PDA

View Full Version : A follow up to Mike Zozakiewicz's thread re: Dado's

Mark Rios
02-10-2006, 2:13 PM
I just tried to install my Freud 508 dado set on my TS to make some cuts for my project. I have a 1998 Ridgid (Emerson) TS2424. I'm having the same problem that he is, sloppy chippers and outside blade on the smaller part of the arbor.

Can anyone tell me if it would be okay or not to use a piece of metal tape to make a temporary sleeve on the arbor? Would it have to be metal tape? Could it be any kind of tape to temporarily increase the diameter of the arbor?

Thanks very much.

Frank Chaffee
02-10-2006, 3:34 PM
Mark,
If I were faced with this situation I would contact both Ridgid and Freud for a solution.
A bushing/round shim, as a solution may be quite feasible, but the precision required for this may (or may not), be beyond your capabilities. Please check with the experts first.
Frank

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 5:55 PM
I would actually hope there isn't enough slop in the arbor diameter to allow you to use any kind of tape or other material. I agree you should contact the saw manufacturer for a solution for this obvious engineering flaw. It's not Freud's fault, that's for sure!

Kelly C. Hanna
02-10-2006, 6:10 PM
I tried two Freud dado sets before I gave up on them. I swapped over to the router for all dados save the 1/4 drawer bottom cuts. I could never get the Freud set to produce a flat bottom. Granted it wasn't the most expensive one, but after two and then two other types of dado blades, it was time to give up.

The cuts were slightly better when I had the Grizzly 1023, but not enough to keep the set. When I had the set on my 2424 it was OK, but never got a flat bottom. I was thinkin' that maybe HD got a bad bunch of dado blades from Freud, so I bought thte next one at Rockler's. It was a bit better, but still not flat.

Tom Peterson
02-10-2006, 6:28 PM
often the arbors on these saws have a taper on the thread that allows the chippers to shift. If so, to fix you would have to replace the arbor. I have the dado set and it works fine now that I am using it on my Unisaw with the ground threads. On my craftsman alll the dado cuts had ridges

Howard Acheson
02-10-2006, 10:41 PM
The problem is caused by the way the arbor is threaded on Emerson built Craftsman and older model Ridgid saws. There is a groove between the end of the threads and the flat, unthreaded portion of the arbor. The groove allows the chipper in that position to cut in a non-concentric circle--meaning it cuts deeper.

Many have gotten around the problem by filling the groove with an epoxy metal like JB Weld. Clean the area thoroughly with acetone. Then slightly overfill the groove with the epoxy. When it has hardened, use a file followed by sandpaper to smooth the filler. This should allow you to cut better dados. I know of at least two saws that have used this "fix" and both are going strong after ten or more years.

Mark Rios
02-11-2006, 2:03 AM
Thanks for your replies. To make a check of the set I actually put the blades and chippers on to make a 3/4" dado (at no time during the proceeding check did I turn on the machine, nor did I with the dado set on at all). The first blade fits normally. All of the chippers and the outside blade have movement and it seems that they all have the same amount of movement, not just the innermost chipper.

As far as machining anything for the arbor, that's just not something for me to attempt, even if it was a good idea. I just didn't know if one could use metal tape to make a sleeve. One wrap around with the ends meeting; no overlap. If not, then I have a BRAND new never used Freud 508 dado set for sale.:D