PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi M12 Sale

Mark Hollingsworth
02-10-2006, 8:16 PM
Amazon.com has a sale on Hitachi M12V for $149 plus another $20 discount which seems like a good deal to me. But the reviews go from Great:) to Terrible:mad: Makes me wonder if I should try it or not. Does anyone here have any experience with this router? I'd like to have one if it's as good as some of the reviews say. Thanks,Mark

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 8:23 PM
The M12-V is one of the "venerable defacto-standards" routers, especially for table use right alongside of the PC 7518. $149 is a steal. $149 less $20 is, well...if I didn't already have five routers, I'd buy it without blinking.

Fred Voorhees
02-10-2006, 9:22 PM
Amazon.com has a sale on Hitachi M12V for $149 plus another $20 discount which seems like a good deal to me. But the reviews go from Great:) to Terrible:mad: Makes me wonder if I should try it or not. Does anyone here have any experience with this router? I'd like to have one if it's as good as some of the reviews say. Thanks,Mark

Mark I will say this. When I absent mindedly started my table mounted M12V with the collet locked into position, it quickly went up in smoke and was beyond repair. I just about as quickly got on the phone with Amazon.com and ordered another. The M12V is a great router for router tables and is easily adapted to such. In fact, the old broken one is still hangin around the shop because I just can't bear to part with the old girl! For the price you are quoting, I am wondering why you are still hedging around. You won't regret this purchase.

Russ Massery
02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
I have one in my router table. I found it at lowes for about the same price . I have been very happy with it. Plenty of power, My only con is the sleeve for 1/4 router bits. Well worth the price your looking at.

Tom Hurlebaus
02-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Amazon Hitachi M12V deal.. just placed my order ... at $130, I just couldn't pass ... thanks again ... Tom

Jim Young
02-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Can't go wrong with that router. I've had one in my table for many years without a hitch.

Mark Singer
02-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I use the same router in my table too:confused:

Mark Hollingsworth
02-11-2006, 9:08 AM
Thanks guys, Everyone has given the go ahead on this router but all of you seem to have it in a table. I don/t need one for my table but want one for handheld. Do you say (go for it here) as well? Oh! I hear my credit card calling! Listen! (Use me---use me) Well, what do you say? Do I answer-OK Master! Better end this. I'm having too much fun and the day just started. Mark

Alan Tolchinsky
02-11-2006, 9:19 AM
I'd want something a bit smaller for hand held use if that's your intent like the 2 hp Bosch or others. Or even a laminate trimmer depending on what you're doing.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-11-2006, 10:02 AM
For table use the M12V is hard to beat, and at that price....:eek: BUY TWO!!

They will NOT get cheaper!!

For hand held, man that is some big router.

I'm in Japan, and my choices are VERY limited, I have an M8 for my hand held, a good router, but compared to some of the stuff you guys get, not even close.

BTW here in Japan, we only have the M12, not the M12V, they don't sell it in Japan! :mad:

Man even so, get the M12V, and then build yourself a router table :D

Cheers!

Russ Massery
02-11-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with Alan, I go with something smaller for handheld use. The M12V a little on the "heavy" side for that. I bought mine with the intention of only using it in the table. I did try it out for handheld use and did care for it. I have my old trusty PC 690 for that.

Richard Neel
02-11-2006, 10:07 AM
How did you get the additional $20 discount? I am very interested in this router and have been waiting for a sale.

Richard Neel
02-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Never mind, I just found it! :o

JayStPeter
02-11-2006, 1:33 PM
I have one in my router table. I'm not a fan of using it for hand held use. I tried a couple times to see if I really wanted to dedicate it to table use ... I did.

Jay

Wes Bischel
02-11-2006, 2:02 PM
I agree with Alan, I go with something smaller for handheld use. The M12V a little on the "heavy" side for that. I bought mine with the intention of only using it in the table. I did try it out for handheld use and did care for it. I have my old trusty PC 690 for that.

Ditto to everything Russ said.:D

Wes

Mark Hollingsworth
02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After your feedback I decided that the M12 is too big for handheld and I will watch for some thing a little smaller. I kinda like the Porter cables anyway. Thats what i have in my table and it has performed just fine. Thanks again. Your opinions are truly valuable to me. Mark

Corey Hallagan
02-11-2006, 11:41 PM
If you want a nice feeling handheld, I would highly reccomend the 2 1/4 HP DW 618. It is a great handling little router. I tried several and I thought this ones feel was really nice.

Corey

Mike Goetzke
02-11-2006, 11:52 PM
I already spent too much on this Amazon bonanza including the M12V but yesterday they had the Router Raizer for $54 or $55 and got that too (it's usually $60-$80).

Just wondering - I'm not familiar with the M12V but with the Raizer will I still need to lock/unlock the height from under the table?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-12-2006, 1:44 AM
You can rig it up so that you don't have to.....

Setting up the Hitachi M12V for the router table (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/smfld-3.htm)

I followed this step by step, and it works like a charm!

Remote Lock (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/table-4.htm)

and this is specifically what you are asking about.

Cheers!

Mark Hollingsworth
02-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for dewalt suggestion Corey. Gotta a tool show to go to in 2 wks and I'll have to check it out. Mark

Allen Bookout
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I have the DW618 and it is a good handheld with the addition of a Pat Warner style base. If you really want a great fixed base router to go along with it take a look at the Milwaukee 5615, 5616 and the 5619.

Jason Morgan
02-13-2006, 8:43 AM
thanks for the heads up. Just picked one up. Have been looking for a reason to build a new router table and it looks like you just gave it to me. $130 is about 40% the cost of the comparable PC, and it sounds like it is truely comparable.

thanks again.

Rob Blaustein
02-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Amazon's site shows two different M12V routers. THey look a little different and one is a lot more expensive. Is that a newer version, and have they phased the old M12V out?

Mark Singer
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Amazon's site shows two different M12V routers. THey look a little different and one is a lot more expensive. Is that a newer version, and have they phased the old M12V out?
I think there is only one model....sometimes they have it list twice...same thing with the Bosch 3x21 belt sander I just ordered.

Rob Blaustein
02-13-2006, 9:13 PM
I already spent too much on this Amazon bonanza including the M12V but yesterday they had the Router Raizer for $54 or $55 and got that too (it's usually $60-$80).

You had to do that, didn't ya? Two useful tools, at steep discounts to boot--how could I resist? Guess I now have a nice router for my table and can liberate my smaller router for handheld work.