PDA

View Full Version : First bowl ever

Tom Jones III
02-10-2006, 8:42 AM
This is the first real turning project I've ever done! I signed up for a class, Intro to Bowl Turning with Steve LeGrue at the Cutting Edge in Houston. We had our first of three classes Wed. night. I only signed up because LOML would like to take the class but she would never have gone alone so I suggested that we both take it. It turns out I think I enjoyed it more than she did!

We started the class from a rough blank of kiln dried walnut. We ran over time so I did not get to smooth it down completely so I just started to put some oil on it but I realized that it was even too late for that, so it is what it is. The light colored spots are the raw walnut where I didn't put any oil. After I buy a chuck and scraper I'll finish smoothing it then properly oil it.

People were so helpful when I was asking questions about my lathe purchase, and then so many people were encouraging when I bought my lathe, then people were so friendly and encouraging when I went to a turning meeting that I thought I would post this simple little bowl and let you know that your helpfulness and encouragement are very appreciated. It turns out I love turning much more than I thought I would!

Mark Cothren
02-10-2006, 8:45 AM
That's a great start, Tom! Nothing like making curls... very neat that your wife is involved, too! How come you didn't post HER first bowl?? ;) :D

Looking forward to seeing more of your work soon!

Thanks for the picture!

Jim Dunn
02-10-2006, 9:17 AM
Tom I'd eat icecream out of it! Nice form on the lip too.

Tom Jones III
02-10-2006, 9:25 AM
How come you didn't post HER first bowl?? ;) :D

I forgot to mention that part. Although we were working in different parts of the room and hardly saw each others work, Our bowls are identical. If it wasn't for the little bit of oil on mine, we would not be able to tell them apart! I guess that is what happens when you've been married almost 12 years.

I tried to take a picture of both bowls together, but the light/dark difference was so great due to the oil that the pictures came out looking horrible.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2006, 9:26 AM
Great first bowl Tom!

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Ah...another one gets on with the addiction! Good job, Tom! And I agree with Mark...you should post the LOYL's bowl, too...or have HER join SMC and do it!! ;)

Gary Max
02-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Ahhh yes another one is hooked. In 6 months they will be sneaking out to the shop in the middle of the night to see how thier bowls are doing.

John Miliunas
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Way to go, Tom! And it's a mighty tough piece you picked for your "first"! Dry Walnut is a bear even for experienced turners! Good job! :) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Great first bowl Tom.

And Jim's right - perfect for a double scoop of Maple Walnut Irish Cream

Mike Ramsey
02-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Great first bowls Tom & Wife!
Hate to disagree with Andy but I
think that a tripple scoop of
Butter Pecan would set it off better!!!

Tom Jones III
02-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Ahhh yes another one is hooked. In 6 months they will be sneaking out to the shop in the middle of the night to see how thier bowls are doing.

One of the first things I noticed about the lathe is that it is so quiet that I can continue working into the shop long after "quiet" hours.

BTW, You are all wrong the bowl is intended for Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
...BTW, You are all wrong the bowl is intended for Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Can't argue with that.

Mark Cothren
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Great first bowl Tom.

And Jim's right - perfect for a double scoop of Maple Walnut Irish Cream

Here we go again....:cool:

Andy, I just put you on my prayer list...:D

Brad Schmid
02-10-2006, 11:06 AM
That's a great start Tom! Glad you're enjoying it:cool:

Mark Patoka
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Great "starter" bowl. Watch out because you're headed down the "his 'n hers" tool path now.:) It's great she shares that interest with you.

Bill Stevener
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Tom, that is one great first turning. It is quite rare to see one done so well for the first.
As the general concusses seams to favor it as an ice cream bowl, I would rather elect to have mine from your wife's bowl, as I don't think I would care for the oil as a syrup topping :D . As far as a flavor goes, I'm with Mike R. all the way.

Very nice, thanks for showing and I can't wait to see what the "two" of you spin next.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Tom that is a excellent first bowl. I think it is cool you got your wife involved. Mine does wood working on the bandsaw and scroll saw. She told me when I got good enough then I could teach her. I just turned my first bowl of black locust a week ago. Keep it up Tom.

Tom Jones III
02-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Since everyone is so keen to eat ice cream out of my bowl, you should probably know that LOML is planning to use hers to serve picante!

Brad Schmid
02-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Since everyone is so keen to eat ice cream out of my bowl, you should probably know that LOML is planning to use hers to serve picante!

Now you're talkin' :D

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Sacrilege! Harumphf harrummmpfh:D

Bob Noles
02-10-2006, 2:04 PM
Tom,

Great first bowl and we are still waiting on my first :rolleyes:

Blue Bell Praline Pecan for me :D

John Miliunas
02-10-2006, 2:09 PM
Sorry guys but, my long-time favorite is still New York Cherry! Mmmmm, mmmmmm, gooooood! :D :cool:

Keith Burns
02-10-2006, 2:29 PM
Forget the ice cream...lets just celebrate the fact that we can say "ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST !" twice !

Great job on your "First" Can't wait to see more.:)

Cecil Arnold
02-10-2006, 3:26 PM
Tom, great first effort. You and your wife don't look old enough to have been married 12 years. Steve is a good teacher, I only wish I had listened more attentively. I suspect there may be another 3520 (or maybe a Oneway--okay Andy) in your future.

John Hart
02-10-2006, 3:29 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Tom! From here....there is no way out! Not that you'll WANT out!!;)

BTW...you're all wrong....Häagen-Dazs Coffee kicks butt.....with chocolate syrup....whipped Cream....Shlamaca Berries.

Tom Jones III
02-10-2006, 3:50 PM
You and your wife don't look old enough to have been married 12 years. Steve is a good teacher, I only wish I had listened more attentively. I suspect there may be another 3520 (or maybe a Oneway--okay Andy) in your future.

Remember in Texas the minimum marrying age is 14!

I thought Steve was a very good teacher. He obviously knows what he is doing and he communicates it clearly.

Of course, we could buy 2 PM 3520's for the cost of a single OneWay! Or we could stick with one PM3520 and buy a lot of ice cream for all the bowls we will make.

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 3:51 PM
....Or we could stick with one PM3520 and buy a lot of ice cream for all the bowls we will make.

I like this guy! Finally someone on here has the priorities correctly identified:D

Travis Stinson
02-10-2006, 7:00 PM
I'm with Keith....ANOTHER one(2) down!:D
Great job Tom!

Corey Hallagan
02-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Looking good Tom! Nice work!

corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
That's great Tom. Keep'em coming.

Ernie