PDA

View Full Version : Amana Prestige Saw Blade

Chris Barton
02-10-2006, 4:52 PM
Have any of you used the Prestige by Amana? This is a wide kerf blade for combination use and I am thinking about getting one. Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks,

tod evans
02-11-2006, 11:00 AM
chris, i like amana blades but don`t use combo blades.......02 tod

JayStPeter
02-11-2006, 1:34 PM
I have Amana blades that I like a lot ... just not the one you mention.

Jay

Walt Pater
02-11-2006, 6:41 PM
Using one now on my portable- nice, smooth, not perfect, rips. Aren't they on sale now?

Andy Howard
02-11-2006, 8:00 PM
I have the Amana Prestige 1040 blade on my 3 HP Unisaw, and it cuts great and leaves a good finish on everything that I have cut.

The only drawback that I see from this blade is the fact that the kerf is significantly wider than 1/8". Most 1/8" kerf blades may vary + or - a thousandth or two from .125". The amana is speced at .134". The ONLY problem I have with this variation in design is that now any jigs or splitters may not work with a .134" kerf. I have the Microjig splitter, and while it still does keep the wood from closing in on the blade, I loose some functionality of the MJ splitter due to the kerf being wider. It could also have an effect on cutting grooves or slots with your tablesaw if you are inclined to do that.

Hope this helps some.

Andy

Chris Barton
02-11-2006, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Andy, the thickness of the blade is actually a positive for me since I have a european slider combo with a riving knife. The riving knife is a little thicker than 1/8" so standard thin kerf blades can cause the wood to catch on the riving knife. Certainly the price is right. I have exclusively used Forrest in the past but, am willing to give the Amana a try, especially with your endorsement.

Juan Rivera
02-12-2006, 8:48 AM
Chris,

I've owned one for two years now and and have only had great results. For the money I don't think there is a better blade. It is perfectly balanced and flat making it extremely quiet.

If you had a contrator saw it might be to thick for the motor but with the saw you already have it should be great.

Go for it!

Juan Rivera