PDA

View Full Version : Project Completed: Oak Night Stands

Jon Farley
02-09-2006, 4:28 PM
Just prior to finishing my new assembly table (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30962), I completed a project that LOML had commissioned for our bedroom. I had left a copy of Woodsmith lying around which she looked through and promptly zeroed in on a blanket chest project with a fixed top and false front concealing a tilt-out storage bin. She liked the idea of the tilt-out bin and asked me if I could turn the design into some night stands. So, I took the design and basically cut the length in half while keeping the other dimensions intact. I am pleased with the results. More importantly, she is pleased, and we have eliminated the unsightly clutter of books, magazines and catalogs piled on the shelves of our old mismatched stands. Thanks for looking.

Jim Hager
02-09-2006, 4:40 PM
That is pretty slick Jon. Great project and good execution

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2006, 5:03 PM
Jon...........I really like the style and exection! Excellent!

john whittaker
02-09-2006, 5:04 PM
Nice job Jon...Never thought of that idea before. Thanks for posting. Always good to please the wife.

Doug Stewart
02-09-2006, 5:06 PM
Very nice work. I like the idea. How did you get the door to work? I would like to try something like that also.

Michael Ballent
02-09-2006, 6:07 PM
Very cool idea... I have never seen that before :) Nicely done!!!

Lou Morrissette
02-09-2006, 6:44 PM
Pretty slick idea, Jon. I would also like to know how the door is attached. Great job.

Lou

Matt Tawes
02-09-2006, 6:49 PM
Very nice....cool concept of the tilt-out for a night stand or even an end-table cabinet idea.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2006, 6:55 PM
Very nice! I'll have to show these to LOML.

Corey Hallagan
02-09-2006, 7:11 PM
That is cool Jon, nice work!!
Corey

Bob Noles
02-09-2006, 7:24 PM
Jon,

That is one really cool design. I like everything about this project right down to the finish.

Thanks for sharing

Jon Farley
02-09-2006, 8:30 PM
The door/tilt-out bin swivels down via two wood screws which pass through the inside of the bin and are sunk about 1/2' into the insides of the side rails. The holes in the sides of the bin have a metal bushing in them. This makes for a smoother operation and minimizes the "wear and tear" on the hole in the plywood. Also, there are washers acting as spacers in between the bin and the side rails. These help eliminate any side-to-side play in the bin. There are also some leaf-type springs attached to the inside of the cabinet toward the rear. As the bin closes, it rubs against these springs and causes a "soft" closing effect so as to avoid having it slam shut on fingers.

I adapted this from a design in a recent issue of Woodsmith (No. 162). For those interested, I just checked the web and it seems as though the the plans are downloadable here: http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/162/extras/tilt-out-storage-chest/

Peter Pedisich
02-09-2006, 9:08 PM
Jon,

WOW, great job.

I see the new Cabela's in there next to the Grizzly!;)

Pete

Bill Arnold
02-10-2006, 7:16 AM
Jon,

Great idea! Your execution of the design looks top-notch. Isn't it wonderful what we do to keep our other halves happy?

Regards,

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 7:25 AM
Jon

Very interesting. Nice work. I like the raised panels.