PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer 78-960 Overhead Guard Question

Todd Davidson
02-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Do any of y'all have this set-up? I know it's meant for the commercial 50" fence set up, but could it be easily modified to work on the commercial 30"?

Thanks. In peace, Todd

Matt Meiser
02-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the 30" one. You could modify to fit, but you will have 3 issues that I can think of.

First, the threaded rod that moves the guard left and right will be too long. This is fine, just take it out and throw it in your junk pile. I don't know why they put that on as it isn't necessary in my opinion. I took mine off so I could quicly move the guard out of the way.

Second, the tubes will be too long. You can just cut these off. I can even give you lengths off mine if you want.

Finally, when you cut the tubes off, you'll remove the weld nut that is used to lock the two tubes together. You'll have to attach another and repaint the area. If you or someone you know doesn't have a welder, I'm sure you could do something like put a T-nut in a small block of plywood and epoxy it over a hole to accomplish this.

So, in short if you are getting the one that is too big because you are getting a good deal, go for it.

Chris Fite
02-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I have one of them on my Delta 10" tilting arbor saw with the 50" Uni-fence. You could trim the tubing from the side to a shorter length to accommodate the smaller table, from what I can tell from looking at it. Excellent piece of equipment. I had forgotten how much it cost.

Ed Bamba
02-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I installed one on my ZCS and replaced the rear rail with one that is about 10" longer; this is in preperation for moving the front tube 10" to the right. Still need to build and install a wider aux table to add some rigidity to the blade guard arm. I made the rear rail longer than needed so it can accommadate a 50" right rip capacity. Just need to move it to the right another 10". I decided not to modify the guard tubing since I wanted to have the ability to have more right side rip capacity in the future. Another option that I was considering was adding an extension to the rear rail, just enough to attach the arm.

HTH, take care,
Ed

Chris Rosenberger
02-10-2006, 8:56 AM
Do any of y'all have this set-up? I know it's meant for the commercial 50" fence set up, but could it be easily modified to work on the commercial 30"?

Thanks. In peace, Todd

I have it on my Unisaws. As Matt said, the 50" model could be cut down to work with a 30" fence. From looking at mine, I believe you can make it work by just shortening the tube that holds the guard. You should not have cut the support tube. As for the adjusting screw. I removed mine years ago. It is alot quicker to adjust or remove the guard without it.

Chris

Charles McKinley
02-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi Todd,

You should be aboe to do this. I did the reverse I purchased the 30" model when Redmond had a great deal on them (plastic was foggy) and added a piece to fit my 50" rails. It isn't hard to get the pieces lined up and welded back togeather.