be in good shape and had an original wooden box full of differant cutters.

Is this a good price?

Brian :)

Kevin French
02-11-2006, 4:30 PM
Sounds about right. It depends on the type.

Here's a link to #45s on ebay

http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/45_Planes_W0QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsop Z1QQfstypeZ1QQsacatZ13874QQssPageNameZWLRS

Dennis McDonaugh
02-11-2006, 6:08 PM
That's a decent price if the plane is complete, the box is original, and the stanley label is on it. I've seen two types of boxes, an oak finger jointed wooden box and a metal box which sorta looks like an ammo can, painted yellow.

Brian Hale
02-11-2006, 8:36 PM
This one doesn't have a box for the plane, just the extra cutters. Perhaps i see if they'll take $150 for it....

Dennis McDonaugh
02-11-2006, 11:09 PM
This one doesn't have a box for the plane, just the extra cutters. Perhaps i see if they'll take $150 for it....

Oops, my bad I read 45 in a box. Yeah, that's to much. You can probably find one in that condtion cheaper on e-bay.

Dave Anderson NH
02-12-2006, 9:01 AM
Hi Brian, Four years ago I bought a Stanley #45 in brand new never used condition in the box with all of its parts including an envelope with spare nickers still stapled shut, the screwdriver, and the instructions. Be very careful as the newer models are far better functionally than the early versions and be prepared for a good learning curve if you intend to use it. One major thing to look out for is to see if the plane contains the cam accessory, it's often missing.

My #45 was purchased from an antique tool dealer so the price wasn't low or a real bargain, but it was fair. Your dealers price seems high unless the tool is complete with all of its parts and is in very good condition. Heavily used #45s are readily available and used ones missing some parts should come out in the $100-175 range depending on condition, type, and what parts are there. Unless you have access to local tool auctions, tailgate sessions of collecting clubs, or know a reliable used tool dealer be very wary about buying a tool missing parts. The cost of replacement parts via eBay or internet tool dealers can greatly increase the cost of completing your tool.

George Sanders
02-15-2006, 7:18 AM
I bought a small tablesaw at auction. Before the sale started I got the auctioneer to put all the parts together, (saw, motor, rip fence, mitergauge). There was a Stanley 45 that sold for $40. I bought the saw and several cigar boxes full of small items and guess what? I have a cam follower for a Stanley 45.