PDA

View Full Version : Festool router guide rail adaptor - worth it?

Thomas Walker
02-10-2006, 1:58 AM
I have a 1400 router and guide rails that I use with the circular saw.

Is it worth spending the $60 for the adaptor to attach the router to the guide rail for cutting dado's?

Is it quick, and do you line the rail up exactly with the cut line, or do you have to use an offset with the router?

Would I be better off making something like the adjustable dado jig that was in a recent Shopnotes?

Dev Emch
02-10-2006, 2:04 AM
Personally, I do not like the festool adaptor that gets the 1400 interfaced to the guide rails. A bit cheesy and not that accurate. The one that I like is actually the Micro Fence. Micro Fence modified one of their micrometer adjusters to interface the 1400 router to the festool guide rails. Now, you can dial in changes to within thousandths of an inch accuracy. Very Nice.

Frank Pellow
02-10-2006, 8:26 AM
I use my 1400 with the guide rail adapter to cut all my dadaos and most of my rabbets. I have not experienced any problems with the adapters. But, then again, I have not tried the micro fence that Dev mentioned. It certainly is possible that I might like it even more than I like Festool's adapters.

Dave Falkenstein
02-10-2006, 9:04 AM
I have used the adapter and OF1400 router to cut dados on the MFT. I think it works well. There is a mark on the front of the router that aligns with the center of the bit - this is the mark you use for alignment of the cut. The adapter sits on the rail and there is a small "foot" that compensates for the fact that the router is on the guide rail and not on the material. There is an adjustment screw between the two parts of the adapter that you use to dial in the cut - you do not move the guide rail once it is close. There is a knob on the adapter to help guide the router on the rail. I have had good success cutting what I consider to be precision dados. I have no exposure to the Micro Fence adapter, but I'd like to try one some time.

Jim Becker
02-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I have not had any problem with "accuracy" with the Festool router guide once it's adjusted properly to glide on the rail with zero slop. I do agree that if I needed to do something with great precision, the MicroFence is a wonderful thing. (I sill need to obtain an adapter for my Festool routers, however. I only have the PC and DW adapters for it right now)

Dan Racette
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
MicroFence is the way to go. You've got some pretty good recommendations here from Dev and Jim. I believe that Mr. Pat Warner also speaks highly of the MicroFence. I am quite shocked at how much plastic that is in Festool line. I am shopping for another router right now, and for the price they charge, I am literally shocked.

d

JayStPeter
02-10-2006, 1:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the guide rail adapter for the 1400. The piece itself is fine. The problem I have is the footie that props up the 1400. It's pretty unstable. The router can easily tip in any direction if you don't hold it steady. It's one of those things you'll wish you had 3 hands for. I built the same jigs for the OF1400 that I've used for years with other routers and am more happy with them.

Jay

Jay Knoll
02-10-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of the guide rail adapter for the 1400. The piece itself is fine. The problem I have is the footie that props up the 1400. It's pretty unstable. The router can easily tip in any direction if you don't hold it steady. It's one of those things you'll wish you had 3 hands for. I built the same jigs for the OF1400 that I've used for years with other routers and am more happy with them.

Jay

Jay, can you show us pics/details of the jigs you built?

Thanks

Jay in Vero Beach

Thomas Walker
02-11-2006, 1:47 AM
Here's a link to a video of the Shopnotes adjustable jig in use. I'm building it without the self-clamping feature, since I think it will be easy enough to use with one of my clamps.

http://www.shopnotes.com/video/video.php?clip=DadoJig&speed=high&type=wmv

JayStPeter
02-11-2006, 1:31 PM
Jay, Mine are very simple. The shop notes jig above is a lot slicker and I may build one of those sometime.

Mine are shown below. They are easy to make. Just start with a piece of MDF. Glue and brad a couple "fence" pieces on. I use my SmartMiter to get the MDF perfectly square and index the fence pieces to it ... easy. Then I flip it over and make the slot for a collar by running it through the table saw with the blade height set to just cut through the MDF. To fit the "shelf" in perfectly, I usually make a light rabbet on the edge to fit the slot I routed as opposed to making the slot fit the piece.

Jay

Jay Knoll
02-11-2006, 3:49 PM
Jay

Thanks for the pics and the explanation! Looks simple and effective!

Jay