PDA

View Full Version : Hold downs for Raised panels

Dave Tinley
02-10-2006, 6:45 PM
Could some of y'all post pics of your hold down configurations for doing raised panels on a router table?

Thanks
Dave

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 8:33 PM
Dave, I just use fence-mounted feather boards on both sides of the cutter. My fence has t-slots that make for easy fastening of things like feather boards and clamping is just as easy. Sorry, but I don't have a pic available at present and my router table is being used for something else at present.

Richard Wolf
02-10-2006, 8:39 PM
I use Board Buddies on my router table. They work well if they fit into the application you are trying to do. You may need different size fences to use all the time.
www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=11262

Richard

James A. Wolfe
02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I used to raise panels vertically and have to say, I I was happy with the results. I added an auxilliary fence that's pretty tall and used feather boards to hold the workpiece firmly against the cutter. All was fine till that darned WW show came to town. Now I use a horizontal router table with a fence and feather boards. I raise the panel in three cuts, just to make life easier on the router and bits.

Jim

Dave Tinley
02-13-2006, 10:36 AM
James-
Which horizontal router table did you get?
This is something I have been contemplating for some time.
I was hoping to get one built but I just cant seem to find the time.

BTW- Where do you get you raised panel bits from??

Thanks
Dave

James A. Wolfe
02-13-2006, 1:57 PM
Dave,
I got the Shop Center manufactured by CFW Engineering, (602) 623-4065.
It is distributed by Caribou Tool Company at 1043 South Main Street, Dayton, OH 45458. I didn't see them at the WW Show this year so I don't know if they're still around.
As far as bits, that depends on the door panel. I have had great results with a ½" Straight bit on Arts and Crafts style panels since the table tilts the router to anything between 0º and 90º. The most common bit I use (kind of an overstatement since I'm a hobbyist, not a job shop) is a Porter Cable 43547 but I know Jesada and Delta offer them as well. I don't do enough doors to wear this one out so I can't say if it's better or worse than the others. It was the one I could get my hands on quickest and a lot of times, that makes my decisions for me.;)

Jim