PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Serious

John Kain
02-11-2006, 9:33 AM
Hey all, new member here. Been reading this site and woodworking.com lately trying to get some tips on starting woodworking as a more serious hobby.

My real occupation is a surgeon. I have been looking for a hobby to keep me busy while at home. Recently, I cracked out the ole' craftsman table saw and router and made my daughter a toy chest. Turned out OK, nothing special. I would like to continue to do some intermediate difficulty woodworking in the future since I enjoyed making the chest so much.

I went to Amazon.com and bought Taunton's guides to "Complete Woodworking" and "Finishing". I read "Finishing" last night (since it arrived first). Any other references I should look into before moving out to the workshop (garage)? My grandfather and father taught me whatever I know about woodworking as a child.

Here's pics of the project to give you an idea of my current level of woodworking skill - i.e. amateur. I didn't use nails, just glue between tenon s and slots in the wood. I jointed the top with only a table saw, so it's uneven, but actually came together OK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/jikastew/stuff/Img0248.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/jikastew/stuff/Img0250.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/jikastew/stuff/Img0254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/jikastew/stuff/Img0255.jpg

David Fried
02-11-2006, 9:47 AM
John,

Welcome to the creek! The chest came out vey nice and I like the "safe" top. The chest my kids had always caused me some concern. Now, don't get to serious!

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 9:52 AM
Looks like fine work to me, John! Welcome to SMC...get out of your scrubs and pull up a log for awhile! :)

Jim Young
02-11-2006, 9:55 AM
Well, Dr. Kain, I'm a bit of a bookaholic, so I often refer to them. Taunton has a series of books that are nicely illustrated and very helpful when describing techniques. They range from sharpening to joinery. The books are set up similarly so they are easy to follow. I use them for reference. Here is one of them, look at the suggestion from what others have bought and you will get to the whole series.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561586838/qid=1139668583/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-1477779-7329702?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
They make nice evening browsing for when you have to keep the noise down.

You may also want to look into a workshop book. They are good references that will keep you from making some layout mistakes. You will also get a sense of what others are using for tools. "The workshop" by Gibson and "The Workshop Book" by Landis are two of my favorites. I generally stick with hard cover books since I am a little particular of how the book loooks (drives my wife nuts).

Last thing would be to buy high quality tools. Skimping on tools usually leads to heart ache (the kind a surgeon can't fix). With low end tools it's always a guess as to wether its the tools fault or your own skill level. No need to buy the ritsy high end tools, you end up not using the tools the way you should from fear of wear marks. Buying older tools is not so bad either, many are proven performers.

Getting into a local club is also a good idea to get knowlegable about tools and woodworking techniques.

Hope that helps answer the question you posted and also the one I think you are asking.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-11-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi John, Like you, my hands are very critical in my occupation(dentist). So I would read everything you can about safety in the shop. I think some people are by nature safety oriented and others are not but this is not something to learn all by yourself. Read and ask questions here but above all work safely. Welcome to the Creek. Alan

Oh, and great job on the chest!

Anthony Anderson
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Hey John, Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Very nice work on the chest. I immediately had a thought when you mentioned your occupation. Have you looked into a Sawstop table saw? Their website is www.Sawstop.com (http://www.Sawstop.com). To make a long story short (get the specifics at their website), if by accident your flesh (finger) comes into contact with the blade, while the blade is spinning, a brake will kick in and drop the blade beneath the table in .005 of a second. The result is you end up with a band-aid nick and not a finger amputation or worse. From my research they are quality saws, but a little pricey. They also have a true riving knife setup, that will prevent kickbacks. Some people don't like the Sawstop technology, because it seems "gimmicky", but even he agrees that the riving knife increases safety tremendously (No offense Frank). But the bottom line is that it appears to work very well. Anyway something to think about, especially in your line of work. The wife is telling me to get off the computer and come in for breakfast. Good luck and enjoy woodworking, and your stay here at SMC. Regards, Bill

Corey Hallagan
02-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Welcome to SMC John. That chest looks darn good to me! Nice work!

Corey

tod evans
02-11-2006, 10:10 AM
welcome john! proceed with extreme caution woodbutcherie is addictive:) .02 tod

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the Creek John! From beginners to pros....they all here with a passion for woodworking and always willing to exchange information or lend an opinion in a civil manner! Warning.....we have Photo Cops here! A Gloat isn't official unless it's accompanied by a photo!:D

Again..........Welcome!

Cecil Arnold
02-11-2006, 10:43 AM
You've already got a ton of advice on books so I'll just say welcome to the creek. Nice chest.

Dave Richards
02-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the Creek Doctor. That's a very nice chest you made there. As to reference materials, I think pretty much anything from Taunton should be good. There are quite a few books specific to certain tools that you might find useful. There's a tablesaw book the author of which escapes me but someone else will know I'm sure. Bill Hylton's Router Magic and other router books are good.

I've got a feeling you'll be sliding down the slope to the neander side pretty soon. You might want to look at The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack and the Workbench by Landis among others.

John Kain
02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey John, Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Very nice work on the chest. I immediately had a thought when you mentioned your occupation. Have you looked into a Sawstop table saw? Their website is www.Sawstop.com (http://www.Sawstop.com). To make a long story short (get the specifics at their website), if by accident your flesh (finger) comes into contact with the blade, while the blade is spinning, a brake will kick in and drop the blade beneath the table in .005 of a second. The result is you end up with a band-aid nick and not a finger amputation or worse. From my research they are quality saws, but a little pricey. They also have a true riving knife setup, that will prevent kickbacks. Some people don't like the Sawstop technology, because it seems "gimmicky", but even he agrees that the riving knife increases safety tremendously (No offense Frank). But the bottom line is that it appears to work very well. Anyway something to think about, especially in your line of work. The wife is telling me to get off the computer and come in for breakfast. Good luck and enjoy woodworking, and your stay here at SMC. Regards, Bill

Oh yeah, I know all about Sawstop. When I get the money and more experience, that's the table saw I'll buy. My fingers are just too important (like anyone else's aren't?????;)) Thanks for the reminder. I think they run about 3K?

Mark Rios
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Welcome John. Nice ta meet ya. There has been some recent discussion here on the SawStop TS and IIRC it starts around $2250 or so. There are some members who own it that will give you a better answer soon I'm sure.

BTW......I've got this pain................................:D :D :D

Mark Singer
02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
John,
Welcome...a lot of wood surgeons here....fine cutting and the patient usually lives:eek:

Maurice Metzger
02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
That's a very nice chest. Hmm, imitation *is* the sincerest form of flattery...

- Maurice

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome John. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge.

Ian Barley
02-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Welcome John. Very nice work on the chest.

I love the Landis series of books just for the voyeuristic pleasure of seeing the workshops, benches and toolboxes of fellow woodworkers.

Work safe and enjoy yourself.

John Bailey
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek. You're gonna' like it here as the projects, thoughts and advice are first rate. I like your chest. As far as books, I would second all the examples given with a special note given to the Landis books that Ian suggested. They are my favourites.

John

Ken Shoemaker
02-11-2006, 12:58 PM
John,
You chest is very nice... Seems to have a real nice finish... Great first post.... Welcome to the creek....

Ken

Anthony Anderson
02-11-2006, 1:38 PM
Oh yeah, I know all about Sawstop. When I get the money and more experience, that's the table saw I'll buy. My fingers are just too important (like anyone else's aren't?????;)) Thanks for the reminder. I think they run about 3K?

John, Yep they are in the $3+ range. You are correct that everyone's fingers are important. But if you lose a finger, or two, you are pretty much out of luck in your current area of specialty. On the other hand I could still manage without a finger. Try woodworking out for a few months. If you still like it, I would upgrade to the SawStop without a second thought (if I were in your shoes). Again, Good Luck, and glad to have you here, Bill

rick fulton
02-11-2006, 2:12 PM
John -

Another welcome to the creek. Much good advice on all things woodworking can be found here.

Just a note from your photos - it looks like you have another hobby - Beer Brewing? Or am I misinterpreting the apparatus near the water heater?

rick

David Duke
02-11-2006, 4:08 PM
Welcom to the Creek John, lots of good folks here.

Jay Knoll
02-11-2006, 4:13 PM
John

Welcome to the Creek! That is a great first project (echo in here?) and like others have said, this is a great place to learn and share.

Jay

John Kain
02-11-2006, 7:09 PM
Rick,

That is some homebrewing stuff. I can brew up some fine beer.....I've been doing it for awhile now (about 12 years). Are you a fellow homebrewer?

Check out the brew......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/thehains2/Brewery%20and%20Woodworking/Picture024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/thehains2/Brewery%20and%20Woodworking/Picture023.jpg

John

Steve Ash
02-11-2006, 7:58 PM
Welcome to the Creek John. Nice pics. I'm not a home brewer but my friend Jerry is and I'm his guinea pig. He always makes a corny keg for my Superbowl parties which we always indulge in before switching to the bought in a can stuff.

Glad you found us, a lot of helpful knowledge from beginner to pro.

RichMagnone
02-11-2006, 10:24 PM

As long as the sawstop is on hold, a "grripper" or two might be worthwhile.

John Lannon
02-12-2006, 5:22 AM
Welcome. I'm just getting back into wood working.

Karl Laustrup
02-12-2006, 8:06 AM
Welcome John.

As has been said this is a very addictive hobby. The rewards, such as the chest you built, are almost unsurpassed. I would think saving a life, with your hands, would be #1.

Karl

Ken Salisbury
02-12-2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Mark Rios
02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Welcome John. Nice ta meet ya. There has been some recent discussion here on the SawStop TS and IIRC it starts around $2250 or so. There are some members who own it that will give you a better answer soon I'm sure.

BTW......I've got this pain................................:D :D :D

Sorry John, looks like I was way wrong. I just looked at the Sawstop site and it starts at $2799 + accessories. Did I read correctly that even the fence is extra?

Tyler Howell
02-12-2006, 2:50 PM
Welcome To the Creek John.
You have the "Picture Police New Guy Seal of Approval".;)

rick fulton
02-18-2006, 2:53 PM
Rick,

That is some homebrewing stuff. I can brew up some fine beer.....I've been doing it for awhile now (about 12 years). Are you a fellow homebrewer?

John

John,

I did some brewing in college with equipment and setups similar to yours. Never did get a really good brew. I always had problems with the sugar carbonation technique. Years later I came across a micro-brewery that would let you use one of their vats, carbonation, sterile bottles, and bottle capping equipment for a reasonable fee. We could use our own recipe or use one of theirs. They had a super Brown Ale that tasted almost identical to Newcastle’s Brown Ale.

Splitting the cost and the brew with a few friends still resulted in many cases of 24 ounce bottles each. I actually enjoyed creating the label design more than making the beer, but not as much as consuming it.

BTW, great job on the toy chest. With a few modifications, you could build a wooden beer keg. Good luck with your woodworking projects.

Thanks for sharing.
rick

Ken Alcott
02-18-2006, 9:30 PM
I am in Georgia as well John, Welcome!