PDA

View Full Version : Cross Cut Sled (new member)

Marty Baucom
02-10-2006, 6:57 PM
Hello everyone......First post as I am new here at the forum. I want to thank everyone for the great advice I have received so far from all the posts I have read. My question is, does anyone watch the show on the DIY channel called freeform furniture and if so did they see that great cross cut sled Amy was using to build the mantle piece? From the looks it could be something from Biesemeyer. Build quality looked very nice and had a great blade guard at the rear of the sled. You can go to www.diynetwork.com (http://www.diynetwork.com) and visit the site for the show and see a few pics but none that give away the maker. I am interested if anyone knows who makes this. I have built 2 for myself but you can never have too many cross cut sleds.

Noel Hegan
02-10-2006, 7:16 PM
Hi Marty, welcome. I've never seen the show but here's the sled:
http://www.biesemeyer.com/tables/index.htm
Listed under "Sliding Tables".

Rgds

Noel
PS, think you might have to adjust your user name.

Marty Baucom
02-10-2006, 7:25 PM
Thanks Noel...Yes I think I need to adjust my user name. I did happen to find it at the Biesemeyer site after some digging. Seems pricey at over $450.00 for the largest one. I think I will stick to my homemade sleds. Thanks again.

Marty Baucom

David Duke
02-10-2006, 7:32 PM
Welcome to the"Creek Marty.

Ken Shoemaker
02-10-2006, 8:20 PM
Welcome Marty,
I bet you already know how helpful and useful this site can be. I'm lad to have you here with us.... Jump right in...

Corey Hallagan
02-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Welcome to SMC Marty!

corey

Jim Hager
02-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Welcome Marty, probably can't beat a homemade sled anyway unless you are wanting to look at one.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Welcome Marty. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here. Enjoy.

Rob Blaustein
02-10-2006, 11:45 PM
If you are in the market for one, the Woodhaven sled has been discussed a few times lately and people seem to like it a lot. They are not inexpensive, but less than the Bies. If you search for Woodhaven, you'll pull up a few threads.

And of course, welcome.
-Rob

Mark Singer
02-10-2006, 11:47 PM
I would just make one...

Jim Becker
02-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Marty, welcome aboard! I agree with Mark...cross cut sleds are easy and inexpensive to make and different formats may be better for different tasks. I, for the most part, use one similar to Norm Abram's version with the fence in the front so wider material is easier to work with. I have another that I use for both mitering frames, etc., as well as cross cutting small materials...again with a fence in the front for the straight cuts. That's my personal preference. Both were made from scraps and cost almost nothing.

tod evans
02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
welcome marty!