PDA

View Full Version : One of "Those" days

David Duke
02-09-2006, 7:47 PM
Just spent the last two hours milling the cherry stock for a couple of clocks I'm building, 32 pcs for the frame. Simple frame for the glass to fit in, 3/4 x 3/4 with a 1/4 x 1/2 rabbet for the glass to fit in with 45* angles on each end. Had them all cut and was gluing up when I noticed that I had cut the angle on the wrong edge :mad: :mad: :mad: !

Well I guess it was fun until then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Corey Hallagan
02-09-2006, 7:59 PM
Don't yah hate stuff like that! Bet you were sick. You probably won't do that again :)

corey

David Duke
02-09-2006, 8:02 PM
...You probably won't do that again :)

corey

At least not until tomorrow, I'm quitting for the night:D :D .

Kelly C. Hanna
02-09-2006, 8:15 PM
I hate it when I do that on door casings...happens every once in awhile and it makes me feel like a moron.

John Miliunas
02-09-2006, 8:23 PM
Been there, done that! Didn't even get the T-shirt!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Ken Shoemaker
02-09-2006, 8:28 PM
Been there, done that... lost the dang t-shirt , had nothin' to remind me, did it again..:o :D

John Pollman
02-09-2006, 8:29 PM
Bummer !

Ever do Crown molding ? ;) It happens to EVERYONE doing Crown. :)

I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Take care,

John

Joe Chritz
02-09-2006, 9:01 PM
I hear ya... must be the day.

I just put the stile cut on the rails for some vanity doors upside down. I even said last time only have writing on one side of the pieces. Ended early for the day myself.

I'll give you a smack if you return the favor. :o

Joe

Dale Thompson
02-09-2006, 9:40 PM
David,
You think that YOU have problems!? :eek: My standard MO is to cut my Crown, other miters, bevels, dados, ploughs and even lengths on the wrong side, the wrong fence setting, the wrong angle or even the wrong saw. Fortunately, this only happens on the first three tries. :( On the fourth try, I invariably get it WRONG!! ;) :o

I'm an outstanding, stellar example of my all-time favorite phrase, "PRACTICE MAKES IMPERFECT!!" :D I would advise you whiners to join me every day in thanking GOD that wood is a "renewable" resource!! :) :)

Dale T.

David Duke
02-09-2006, 9:58 PM
David,
....I would advise you whiners to join me every day in thanking GOD that wood is a "renewable" resource!! :) :)

Dale T.

Dale, the only thing that worries me is that even thought it is "renewable", the dang trees don't grow as fast as I can make sawdust. Guess thats why lumber is so expensive........supply and demand, we mess it up faster than it can grow:D :D .

Keith Christopher
02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Learned my lesson there. I now use chalk to mark every board. I HATE when I do stuff like that. Take a breather and come back around. We've all been there done that. Even DMarks makes comments about NEEDing to use witness marks. ;)

John Pollman
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I've done a few crown jobs recvently. I've learned to make a mark showing me which way to cut the angle. The waste has been greatly reduced.

John

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Bummer! I do like Keith and DMarks does and use chalk. Hate to say but been there done that.

Reg Mitchell
02-10-2006, 12:30 AM
when i was doing the crown in my house I made a correct outsid and inside miter. Befor i cut a piece i would lay the pattern piece on top of the molding to make sure I was cutting it right.
The biggest problem I hade was getting the pattern right :eek: , and i always get an extra piece for my brain dead moments.

Norman Hitt
02-10-2006, 6:00 AM
The only woodworkers who say they haven't made the wrong cut, either have NEVER cut a board yet, or are LYING about it. Just read MY Signature line.:rolleyes: :D

Guy Boulianne
02-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Just spent the last two hours milling the cherry stock for a couple of clocks I'm building, 32 pcs for the frame. Simple frame for the glass to fit in, 3/4 x 3/4 with a 1/4 x 1/2 rabbet for the glass to fit in with 45* angles on each end. Had them all cut and was gluing up when I noticed that I had cut the angle on the wrong edge :mad: :mad: :mad: !

Well I guess it was fun until then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Hi David.

As others said.... well I wont repaeat....

Do you intend to save these parts ???

Iy you can't downsize the frames for any reasons, is your design could incorporate the addition of some corner blocks ??? Maybe even Hiligthing it with a contrating wood (maple for a big contrast on the clear color side, Walnut on the dark side or mahogany for a softer contrast).

I attach a drawing of one implementation of the idea using triangular corner.

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I recently drilled a series of holes (and countersink holes) on the wrong side of a bench project I was building. Spent the next few hours repairing the damage by drilling the entire holes out and plugging with a dowel, then turned right around and drilled the exact same holes (and countersink holes) on the WRONG side again!! Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Alan Burhop
02-10-2006, 1:23 PM
Isn't the old saying

:D "Cut twice measure once.":rolleyes:

I've been known to tripple check everything only to have read the wrong dimension in the first place.

David Duke
02-10-2006, 1:53 PM
Hi David.

As others said.... well I wont repaeat....

Do you intend to save these parts ???

Iy you can't downsize the frames for any reasons, is your design could incorporate the addition of some corner blocks ??? Maybe even Hiligthing it with a contrating wood (maple for a big contrast on the clear color side, Walnut on the dark side or mahogany for a softer contrast).

I attach a drawing of one implementation of the idea using triangular corner.

Guy, can't really change the design, the frame already has fluted corner columns. What I will do is shorten the stiles for use as the shorter rails, all I'll have to make are new stiles.

David Duke
02-10-2006, 2:06 PM
Isn't the old saying

:D "Cut twice measure once.":rolleyes:

I've been known to tripple check everything only to have read the wrong dimension in the first place.

Alan, I'm a welder by trade and my brother and I were building a 34' long test frame for drilling jars. This thing was made of 15" - 40# per ft stuff, well it had two of these running parallel 25" apart, after tacking the parts to the feet in looking down the rails it was obvious that one of these was straight and the other flaring off, both of us measured and 25" all the way down, measured again same thing :confused: :confused: , friend of ours happened by and we had him measure, 25", after going to lunch and scratching our head for a couple of hours, measured again, 26" at the flared out section:eek: :eek: , we knew it was out but guess we were looking without seeing.

Dale Thompson
02-10-2006, 8:38 PM
The only woodworkers who say they haven't made the wrong cut, either have NEVER cut a board yet, or are LYING about it. Just read MY Signature line.:rolleyes: :D

Norman,
I LOVE your signature but sometimes it gets TOTALLY out of hand in MY shop. :o ;) :) By the way, I have NEVER made a "WRONG CUT"!! At least that is the opinion of my fireplace! :eek: :)

Dale T.