PDA

View Full Version : Using Adobe Illustrator

David Fairfield
02-09-2006, 8:31 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post!

After being a long time "lurker" :D I decided to purchase a 45w Epilog! Am expecting it to arrive any day now, I'm very excited!

I'm a graphics artist, have always used Adobe Illustrator for the Mac. I'd like to hear from anybody who uses Adobe with a laser application. I'm looking for advice on how best to transfer Adobe illustrator files from the Mac--> to the PC--> to the laser.

So, for example, should I get Adobe for the PC, and email files from the Mac to the PC, or can Corel for the PC accurately translate Adobe files into Corel language without bugs?

I feel I'm a bit of an old dog to learn Corel if I don't absolutely have to! So, please gimme some ideas! :o Thanks! I look forward to sharing my experience with you as it grows

Sincerely,
David

Rodne Gold
02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Corel will import AI files very easily , save your AI files as ver 8 or ver 7 and just import into Corel (the new version of Corel , ver 13 or x3 is excellent in this regard)
We often import from mac based systems , most ad agencies use em. Corel will import a lot of other formats properly too.

Dave Fifield
02-10-2006, 2:43 AM
Hi David, welcome to the forum. Your name is quite close sounding to mine! :) Hope we don't get confused!

I reckon if you're familiar with Adobe Illustrator, then it will be pretty easy for you to become an "old hand" at Corel in no time flat. Corel Draw does seem to be the de-facto standard for lasering...

Cheers,
Dave Fifield

Clyde Baumwell
02-10-2006, 6:59 AM
Dave
I also use MACS for my graphic design/printing business and purchased a used ULS a few months ago. And resurrected a PC my daughter wasn't using since I got her an emac. On ebay I purchased Corel 11 (cross platformed) since that was the last version that had both Windows and Mac versions. I often create using Illustrator, Photoshop and Corel 11 on the MAC side and then send it via a ethernet cable to a shared file on the PC. The set up works with a few hiccups (what doesn't?).

Hiccups I have encountered are; the illustrator files imported into Corel on the PC must be large since they take some time to print to the laser engraver. Corel 11 on the MAC sometimes quits on you (MAC OSX 10.4) and Corel claims that it isn't Tiger ready; Corel is not an easy program to learn intuitively for old Photoshop and/or Illustrator pros. I have successfully used Photoshop and Photoshop Elements for the PC sometimes to engrave.

But maybe I will bite the bullet. I have recently been watching the posts for opinions on Corel tutorial CDs and seminars (that's how I learned a lot of Photoshop).

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2006, 8:12 AM
Another alternative that works from Mac is to publish to pdf, then import the pdf into Corel. If you do want to learn some Corel I have used a CD program to train two employees to the point where they could do laser engraving/cutting work. It's Corel Draw 12 Unleashed by Foster Coburn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974980102/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/102-5990028-3028903?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The all day classes are hard to find and expensive, and I've found that people with experience on other graphics programs like AI, Freehand, etc. can easily pick up Corel.

Clyde Baumwell
02-10-2006, 8:26 AM
Joe
Thanks for that info on the CD. Problem with PDF s is that it does not account for eps type files where vector cutting might be needed. And I also wonder about how a PDF will handle engraving photos. Any thoughts?

David Fairfield
02-12-2006, 8:15 PM
Hello everybody, just wanted to say thanks for the replies. Seems the best solution is to get Corel for the PC, since it will both read Adobe files from my Mac, and communicate with the laser. That's one problem solved I'm SURE I'll be back with more soon!:p

Thanks again
Sincerely,
David

Ken Frisby
02-12-2006, 9:53 PM
David,

Not really true. Corel doesn't do a good job of reading AI files. I usually have to open them in Illustrator and resave them as PDF compatable AI files. Almost 90% of the AI files I receive from from customers can't be opened in Corel directly without saving them in Illustrator first.

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2006, 7:49 AM
Joe
Thanks for that info on the CD. Problem with PDF s is that it does not account for eps type files where vector cutting might be needed. And I also wonder about how a PDF will handle engraving photos. Any thoughts?
People give me pdfs from mac or pc all the time, and I use them for the laser (engraving and cuttind) and also the vinyl plotter. If a vector file is published to pdf it stays vector.

Ken, the problem opening ai files in Corel that I have had is with the latest versions. If the artist saves it as an older vesion they import fine.

Ken Frisby
02-13-2006, 1:16 PM
Joe,

I'm well aware of that. But, the customer doesn't always listen or forgets to tell the designer to save it in an older format. In most cases it is easier and less time consuming to resave it myself in Illustrtor.

Dan Racette
03-07-2006, 1:45 PM
Adobe Illustrator for the mac saves out .pdfs and illustrator also opens .PDFs.

I am a long time mac user if anyone has any questions they want to PM me.

d

David Graham
03-08-2006, 3:53 PM
Hi David,

I mainly use AI, but do use Corel on occassion with my laser engraver. It can do everything (as far as I know) Corel will do. I do have a PC so I don't know much about Mac or if there are bugs with the Mac version. I don't know which version of AI you have, but I have tried both AI CS & CS2. There is a bug with the CS2 (PC) that adds additional lines to engrave when sent to the engraver. So if you have CS2 and it has the same bug, then there is no way to fix

With the CS version I have only found one engraving bug so far. If you use the vertical text tool you will need to convert them to outlines using the "Create Outlines" option undet the Type menu before sending to the engraver. Otherwise it will not engrave the text properly. So it's a quick fix. Other than that I have not found any other bugs. I would imagine yours would be the same if you have CS.

Good luck!

David

Clyde Baumwell
03-09-2006, 9:00 AM
My engraver vector cuts when the lines are red and hairline.

When creating a vector image in AI (on the Mac side) then saving to PDF and reopening for engraving on the PC--the image is not recognized as a hairline thickness (or maybe red). I have tried a variety of thicknesses in AI (since hairline is not a choice as in Corel).

So--how are you guys creating a vector image on the Mac, saving to PDF and vector cutting with a PC on a laser?

(Be a lot easier if there were print drivers for the MAC)

Dave Fifield
03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
If you don't have a "hairline" option, just set the line width to 0.001" and you should be all set to vector cut.

Dave F.

David Graham
03-09-2006, 12:32 PM
The magic number is .003". That or below and it should cut.

Clyde Baumwell
03-10-2006, 9:42 AM
A thickness of .001" worked. Nothing else. Thanks