PDA

View Full Version : Rotary magnet connectors/fasteners

Mike Parzych
02-10-2006, 7:56 PM
On Ask This Old House today I saw them using a rotary magnet fastening system. Essentially it consist of a set of barrel shaped male/female threaded inserts that are inserted in holes drilled into the 2 pieces you wish to fasten together - they were using them to join stair railings. Once the pieces are inserted, a rotary magnet unit on a drill is held over the two pieces and it tightens the 2 threaded inserts, bringing the pieces together.

I didn't get a mfr. name - has anyone seen/used this system?

Richard Wolf
02-10-2006, 8:12 PM
Here is a web site to the manufacture of the connectors;
www.swissinvis.com/
This is the site for the rail jointing system with the connectores;
www.crownheritage.com/main.cfm?pagename=easalign

I have seen this system and have been tempted but not sure. The connectors run about $8.00 each in bulk. Using 10 to 20 on a rail job could add up and I already have a jointing system that works very well.

Richard

Mike Parzych
02-10-2006, 8:23 PM
Thanks Richard - Pretty pricey unless you would use it frequently. But it is an interesting system. Looks like it's still dowels and clamps for me, until it comes down a bit.

Richard Wolf
02-10-2006, 8:30 PM
If you are joining rail parts, I have an attachment for a Dewalt biscuit joiner that cuts a double slot which uses spline nails. Just like a factory connection. If you would like infomation about it let me know. Cheap, fast, and strong.

Richard

Brian Parker
02-10-2006, 8:47 PM
Richard, would that attachment work with the PC 557? If so please include a link.

Thx

Richard Wolf
02-10-2006, 9:21 PM
Richard, would that attachment work with the PC 557? If so please include a link.

Thx

Not sure, When I go to the shop tomorrow I will get you a web address so you can contact the manufacture. I will PM you.

Richard

Gregg Mason
02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I saw that that system on the show too. It's pretty neat.

Peter Stahl
02-12-2006, 4:38 PM
If you are joining rail parts, I have an attachment for a Dewalt biscuit joiner that cuts a double slot which uses spline nails. Just like a factory connection. If you would like infomation about it let me know. Cheap, fast, and strong.

Richard

I'd be interested in that to Richard. How to you connect the 2 pieces after the splines are put in the one side?

Pete

Richard Wolf
02-12-2006, 4:54 PM
I'd be interested in that to Richard. How to you connect the 2 pieces after the splines are put in the one side?

Pete

Peter, I have a kit to rebuild a Dewalt biscuit jointer so it cuts two thin slots into the end of a rail. You than cut two corresponding slots into the next fitting to be attached. Speacial spline nails are driven into the two sets of slots to hold the pieces together.
This kit and many more professional tools for the stairbuilder and railing installer are avaible from;
Steve Guenzel
Stairspecialties@hotmail.com
I know Steve on a Professional basis and he is a gentleman to work with.
I know he does not have a web site, so email him. He will be very helpful with any problems he can help you with.

Richard

Russ Massery
02-12-2006, 7:21 PM
I saw that too. Neat idea but was thinking to myself just how tite could you get, or does it matter?

Richard Wolf
02-12-2006, 7:48 PM
I saw that too. Neat idea but was thinking to myself just how tite could you get, or does it matter?

When I saw the system in Vegas, they weren't using a dowel with the connector. The connectors seems to hold the joint tightly together, but there was slight rotational movement. I think this is way they are now using a dowel.
In Vegas they also had a table leg attached to a flat top table with four of the connectors in the leg. This was very strong, but they had a cnc made template to drill the four holes because alinment is very important. I was thinking about maybe using this system to mount starting posts on stairs, but at $8 to $10 a connectors this could reach $40 to mount a post.

Richard