PDA

View Full Version : Glue up goof up help...

David Rose
07-27-2003, 3:57 AM
In my exhuberance of finally getting to glue things up I made a possibly major mistake. I'm unsure what proceedure to follow to "undo" things now.

This walnut cabinet is 8" deep. The lower shelf was to be glued at the front portion ONLY of the ends into a rabbet cut in the rail and stile end panels lower ends. Then I was going to use a cut nail at the rear of the shelf to allow for some movement. Well... I glued the WHOLE shelf into the rabbets! According to the Wood Movement Calculator that shelf should expand about .2 of an inch in the wetter seasons.

The back tongue and grooved pieces have another rabbet to allow for the shelf to expand. That is where the "two tenths" was to go had I left the rear unglued. The face frame *might* keep the board from expanding to the front.

What would you do? By the time I can expect any response here the glue will have set up around 16 hours. I used TiteBond II Extend so I don't know a way to break it loose. Am I worried for no reason?

David

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-27-2003, 6:29 AM
I wouldn't sweat it too much David, I have done the exact same thing, and was worried for no reason. I have intentionally built items that should have had allowances for seasonal movement, and glue 'em up tight. I have had no problems with any of them to date, but that is not to say that will be case everytime. I wouldn't worry about your "Oversight". I think it will be fine......climate control in homes nowdays is such that seasonal movement is very minimal, in most cases. Look forward to seeing the cabinet soon! ;)

Jim Becker
07-27-2003, 8:19 AM
If the grain direction of the shelf (front to back) matches that of the sides (front to back), you'll probably be fine, especially with walnut. I wouldn't worry about it and just move on.

David Rose
07-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Kevin, thanks for the "assurance". :) I think dealing with it now would be more work than it would be worth. As slow as I'm going... you'll see the cabinet someday. :D

Jim, the stiles run the same direction as the shelf, but the rails are opposing. They are pretty short (4" or so) so maybe that will help bail me out.

Thanks guys, I'll just leave it. If I had done this with hide glue I think I might undo it. I want to play with that stuff one day.

David

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-27-2003, 9:08 PM
Thanks guys, I'll just leave it. If I had done this with hide glue I think I might undo it. I want to play with that stuff one day.

David

David, if you think about trying hide glue try this site for some good information. http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57_hot_hide_glue.htm

David Rose
07-27-2003, 9:15 PM
Don, I am seriously interested. But the link didn't work. Want to try again?

Thanks!

David

David, if you think about trying hide glue try this site for some good information. http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57_hot_hide_glue.htm

John Miliunas
07-27-2003, 9:45 PM
David, among other things, I think one can easily define "wetter seasons" as one being humid. Seems to me we're right smack dab in the middle of that right about now! I believe if one was to make that mistake at any given time of the year, NOW is the time to do it! As mentioned, between it being Walnut and pretty decent climate control, you should be OK. :cool:

David Rose
07-28-2003, 12:37 AM
Hey John, you are right but the heat is up with it so the airconditioners are running big time too. Humidity in the house is 26% and in the garage it is 25%. Turn the air off and it would go up. My hygrometers (cheapies from Radio Shack) show highs of around 76%. These readings are from the spring and fall when the artificial air control is low but humidity is even higher than now.

Expansion is the expected move. I'm going to let it ride and learn a lesson or maybe receive grace. ;)

David

David, among other things, I think one can easily define "wetter seasons" as one being humid. Seems to me we're right smack dab in the middle of that right about now! I believe if one was to make that mistake at any given time of the year, NOW is the time to do it! As mentioned, between it being Walnut and pretty decent climate control, you should be OK. :cool: