PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some angles....

Chris Yarish
02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
To say I'm bad with numbers is an understatement...so I'm asking for some help to confirm some of my math.
I have laid some hardwood in my living room and tile in my front entryway. I am attempting to make my border piece between my tile and my hardwood. I have a 130 degree angle to deal with though.
If I am to mitre 2 pieces of my "border wood" to fit in this angle, do I simply bisect the angle and make two 65 degree cuts?

I'm not sure if this is a muddy description, but any input would help. Angles always get the best of me....

Thanks

tod evans
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
chris, draw it out full scale on scrap, where the lines intersect connect the dots then using a bevel guage transfer the angle to your saw. make a test cut out of scrap and try it in place. then, when you have the correct angle cut your real wood.......02 tod

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Chris,

If you're sure of the angle, and are wanting to join two miters at the 130 degree angle, then yes, you would simply have two 65 degree miters. Think about how you would divide a 90 degree joint. You have 45 degree miters, right?

However, Tod's way should ensure you get it right. If your angle is off a bit from 130 degrees, or you saw is a little off, it won't work to simply use math to get it. I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much. Good luck!

Byron Trantham
02-10-2006, 12:03 PM
chris, draw it out full scale on scrap, where the lines intersect connect the dots then using a bevel guage transfer the angle to your saw. make a test cut out of scrap and try it in place. then, when you have the correct angle cut your real wood.......02 tod

Todd is right on this one. Making a template FIRST is the only way to go especially whenre there is "some question" about the actual angle. Good luck and send us some pics.:D

Joe Chritz
02-10-2006, 2:03 PM
Ditto Tod..

I built my house from the ground up and you may find this hard to believe but my corners, both 45 and 90 weren't "really" 45 and 90.

I solved it by using templates, mostly scrap cardboard and/or lots of trips to the miter saw.

Good luck

Joe

Brian Dormer
02-10-2006, 2:06 PM
I seem to recall finding an angle calculator somewhere on the internet.... don't recall where. It even did those nasty compound miters. But the simple answer is: yes, you just bisect the angle. So for 130, cut two 65's.

Richard Wolf
02-10-2006, 4:41 PM
Actually, if I understand you correctly, you need to set your chop box at 25 degrees. When you are making 90 degree cuts the saw is set at zero. So to cut 65 degrees off the fence you must set it to the reciprocal angle, which is 25.

Richard

Keith Christopher
02-10-2006, 5:16 PM
I have to second (or third) the use of a bevel gauge. No corners are "square" so while you're in the ballpark of 130deg I would do that JUST to be sure.

Lee DeRaud
02-10-2006, 5:58 PM
Actually, if I understand you correctly, you need to set your chop box at 25 degrees. When you are making 90 degree cuts the saw is set at zero. So to cut 65 degrees off the fence you must set it to the reciprocal angle, which is 25.Absolutely correct.

But for best results, set the saw to 25 degrees the other side from the way I set it.:p