PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Locating A Thread.

Randy Meijer
02-10-2006, 5:46 AM
Fairly recently, I have seen a thread somewhere about drilling a small hole in the fingernail to releive the pain from smashing it with a hammer or other heavy object. Thought it was here; but have searched and can't find it. Is my memory totally shot or am I just doing a poor job of searching?? If it is here, I sure would appreciate any help!! Thanks.

Jesse Merino
02-10-2006, 6:43 AM
Dont know about that Thread, but, I sure do know that it HURTS to do THAT!!!

Take a small drill bit and drill it "backwards", so the drill doesnt "catch" on the fingernail and make you wish you hadnt woke up that morning!!!

Tom Stover
02-10-2006, 7:30 AM
I have taken the smallest bit I have and just twisted it back and forth with my hand. It takes a while this way but you don't drill through your finger. :D

Lou Morrissette
02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Randy,

I don't know about the thread, but the method I have used is mount the smallest drill you have in a pin vise, sightly heat the drill with a lighter and rotate the drill slowly. The heat will help melt/drill the hole until the pressure will push the blood through. Point it away from you as it will realy squirt.:eek: Good luck.

Lou

Hal Flynt
02-10-2006, 10:23 AM
A piece of wire or paperclip heated red hot and carefully pushed through the nail works too.:eek:

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 10:28 AM
How about a visit to the doctor??? ;)

Tom Stover
02-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Jim probably had the best idea.

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
How about a visit to the doctor??? ;)

A visit to the doctor will probably come by drilling first too. Good grief, you guys have a lot higher pain threshhold than I do! I'd just live with a black fingernail. jmho

John Daugherty
02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
When my niece was small (about 5) she got her finger closed in the car door. My sister took her to the Dr. fearing her finger was broken. It wasn’t, but the nail was black. She said the Dr. used a small bit to drill through the nail to relive the pressure. My sister said blood must have shot a foot into the air when he pierced the nail. My niece, being squeamish at the sight of blood, promptly passed out!

Rob Bourgeois
02-10-2006, 1:49 PM
Go to doctor..they either will use a hot needle or the sterile "drill bit".

I could tell you a tale of my finger and a car door that would make most of you cringe. I get shivers just remembering it now.

David Duke
02-10-2006, 2:33 PM
A piece of wire or paperclip heated red hot and carefully pushed through the nail works too.:eek:

Thankfully haven't had to do it in a long time but a heated needle will go right through without hardly any pressure. I've done the small bit route too but it takes too much down pressure. I know one thing when the pressure is finally relieved it sure feels good.

Tim Morton
02-10-2006, 5:18 PM
Not sure which is more painful..actually smashing my finger with a hammer...or reading about it here...OMG...why didn't I stop once i knew where it was going....:( :(

Jim O'Dell
02-10-2006, 7:44 PM
Happened to my brother while we were at the lake house one week growing up. Parents took him to a local dentist. One light touch of the high speed drill and it was all over....the place.:eek: Jim.

Randy Meijer
02-11-2006, 2:33 AM
Thanks for all of the responses!!