PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
02-10-2006, 6:21 AM
Well gang, it's Friday. For some of us it means the end of the work week. For others, that are retired:D , it's just another day. But whatever it is for you let's hear what your WW [or other] plans are for the weekend.

In case some of you are wondering, check out Dennis Peacock's thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30797 explaining what "Weekend Accomplishments" and "Weekend Doin's" is all about. The "Weekend Doin's" sounded good to me, so I put my hand up. :cool: Who knew somebody would see me through my 'puter. ;)

I haven't been getting any WW'ing done, on the weekend, since we've been away from the main homestead. I'm over there everyday so I take weekends to spend with LOML and granddaughter & mom. LOML and I do have to go to the General Contractors to pick out tile for our shower and around our bathtub Saturday.

It's supposed to be cold, single digit lows, low 20's highs, so maybe I'll just sit in front of the TV and watch the Olympics the rest of the time.

So, what are you planning on accomplishing this weekend, or in some cases these next two days? Let us know.

And then check back in on Dennis's post Monday and let us know how you did. :) Have a good, safe and productive weekend.

Karl

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2006, 6:32 AM
My "plan" is to get my new lathe attached and running. Also...it's my birthday on Saturday so DRLOML has made a reservation at one of the nicest places around. Of course there appears to be a little snow (~8-14 inches) on the way so we may just spend the evening with a good bottle of wine at home.

Marty Walsh
02-10-2006, 6:49 AM
Well in a way, I *will* be woodworking, but not the type I want to be doing. My plans are to get the remainder of the trees in this picture bucked and out of the way of where my new shop will be going.
When I was clearing the mess left by the dozer, I purposely put the logs in the way of the new shop to keep me from moving forward with the shop without finishing cleaning up. When we bought this property, there were several large piles of debris that the previous owner 'planned' to burn and clear, but never got around to it. I didn't want that to happen. What better incentive could I have than the need to get them cleared to make room for the new shop?

And as you can see, we're going to wind up with a LOAD of firewood. My plan is now to include a woodstove in the new shop to help use up this surplus.

It won't be long...
- Marty -

Bill Simmeth
02-10-2006, 6:53 AM
Thanks Karl for starting this up and Glenn - Happy Bday in advance! I am going to finish the gutting of the LAST untouched room in the Victorian I'm restoring. I hope by Sunday to have a new subfloor laid and to pad out the old framing. Then on to new wiring...

Karl Laustrup
02-10-2006, 6:58 AM
My "plan" is to get my new lathe attached and running. Also...it's my birthday on Saturday so DRLOML has made a reservation at one of the nicest places around. Of course there appears to be a little snow (~8-14 inches) on the way so we may just spend the evening with a good bottle of wine at home.

Let me be the first, at least on here, to wish you a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" Glenn. Whether you go out to eat or have a bottle of wine with DRLOML at home, I hope it's one of the best ever. :)

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 298142" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Marty Walsh</TD><TD class=alt2>Well in a way, I *will* be woodworking, but not the type I want to be doing. My plans are to get the remainder of the trees in this picture bucked and out of the way of where my new shop will be going.
Attachment 31558 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31558)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That kind of looks like a woodworking shop in the rough to me, Marty. ;) :D

Bill Arnold
02-10-2006, 7:05 AM
Ok, Karl. I'll jump in here also.

Today (Friday the 10th) our tenth anniversary. Unfortunately, LOML has to work instead of staying home with me and, uh....well...:D

Tomorrow, we're headed to Tampa to spend a few hours at the State Fair -- I have a shift in the Fine Furniture exhibit Saturday evening.

Then on Sunday -- well, uh......... ;)

Joe Blankshain
02-10-2006, 7:06 AM
First, Happy Birthday Glenn. Second, nice wood pile Marty. Lastly, I will be spending the weekend with the LOML so that I do not get in to deep for being gone to D.C. on V-Day (tuesday). But, I may be able to convince her to go over to the shop with me for a couple of hours on Sunday, due to the fact that I had Sat TV put in yesterday for her entertainment. Have a great and safe weekend.

Bob Noles
02-10-2006, 7:28 AM
Going to be a cold couple of days here in Atlanta so I am keeping the shop heaters running in hopes of spending time with my lathe. May do a little shop cleaning and re-organizing to tighten up for more space.

Hope everyone can find a relaxing way to pass the Feb days waiting for spring to arrive.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2006, 7:33 AM
Well........if I can find a way to sharpen a 3/4" rough-in gouge, I'm going take "The Bomb" for a short drive and post pics of same. Then back to finishing the ceiling of the shop. Having a new piece of woodworking equipment has given me the necessary drive to get that shop finished before I retire!

Tom Drake
02-10-2006, 7:45 AM
Since I'm able to work in my shop all week long I plan on doing some cleaning there and then helping my grandson with his lathe rebuild.

Happy Birthday Glenn!

Matt Meiser
02-10-2006, 7:45 AM
Planning to get started on a new hall table this weekend. Found the veneer I wanted a couple weeks ago, so I want to get moving on it.

Jim Hager
02-10-2006, 8:05 AM
Well, my plans are to construct an order of raised panel oak doors. I think there are 36 of them to do. I will begin tonight by gluing together the panels and will startup early in the morning to mill the rails and styles.

David Duke
02-10-2006, 8:12 AM
First want to thank Karl for starting this thread, I always like to check out Dennis' "accomplishment" thread on Mondays be kinda interesting to check out the before and after.

Saturday morning I think that I will be making my way into Houston to attend the Woodworkers of Houston meeting, this will be my first time to go, I have been wanting to attend but Saturdays are family sensitive and its about an hours drive for me. While out I hope to pick up the necessary hardware I will be needing for the clocks I'm trying to build, if anyone read my thread from last night ...."One of "Those" days"......., you will understand.

I hope the remainder of the weekend that I can finish the WWing part on the clock and maybe watch a little of the Olympics.

Oh yea......Happy Birthday Glenn, and Bill I hope you and your wife have a wonderful anniversary!!

George Matthews
02-10-2006, 8:19 AM
My oldest daughter arrives this morning with my one year old granddaughter and five year old grandson for three weeks! I will start on the pirates chest with the grandson.

Details of the pirates chest project... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30348

Steve Ash
02-10-2006, 8:36 AM
Well Karl, I'm probably going to be working on the new kitchen cabinets I'm building for my sons house (Building boxes thread) and also I hope to go to a friends house this weekend (Saturday) who is the wood shop teacher at a nearby school district. Hopefully I can persuade him into giving me a shop tour. Sunday I'm going to an old college buddys place for church services and dinner....maybe check out his woodpile out in the barn and see what he isn't using:cool:

Tyler Howell
02-10-2006, 8:52 AM
Thanks Karl this is great.
Headed to the Dump this mornng!!! Large pile of demo refuse is in the back.
A sad day in our family. My mother's in failing health and we are moving her to an assisted live facility. Hopefully just to get her meds adjusted. I've been pushing for this for a while because I never felt comfortable with her in that big house alone.
A little remuttling at home and then my youngest daughter wants to fire up the big Iron . She has a couple of projects she wants to tackle and I'm glad to help.:D
Have a safe one

Robert Mayer
02-10-2006, 8:59 AM
The loml is outta town this weekend so im going to get cranking on my new project. I bought this thing a couple weeks ago:

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/tv.jpg

Sony 50" lcd. As you can see its sitting on two filing cabinets and a piece of plywood. I got a ton of tiger maple and im going to build the cabinet with it. Its going to be pretty simple. It will be simliar to this:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/everythingfurniture_1885_282596725

The front will just two doors that span the entire length and will have some ambrosia maple and some stained glass for the middle of the doors.

Chip Charnley
02-10-2006, 9:07 AM
Well, Saturday I am going to spend on my 'other' hobby of playing games. Train games to be specific and LOML is going with me. Sunday is kind of up in the air. My boss has about a 25' high 20"+ diameter hard maple stick in his yard that a storm blew the top off of a couple years ago. I am going to try to go over there and see about dropping it and getting someone in to mill it. There are also supposed to be some large branches on the ground that may or may not be worth milling. Got to check them out. Might be some nice spalt for some of my turning friends. If I don't do that, I'll be working on cleaning up my den, installing the RO water cooler that's been sitting there for a year and a few other minor projects to finally get it finished after moving in a little over a year ago.

Steven Shelby
02-10-2006, 9:07 AM
Just heard they're expecting 6-12" of snow here Saturday night. So that may explain my plans for Sunday morning anyway. My driveway is huge but the snowblower is a beast so that shouldn't be too bad.

Our Cocker Spaniel, Kelsea had surgery a week ago. So I've been taking some time off/"working from home" to take care and keep an eye on her. For the first few days, I couldn't leave her alone. But now that the wound is starting to heal up, I can get into the shop a little more without worrying about her health and safety.

DW appreciates the sacrifice and has suggested that I spend as much time as possible in the shop this weekend since a)Kelsea's doing better and b) DW is home to keep an eye on her. With at in mind, I will be in the shop with a pot of coffee and about 3 or 4 projects of varying levels and sizes underway:

1)Made routed name signs for our camper. Made them out of maple, need to put another top coat or 2 on them, then attach them together with chains.

2) making simple chissle holders to hang from the pegboard. I have the maple glued up, just need to cut to size and drill holes. I also want to make some sort of rack/ shelf to hang on the pegboard that will accomodate my oversized K-body's (50") since they won't fit on my mobile clamp rack.

3) as recently mentioned in previous post, I am designing a fold-up work table that will be out of the way when not using in the garage/shop. I have decided on a "murphy bed" type of design, most of which is still in my head. I plan on getting materials and starting on it this weekend.

4) Lastly but not leastly, continued progress on the cupboard/ hutch commissioned by DW to go in the eating area of our kitchen. It's partially painted (blue to match the table, chairs and other stuff I've done in the kitchen) and maple. The bottom hutch piece is complete and being used in the kitchen. I'm working on the cupboard now. Found the plan in Wood, and it's what DW wants so it's what DW gets!:D

Wow... I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Better get started!!! The digital camera has been on the fritz lately. BUt I'm getting new memory for it today which will hopefully fix the issue. If so, I will post pics of above if anybody cares!

To all of the Creek family, have a great weekend! Work safely!

Larry Fox
02-10-2006, 9:16 AM
Hope to finish face frames and start milling rails and stiles for kitchen cabinet project. Spent this week building some jigs and such that I need so I hope it pays off with smooth working this weekend.

Jim Dunn
02-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Going to the WW show in Collinsville, Il. Hope to meet a bunch of fellow SMC members there.

Alex Berkovsky
02-10-2006, 9:42 AM
Looking forward to a day-long hand cut dovetail class at our WW club on Saturday. Sunday looks like a snow shoveling day since 6"-12" are predicted.

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 9:57 AM
I'm looking at that same 6-12" of snow that Steve mentions...

This weekend will be eclectic and will likely have some shop time given the weather. My original plan was to get the hitch receiver installed on the Highlander, but that may be a more unpleasant job if there is snow coming down, requiring a delay. So, I'd like to hopefully work on finishing up the finish on a dyed natural edge vase I started a few weeks ago and continue to prepare the area upstairs in the shop where I'm going to move my turning stock storage. (I'd like to reclaim some wall space for cabinets and more efficient tool storage, rather than hunks of wood). I may also work on some flat work, but it depends on family things. Oh, and I need to turn a handle for a P&N square scraper I scarfed during the recent Woodcraft sale.

Older daughter is going to spend a few hours at a new friends house on Saturday afternoon for the first time ever. If she can behave properly, it may be allowed again as we feel it a valuable step to set younger daughter free a little. (Readers of our BLOG (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com) will know about these issues)

And it will be nice to have Dr. SWMBO home again...she's been in grant review meetings at NHI for the second half of the week, leaving me as "Mr Mom" for a few days. You haven't lived until you've tried to get some sleep with an insecure, hot, sweaty 10 year old next to you with her smelly feet wrapped around your legs for half the night...while the 6 year old is snoring "mightily" two feet away. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Tonight, they are back in their own room!!

Lou Morrissette
02-10-2006, 9:58 AM
Thanks for taking on this task, Karl. Seeing as I just finished a job today for a customer and will be delivering it this afternoon (on time :eek: ), I may get a chance to "play" in the shop tomorrow on some intarsia. Sunday looks like snowblowing and shoveling around here.

Lou

Anthony Anderson
02-10-2006, 9:59 AM
A sad day in our family. My mother's in failing health and we are moving her to an assisted live facility. Hopefully just to get her meds adjusted. I've been pushing for this for a while because I never felt comfortable with her in that big house alone.
A little remuttling at home and then my youngest daughter wants to fire up the big Iron . She has a couple of projects she wants to tackle and I'm glad to help.:D
Have a safe one

Tyler, sorry to hear about your Mom. She will be in our thougths and prayers. Hope her health improves with the medication changes. Have a great weekend working with the kids. Regards, Bill

Karl Laustrup
02-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Have a safe one

Sorry to hear about your mom, Tyler. Will pray for the best for her.

On another note, we WILL see pics of your daughter with the "BIG IRON" right? ;) :D

Byron Trantham
02-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Happy Birthday Glenn!

We have snow comming tomorrow so I will be hauling in firewood for the LOML. I'll be putting the last touches on a buil-in kitchen desk for a clinet. Pics later this afternoon.;)

John Miliunas
02-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Glenn, Bappy Hirthday, dude!!! :D Hope it's a good one.

Tyler, bummer about your Mom but, it sounds like this may be the best solution for all involved, especially her!

Ken, we will be expecting to see some type of spinny product come no later than Monday!:D

As for myself, it's work tonight, get the oil changed on the car tomorrow and then, seeing as to how the LOML is gone all day to some silly flower show, I'll be taking the opportunity to spend some quality time with my daughter. Planning on going to the "big city" and taking in a movie, lunch, etc...:)

Sunday, probably do some cleaning/picking up in the shop, as my last few projects have left messes scattered throughout the shop. Hopefully will be chucking up a fresh donor on the lathe and, if the hand isn't hurting too badly, make something round out of it. :D

Have a great weekend, all and thanks for cranking this up again, Karl!:) :cool:

Joseph O'Leary
02-10-2006, 10:42 AM
It looks like a busy weekend for me. I am going to try to change the plugs on my wife's and my brother's cars. I can remember when a tune up was something I looked forward to doing. when I open the hood on both the Envoy or the Equinox I can't really see the engine!! I'm sure there are spark plugs in there somewhere, just have to find them. Once my garage turns back into a wood shop I hope to start putting the mortises (sp?) in the corner posts for my sons bunk beds, and get them on the lathe. I ran a 2" square mock up of the posts last weekend to see who to get a clean edge on a square section as it transitions to a round section, it came out pretty good. I hope to get one of the real posts ( 4" square x 2' 8" long) turned this weekend.
The only bummer is having to go to the hospital to see a good friend:( . The guy is in his 40's, just started chemo for stomach cancer and had a heart attack 3 days after his first treatment. Seems like its always the nicest guys in the world that this stuff happens to.
Oh yeah, in the middle of trying to do these things I have the horrible task of being Daddy to great little boys:eek: !! "Plaaaaayyy with us daddy:D !"

Bryan Somers
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Dont have to work this weekend.:D Snow in the forcast here too. How much depends on which forcast you listen to, wich means by about 9:00 tonight there will be no milk or bread left on any shelves and the entire area will shut down.:rolleyes: May be a good weekend to do absolutly nothing. Need to redoo shelves in the laundry closet so will probably take care of that

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Am hopefully going to begin construction on a new timberframed model for a custom builder in Ann Arbor Michigan; but there are still details that need some finessing. If that doesn't happen, it will be snow management and turning some more hickory.

David Fried
02-10-2006, 12:21 PM
They're calling for 31 degrees on Saturday and 25 degrees on Sunday so I think my shop time will be limited. I need to cut some tenons for a box I'm working on and I have a duck call half done so I might brave the cold for a bit.

I did have coffee last week with a nice lady I recently met so I think I might find something else to do ;)

Dave Fried

Bill Lewis
02-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I plan on doin' everything I couldn't get done last weekend, and anything that doesn't get done this weekend I plan on doin' next weekend.

Last weekend was laying tile, this weekend is grout, and install the railing for the basement stairs. Stay close to your computer Richard Wolf aka Mr. Railing, I may have some questions.

Keith Burns
02-10-2006, 1:42 PM
OK, I'm up here from the "spinny" side thinking this could be interesting and maybe help me complete my plans for the weekend. I plan on coming up with an idea and a plan, writing a narrative, and photographing the process for my entry into the "IT" Contest. Thats the extent of my plans.:D

JayStPeter
02-10-2006, 2:28 PM
I was planning on trying to spray the boys beds this weekend. But, a certain nor'easter could make it uncomfortable (and not conducive to good finish) to keep doors and windows open for ventilation. Not to mention having the kids cooped up is a lot of work ... so, we'll see.
Either way, it'll be fun to play with the boys out in the snow some. Hopefully, this'll come and go and maybe I'll get to spray the beds next weekend ... yeah ... that's it :rolleyes: :cool: .

Jay

Michael Gabbay
02-10-2006, 2:34 PM
I need to install 6 pairs of Blum sliders on a vanity I've been working on. I also want to start building a tub front panel (raised panel) for the tub. Finally, I want to get some sharpening done on some chisels and planes.

Hopefully we won't get snow.... :(

Vaughn McMillan
02-10-2006, 2:58 PM
I plan to set up the trellis I finished up for LOML a couple nights ago, then I'll likely make some tweaks to the doggie door I installed last night. It's a bit too high for the small dog, and the big dog will fit just fine with the lower door, but I'm going to need to find an aesthetic way to "move" the hole in the door (I have several ideas). Shop-wise, unless SWMBO has other things on the list for me, I'm hoping to get started on a pool cue case that I've had in mind for a while. Lots of other little plans for the shop, from a general cleaning to seeing what I can do about a router table fence.

-Vaughn

Dan Oliphant
02-10-2006, 3:17 PM
Well I'm one of the lucky ones that don't care what day it is, they are always Saturday or Sunday.:D :D
Thought I would play around in the gardens a little, spring came a bit early this year, temps are in the high 70's for the second week in a row. Might do some more work on a hall table that is in process.
Might just sit in the back yard with my feet up and enjoy a cooled one (or two).

Keith Christopher
02-10-2006, 4:26 PM
Gonna finish this and turn about 2 dozen pens to populate 3 stores.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/shtender/shtendside.jpg

john mclane
02-10-2006, 8:15 PM
Saturday I'm taking a planing class at the local Woodcraft for a couple of hours. They are also having a workbench demo in the afternoon. I'm also going to work on the base of the workbench I've started. Snow late Sat and Sun here. Watch a little Olympics in front of the fire. Nice snow walk

Maurice Metzger
02-10-2006, 8:49 PM
Is that the correct plural of mortise? Anway, I'll be chopping some of them into the legs for a small table. And cutting dovetails for a top tray for a tool tote I have planned.

With the chisels I have that means a round of sharpening in there too.

- Maurice

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2006, 9:41 PM
Hope you are watching the Olympics...this is what HD is all about...AWESOME!

Dennis Peacock
02-11-2006, 3:30 AM
Greetings Karl,

I plan on spending some time in the shop this weekend doing a little organizing, cleaning up, and getting things ready for the Robland X-31 to head out the door to it's new owner. Other than that, it's church on Sunday and family night Sunday night and back to work on Monday.

Thanks for the Weekend Doin's.....

Tony Falotico
02-11-2006, 8:39 AM
Well I'll be in the Master Bedroom all weekend, working on the walls and ceiling. Goals are to:

Paint closet walls
Install new flooring in closet
Install new folding door in closet
Install shelves, hanging rods, shoe racks, etc.

Be lucky if I get all that done, but if so and I have time I would like get:

Bedroom ceiling painted
Bedroom walls painted
rip carpet out of bedroom area

I'll be happy (and lucky :) ) if I get the first group completed. Wishing all a great weekend, whatever you have planned.