PDA

View Full Version : Question on Jointer finish

Dan Lyman
02-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Follow on question about my new jointer. Thanks to the advice I got here, I got rid of the sniping. I notice there is a lengthwise streaking on the boards after running through the jointer.

That is, I can see streaks on the jointed surface that are parallel to the length of the board. Kind of have to turn the board on an angle into the light to see them. I can't really feel them as the boards are smooth. They are most noticeable in Cherry and not so much in Walnut or alder.

I'm not worried or concerned just curious if this is normal. I have tried feeding the wood fast and slow and still see them.

Call me curious

Dan

Russ Massery
02-10-2006, 10:48 PM
There might be small nick or chips on the knives, or a sharp burr on the tables at the opening. Just some of the things to look for.

Brian Hale
02-10-2006, 10:49 PM
You most likely have a nick in one or 2 of the knives. Try shifting one knife a little to the left or right and see if it goes away.

Be sure to turn the cutter head by hand before you turn the machine on to make sure the blade doesn't hit anything.

Brian :)

Dan Lyman
02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
It is a new set of knives, the second I have tried. I did apparently have an issue with burrs by the cutterhead before, but cleaned it up with a file. These marks look different. They are wider and look more like scrapes. Maybe I'll work on the table edges some more.

Is it safe to say these marks are not commonplace?

Andy Fox
02-11-2006, 1:04 AM
I've had that streaking problem. My problem was caused by letting the knives contact the steel straightedge I was using to set the outfeed table height. Touching up the blades in place with a sharpening stone should fix it.